1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Swap Switch Tutorial

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by pizzag, Apr 22, 2007.

1. pizzag

pizzag Member

thanks, i appreciate it. but in the long run i did it to hopefully help the scene. i'm not in it for the fame and fortune lol. i just hope it helps some people, and someday i hope to be playing off the hard drive. i just wish i knew how to write programs. i would have already rewrote hda for ps3 =)

2. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

I totally understand you but it's still important...you don't know how many times I have stumbled across my tutorial on some obscure website that has edited the crap out of it and never gave any props as to where it came from, that I wrote it and without ANY permission! Either way great work you deserve the credit...you did the work!

3. pizzag

pizzag Member

just as a side note, the swap trick idea was not mine, and has been out for a while but required hacking your ps3 into pieces by cutting a hole in the top of the blu-ray drive and leaving the top off of the ps3. i just came up with the switch idea and made it so that it is easier and the ps3 is still cosmetically sound. i don't have a video recorder, and i borrowed the crappy camera from a friend otherwise i'd have better pictures. sorry

4. pizzag

pizzag Member

another nifty piece of news i just got is that i will shortly be getting a blu-ray backup of a ps3 game (which i own) and trying to boot it. and i will be borrowing a decent video cam and posting my results. and i will work on editing my pictures so that they are better. expect my results in the next few weeks unless someone beats me to it.=)

5. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

I made that clear on Maxconsole (about you making a switch mod not the swap trick itself) as the poster was trying to make it seem it was old and made by that BS News site.

6. SirRaven

SirRaven Member

If you get a chance, I'd like your insight on my question from page 1 about how the checks are done w/ the ps3. Mainly, if the sensor itself acts as the power/eject button of the PS2 relaying authenticity checks.

I'm curious as to how you figure the multi-switch method would work. Still trying to figure out where exactly the checks occur w/ the ps3's loading scheme.

7. pizzag

pizzag Member

i would say that the eject button itself is a check, and the slot loader sensor is also a check. and then when you load the game into the drive is where i would guess you have the main media check to make sure it is a valid game. with the switch, you bypass the eject button check, and with the slot load sensor disabled you also bypass that check. so when the game is in the drive and the ps3 reads it as a valid game, there are no more checks and you can freely swap away. i hope that answers your question. that's just my opinion of course. and also, i did try the switch with the load sensor enabled and when i unloaded the game to swap, the sensor picked up that the game was being unloaded which in turn unloaded the media from the ps3 xmb.

8. Supagrafx

Supagrafx Member

One could probably even use quick disconnects instead of soldering, if they weren't so inclined as the 6 terminals below the "off middle switch" are disconnect capable. Also, the bluray drive cables could be cut and spliced with new ones, I'm thinking, avoiding the desolder and solder method again. Pizzag, Have you tested imported backup ps2 media and does this work/region free, ect...???? Also the toggle switch, was it the 6A or 10A/120~240 VAC?? Like to know before considering going through with this...

9. pizzag

pizzag Member

the switch says 6a 125vac and 3a 250vac. i have never played imports, so no i haven't tried. if the ps3 plays ps2 games region free to begin with i would think it would work, but i don't think it does. i think only ps3 games are region free, but i'm not sure.

10. alien1201

alien1201 Member

I help to answer the switch about "6A or 10A/120~240VAC" its means this switch able to use on the range 6-10A;120-240V. (A=Ampere, the SI unit of electrical current; VAC= Voltage AC) Seem the range of switch can be use at more higher of voltage and ampere, so that this switch is No Problem use on a small DC voltage motor.

As my know there is few type of 3-way switch, if u plan to buy must remember its middle off 3-way switch

I got question as well, is that play a backup Ps2 must put in Original Ps2 game. How about put in Original Ps3 game for doing swap?

11. pizzag

pizzag Member

you can't put in an original ps3 game to swap for a ps2 backup because the laser is in blu-ray mode. blu-ray laser color is different than the dvd laser.

12. sniper78

sniper78 Regular member

I had the same theory when people were trying to boot ps2 backups with the game firmware bypass method.

13. SirRaven

SirRaven Member

thanks pizzag that did answer it. I was curious because I remembered the ps2 checked only w/ the actual button. If the sensor is causing checks, theoretically, it should be possible to bypass the extra commands. Worst case scenario, replace the sensor board w/ another that is linked up directly to powering the motor. Hmm, mod ideas coming to mind, I'd really like to dive in there to take a look but I fear the ps3's $ amount.

I'm not to keen on the idea of soldering w/in the ps3, just yet either...you are a brave fella pizzag.

14. Supagrafx

Supagrafx Member

I opened the ps3 last night for the first time ever, got as far as lifting the sheet metal off the blu-ray drive. I will do it again tonight. The ps3 case is flimsy as hell. Off topic, I previously said I'd paint the case, which I will, but found that the metallic letters inscribed on the side of the ps3 can be peeled out quite easily, so that after painting, one could put the stickers back in and it look somewhat professional. Taking apart the ps3, I believe many will feel the same way, due to it's "cheap feeling," will further the urge to hack it. I found the universal power supply at another radio shack, and damn, it was like 40 bucks. Pizzag, I take it you cut off the head of the output which lets you put the appropriate adapter on it and just electrical taped the ground and the 3v output?

15. nel26

nel26 Guest

i would have thought by now there would be a way to load ps2 iso's on the ps3. guess i was wrong lol i dont even care about the ps3 iso loader for now, but i would like to play ps2 games without having to open my ps3 .....

16. BonScott1

BonScott1 Guest

Keep doing the great work pizzag! I'm very curious about the Blu-ray back-up thing :).It's a shame that the mentioned site has stolen your wonderful work!They deserve to burn in hell!!!

17. Dachno

Dachno Member

Thank you very much for sharing this with the AD community!

18. TeamDX

TeamDX Member

Ok, I tried this, and I am running firmware 1.70. Doesn't load PS2 back up, but it will still load PS2 originals and Blu-ray, basically everything works the same, I toggle the switch on/off, just cant get it to work. Not sure if I did it correctly... I will keep messing with it for a bit.

19. alien1201

alien1201 Member

Woot! the first bad news I hear on this method. ur PS3 is PAL or NTSC? Is that ur PS2 backup can be run at ps2 before?(by mod console or SM)

20. TeamDX

TeamDX Member

Using a NTSC PS3. And yes all the PS2 back up works fine on my modded PS2.