1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Swap Switch Tutorial

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by pizzag, Apr 22, 2007.

1. aubrey22

aubrey22 Member

hi,

1 problem i think i blew the fuse to the load and unload motor as its not taking in discs? do you know where the fuse is located so i could bridge it?

thanks in advance

2. av2008

av2008 Member

No problem jimmy, thanks for your appreciation

By the way dont let that repair guy rip you off, if the laser dont need changing why change it?, i doubt your laser has a problem.

About your issue aubrey, are you sure your motor is not spinning, its probably the load sensor, if the ps3 is on standby and you insert a disk, does it beep and turn on?, if it dont you have a bad sensor

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  3. r3d2tango

r3d2tango Member

does this work with a ps3 bluray backup or no because i'd rather keep on using my ps2 with swap magic. i really want to play burned ps3 games though. thanks!

4. David891

David891 Regular member

Only works for ps2 and ps1 games. If you already have a ps2 with swapswitch I cant think of a reason to do this mod (maybe to kill some time..)

5. r3d2tango

r3d2tango Member

where did pizzag go? he said someone was sending him the backup and he disappeared :S

6. David891

David891 Regular member

Maybe he is now playing ps3 backups all day long..

Or sony fucked him in hiss ass.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  7. r3d2tango

r3d2tango Member

atleast he could've said yes or no. did anyone else try?

8. Jimmy6166

Jimmy6166 Member

Hi AV & David,

I promised I would update you regarding my PS3.

I just got it back today after a whole week!!

Everytime I called him, he always goes, I havn't had time to look at it.

I was suspecting he was digging around these forums to see if he could get any advice. -_-;

Cos when I gave him the PS3, he asked me where are the controllers, as he has not got any. But said he would run a demo to test if it is working. . .

In the end, He has been able to restore original functionality, he reckons that I knocked a really small switch on my blue ray drive circuit board, so he had to reinstall the switch. He also did a better solder job and the sensor wires I had cut.

So now my sensor is working and I have original functionality..
    At least for now!

So no need to replace the Laser or circuit board.

The damage was AUS60.00

Cheers again for your help guys.
    If you know of another mod which is an easier job, let me know :)

For now I'll put my soldering kit and tools away.

Have a good weekend!

9. David891

David891 Regular member

The easiest thing is just to buy a second hand ps2 and run backups on that with swap magic.
    And its maybe best to put those toold away :p

But about the weekend, it is thursday here, still one day school this week, not weekend -_-

10. av2008

av2008 Member

Hi, thanks for the update Jimmy,

Im glad your sorted,

There arnt any more mods so i suppose youll have to use a ps2,

The cost of the repair is pretty cheap considering what some
    people charge.

Have a good weekend too, bye

11. ccfman200

ccfman200 Member

Here is my mod setup:

I am using 1 switch, the 3 way one.

I disconnected both the sensor plug and the load/eject motor plug, I did not cut any wires.

I have found that when the PS3 is on I can manually load a disc and the PS3 WILL recognize it.

The way I swap original discs goes as follows:

1. Press the eject button (yes, I know this won't physically eject the disc with my setup, but it does stop the disc from spinning and removes the disc icon in the xmb, which is what I want.)

2. Manually eject the disc via the switch.

3. Press the eject button a couple of times so you hear the beeps that are made because there is no disc in the drive. (This resets the drive and makes it ready to accept a new disc.)

4. Start to put a new disc in and then manually load the disc.

I have done this several times and the PS3 always reads the new without a problem.

Also,
    anyone who has desoldered the original motor wires, make sure you when you re-solder them later that you solder them to the correct points otherwise the load/eject will be reversed.

I do have 2 modded PS2's that I use swap magic with, but I like the idea of being able to play PSX and PS2 backups on my PS3 for 1 simple reason, virtually unlimited memory card space (Those 8MB cards are $20 each) plus I like the idea of being able to backup most PSX and PS2 game saves to an SD card.

Right now there is only 1 PS2 game I own that does work properly in my PS3, other than that 1 game, I play all of PSX and PS2 games on my PS3.

I always use swap magic for my PS2 backups since they have the largest TOC for both CD and DVD. I wish swap magic would get into gear an release a DL version.

I have say thanks for everyone's work.

I AM glad I read the entire thread before I tried to play a PS3 backup on a DVD-DL, I am a computer tech and had no idea that there were different modes in an optical drive. (Would explain why one of PS2's would read CD's but not DVD's since I thought there was no difference when the drive reads different media.)

Would it be possible to take a PS2 game that is normally on a CD (Blue backed) and burn it to a DVD and have it still work or is there some kind of media check?

I remember that some PS1 games have additional checks to prevent swapping and the ISO had to be patched to remove them. Anyone know if there are any PS2 games that have similar additional checks?

BTW:
    I am planning on using one of the PS3's usb ports to power the motor, I know the USB is 5 volts, what do I need to reduce it to 3 volts? Please list RadioShack part numbers or links, Thank

To people who have tried to play PS3 backups, How were the original games ripped (using a PC Blu-Ray drive or using the PS3 Swiss army knife?)

All in all, I don't mind manually loading and eject the discs, all I care about is that I can play backups without running the risk of damaging any part on the PS3.

Let's keep up the good work.

12. av2008

av2008 Member

ccfman, it is possible to convert a ps2 cd game to dvd and play it using something called cddvdgen, this should insert the correct checks, i cant be sure

Most games dont have checks so you can use this method

http://johnnys-epitaph.com/ps2cd2dvd.html

13. ccfman200

ccfman200 Member

I am working on a control panel type package that will make the risk of sending extra voltage down the motor circuit board impossible. I will have a switch that will turn backup mode on or off.

In backup mode the motor will be in manual and the sensor will be turned off.

In original mode the motor will be auto and you will not be able to manually load/eject a disc which should eliminate the problem people are having and will enable the sensor.

Also I have discovered the cable that supplies power to the disc spinning motor.

I am trying to come up with a way of making the 8 1/2 min wait down to 0.

As a side note:
    I tried to do the swap with 2 original USA PS3 games with the usual way and when the second game started up I got an error.

It seems that swapping PS3 games may be impossible even if they both are original from the same region.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  14. David891

David891 Regular member

Not only the motor must stop, but the laser must be stopped too if you want to switch, cause it seems not the motor gets killed but the laser. And I dont know if its good to just turn of motor and laser? Maybe ps3 will give error, or maybe the laser doesn't move upward, so while ejecting disc, the disc will scratch laser?

And you were sure the first game had a bigger TOC than your second game? otherwie try to swap the same games again but than your second game now as first game. Will probably not work but maybe woth a try.

15. ccfman200

ccfman200 Member

The games I used for the PS3 swap were Ratchet Tools of Destruction which is about 22GB and the second game was Rock Band which is about 5-6GB.

I have been using the swap trick since the PS1 so I know all about the TOC issue.

I figured if you can't switch original PS3 games from the same region then there is something else we have to figure out.

16. tsrps3

tsrps3 Regular member

2.50 still likes the switch ;)

17. tsrps3

tsrps3 Regular member

2.52 as well.

18. shvm123

shvm123 Member

see i performed this hack and everything but then when i try to insert a disc it just doesn't go in.
    it seems like something is blocking the thing
    i believe it is a problem here-
    [​IMG]
    i feel this because when i was taking this part out, all the gears and stuff came out with it
    i had to put them back together but i don't think i did a very good job
    can someone please help me with this problem?
    do i have to take it to Sony?
    I have a PAL 60GB PS3

19. yantz

yantz Member

heres what i did. without closing the ps3 cover, force in a disc using your fingers to push in the disc. something will prevent it from going in fully, but just push it. a loud click will sound. this will sit the gears into its proper position. then use the motor to eject the disc. it should work now.

20. shvm123

shvm123 Member

i have already tried that... it did not work
    i think the spring that holds it together has stopped working
    is it possible to buy the part somewhere?
    or can it be fixed?