1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Swap Switch Tutorial

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by pizzag, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Spender85

Spender85 Member

As the OP is running firmware 1.51, it looks as though this exploit has already been patched.

2. alien1201

alien1201 Member

maybe something wrong

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  3. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Your information is wrong.

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  4. wuppy

wuppy Guest

will this trick work on a pal PS3?

5. alien1201

alien1201 Member

Hmm... I just got PAL ps3 Fw1.5, planing to do this swap and stay the Fw at 1.5 for wait I$OL**der.
    BUT PAL Fw1.5 ps3 can't play a lot of ps2 game, at least I update to Fw1.7.

Now I need to have a choice on my front,
    1. Stay Fw1.5 play few ps2/ps3 game to wait I$OL**der.
    2. Update to Fw1.7 with the swap trick to play lot ps2 game.

6. Ph0enix

Ph0enix Guest

it works perfect on my Japaneses PS3 , but I still have a question , I have MGS3 subsistence NTSC/UC and its original , do you think its safe to play MGS online on my Japanese PS3 without being banned or something?

I mean it will look like running an American game on a Japaneses ps2 ?

Thanks in Advance

7. wuppy

wuppy Guest

Ok just to be sure i have a ps3 pal firmware 1.7 will the swap work?

8. kurian2z5

kurian2z5 Member

That is total BULLSHIT.. First of all original PS2 discs have no encryption whatsoever.. The protection is nothing but the region code and ECC error data (uncopyable) which identifies it as original. It has nothing to do with the content of the disc. An original discs filesystem is identical to a copy. Thats why you can swap it once that info has been verified.

PS3 Blu-ray disc's entire filesystem is encrypted and thats why it will NOT show the files in Windows (but the disc can still be copied in RAW mode). Now the DECRYPTION CODES for the filesystem are stored in the uncopiable area of the disc (the first 20 sectors which are proteted by corrupt ECC hence uncopyable). This code is re-read subsequently and thats why all attempts to swap a PS3 disc with a blu-ray copy have failed because it will not be present on the copy.

9. chrissy12

chrissy12 Guest

hi there is 1 thing i wnat to know,, were do you get the power out of?? do i need ta hook it up ta a plug or what or does them 2 wire you solder do the job wb

10. QuePaso

QuePaso Member

Can anyone confirm that this still works in 1.80 firmware? Please let me know ASAP, i would love to upgrade to it as long as it still works.

11. drassini

drassini Guest

Just read this topic with great interest. Some great work done here. Can anyone confirm if this will work with the pal uk ps3's? I only ask cos I heard they have emulation software inside for ps2 whereas other ps3's have a chip. This may be inaccurate but I thought it prudent to ask before messing up my warranty. :)

12. akunin

akunin Member

Hey Pizzag, great hack! I've been following this thread for a while and I'll definitely take my box apart to give this a try as soon as I find a suitable switch. Since I know my way around with a soldering iron and only paid about $410 for my 60gig PS3 here in Japan I won't be as worried screwing up as most people here seem to be.

I wish more people would dare to try it, though, so we could all collaborate and optimize what Pizzag started. For one, I'm sure we can get the 3 Volt from within the PS3 so that no external power source is necessary. C'mon people, let's break out the digital multi-meters and start measuring!

13. Supagrafx

Supagrafx Member

Yeah, no doubt!!! There must be 3v we could get from the power supply. Couldn't get 3v from usb since that is 5v. Also, instead of a three way switcher, how bout' using two arcade sanwa pushbuttons, as seen in arcade joysticks? This would look a lot better than the three way switcher!! You could even get the led sanwa buttons which illuminate!! I don't understand why we need a three way switcher, wouldn't a two way be enough. Aka, one button for off, one button for on????? This would be the bomb!!!!

14. Supagrafx

Supagrafx Member

Actually, I thought about this after I wrote this and went for a walk on the canal, that one pushbutton might only be needed if it's microswitch is of the kind that has a continuous power as well as the ground and normal pushbutton {+}. The two pushbutton method I said earlier would not work as there is no switcher involved. I would think however the one button method w/ continuity could work and look cool.

15. drassini

drassini Guest

I dont know if a push button switch would work as it only has 2 positions on and off. (correct me if I am wrong I am no tech head) Well do you not need a 3 way switch? on(pull disk in) off on(Eject disk) Thats how I thought it worked.

I am all for this mod looking nice and tidy, so I am browsing maplins online as we speak lol

16. akunin

akunin Member

Yes, that what he does by soldering a cross on the switch (on picture 3 and 4) effecting in feeding the motor +3V in one position or -3V on the other. I'm still looking for a smart way to find a ~3V source from withing the PS3. Not sure I wanna have it powered on with the hood open while poking around with my volt meter :(

17. tsrps3

tsrps3 Regular member

I'm more and more interested by this mod and would like to know the following before I attempt doing it :

- Does the trick still work on firwmare version 1.80 ?

- Are we able to load ORIGINAL imports?

- Does it work for both PS1 *and* PS2 games or only PS2?

If you tried the mod, please give as many details as you can, what you tried, how it works, if there is a problem with different TOC, etc..

Thank you very much

18. Chaos_

Chaos_ Member

Anyone know if this still works on 1.8?

19. simon2196

simon2196 Member

Here Here, things we all need to know have already been asked, does this work on 1.80?

Will this boot imports without swap magic first?

Can someone make better pictures, and show in more detail the 3 switch method?

Thanks in advance.

Simon

20. virus3

virus3 Member

simon this method works with FW 1.80 my current FW, I have a NTSC US system that works perfectly I tried Japanese and PAL PS2 backup games and both of them worked fine, but you u need to boot any orignal disc (even swap magic) depending on your consol ex: PS3 US use orignal US ps2 game then swap, same goes for PAL and JAP, but I think not all games will load on the PAL system since the backward compatiblity isn't complete