1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Swap Switch Tutorial

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by pizzag, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Sisee

Sisee Member

I'm just glad someone understood it.
    I'm disappointed to. Especially as I think SwapMagic turns off the laser making it safer for swaping (the disc still spins slow though), cutting out having to wait for the PS3 to stop spinning on it's own. I also didn't know about the reader turning off, not until I had finished.

As for batteries, I was thinking;
    You can buy Wii battery packs with USB charging stations. USB is 5 volts, but the batteries are 3 volts so (as the controller runs off 2x AA).
    So, perhaps we could use a USB or other known 5 volt supply to power a dismantled Wii battery charger, connected to the rechargeable battery that comes with it.
    This would allow us to power the motor with the needed 3 volts, but also, if the supply we use does turn off in PS2 mode (like the card reader), we would still have power.
    Just something to think about.
    Especially as I think you can pick up Wii charging kits for around £7 in the UK.
    I have a charger, but the battery is dead. Still, I think I might experiment with it.

2. tsrps3

tsrps3 Regular member

Not at all, SwapMagic does absolutely nothing good on ps3, it doesn't stop the laser and is so poorly pressed / manufactured that it will only increase the chance of the laser getting fucked up.
    Stay away from this horrible product imho.
    Later,

TSR

3. Sisee

Sisee Member

My word! Sounds like you got burned bad by a defective product.
    Granted, the discs do have a "cheap" look about them. But it's a readable DVD and/or CD.
    And it's a universal TOC, so can be used for most games.
    The key word being "most". Personally I haven't heard of any that don't work from the original owner of my copy, but the instructions do have a section on using alternative TOCs.

As for extra risk of damage, I'd put those fears to rest. People have used SwapMagic for years on PS2, and I haven't heard of anyone having damage to the laser from it.
    Granted the old PS2s tray motors could be damaged by forcing from the slide tool. But we're not doing that on the PS3.

Since I've only used it while my PS3 is open. I can see what's going on and the disc does slow down to an idle spin, but when I take the disc away, I didn't see the laser try and look for the disc. Although the motor still does try revving up.

4. Jawn86

Jawn86 Member

is their an internal way to get power for the switch ?
    could i use the original power wires ?

I'm interested in doing this swap.
    i to went to radio shack and got the switch. i ended up with the exact same switch.! whoo!

5. David891

David891 Regular member

you cant use the original power wires, cause the original power wires only give electricity when you press eject button.

I used my card reader for it, thought the pictures of where to connect wires to card reader are deleted.

6. Jawn86

Jawn86 Member

yeah i did think of that later.

were at on the card reader ? and will i still be able to use the card readers ?

7. David891

David891 Regular member

My card reader stil works. It has been posted in this topic before. But those pictures are removed I thought.

But I dont remember where I soldered the wires onto.

8. edepot

edepot Guest

I think there are lots of people who have disassembled their PS3 in this thread. Has anyone ever taken a close look at their motherboard? It should have a serial number on it. You can match your serial number with the numbers here: spam removed

Also if you look at: spam removed

It has a listing of the motherboards as they evolved in time. If you have some of the missing pics, please do take a picture and post it online or do it at that site. Afterwards, you can simply look at the motherboard and know what model it is and what hardware is compatible with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2009
  9. FernandoB

FernandoB Member

Hi ppl, 2.60 update ok? thanks

10. tsrps3

tsrps3 Regular member

yup, sure is ;)

11. Nimbus_

Nimbus_ Member

Anyone have a Video of (someone doing) this?? I'm kinda scared to mess with my PS3's insides so I'd feel more comfortable if there was a video of someone actually building the parts and installing it. Thanks to those that can help.

P.S: I checked YouTube but it only has people with it already installed with the switch. Also, I know about the USB Advance thing, but I only have a MGS4 80GB PS3 (which uses Software Emulation).

12. goody1928

goody1928 Member

i just did this with a massive amount of photos. i did the one with three switches... it actually only takes two because you can use a dp/st toggle and a dp/dt toggle and thats all you need. easy but time consuming. time to garbage that old ps2 of mine now

oh ya i forgot to ask. can i use 12 volt power from somewhere in the ps3 or do i have to have 3 volt power for the main switch i ahve everything hoocked up but the power for that switch

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  13. tsrps3

tsrps3 Regular member

12V for the tray motor???
    you're gonna kill it for sure. Use 3v (2 AAA or AA batteries or ac adapter set to 3v).
    Later,

TSR

14. Nimbus_

Nimbus_ Member

Nobody wants to make a video. :(

Well could someone at least make a video about soldering the wire(s) to the switch. PS, I plan to do ChokeDYou method, so if anyone has ever done his method, help please.

15. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

Well 5 volts. I plan on installing this mod tomorrow since my ps3 is now long out of warranty. I will get a current reading from this source and do the math to let everyone know what resistor to use. runs some wires from the leads and make sure the proper resistor is in place before it gets to the switch. That should do it for a constant power supply for the motor, correct?

16. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

The USB loader method now works with the EE. The PS3 you have will work fine with USB loader.

17. Nimbus_

Nimbus_ Member

Don't suppose you have/know a tutorial for that??

18. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

OK well I'm a dumb@$$. I just tried this mod and now it seems as though my system doesnt even detect the drive. It wont spin, or read. Anyone else run into this problem yet?

19. David891

David891 Regular member

Did you reconnect both cables? (data cable and power cable)

20. Nimbus_

Nimbus_ Member

I was looking at this Tutorial and it says that it doesn't work with Software Emultation, only EE (Emotion Engine).

http://www.haxnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=8791