1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Swap Switch Tutorial

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by pizzag, Apr 22, 2007.

1. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

That is an older thread. Go to haxnetwork.net and you will be able to download the right package. The newest version works with PS3s without the EE as well as PAL units. It doesn't work as well as the swap switch, but it does work.

2. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

My ribbon turned out to be damaged. I found a new one on ebay and the guy even guaranteed it. Thank god. I was flipping out over my PS3 being broken, but I saw where someone had the same problem and it was the ribbon. One pin of my ribbon broke off. The switches work though so now I'm just waiting on my ribbon.

3. Nimbus_

Nimbus_ Member

http://www.haxnetwork.net/downloads.php?do=cat&id=10

Could you tell me which one(s) I need?? Thanks.

4. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

5. Nimbus_

Nimbus_ Member

6. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

That tutorial is outdated. Trust me it works. The uploader of the package I linked you to has a PAL ps3 and it works on his. I can't find the tutorial, but you should be able to follow the one you are seeing, but use the package I linked you to. I have heard that swap magic 3.6 is better for this, but I have no experience seeing that I don't have swap magic yet. I personally would use 2.8 coder.

7. Nimbus_

Nimbus_ Member

I have an NTSC/American PS3.

8. tsrps3

tsrps3 Regular member

2.70 -> OK.

9. FernandoB

FernandoB Member

Thank you, tsrps3, I was just going to ask... :). By the way, you know if it's possible to downgrade the firmware? Or to bypass the PSN version check? Thanks again.

10. TrowaX31

TrowaX31 Guest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hey guys long time reader first time poster. Let's start out by me thanking you guys for such a great find,putting your time into it and also helping people out when in need.I have a ps3 for like about 2-3 years now so warranty is long over due,with that on the side :) i would like to try this mod out.I would like to make my mod based on ChokeDYou intercooler fan.The picture above i still don't understand fully.First off the disc sensor you draw a switch with 4 wires going into that one switch does this mean that you cut the sensor wire on top of the case and rewire both end to the same switch (board wire) (Disc Sensor wire).On the ps3 board you draw a set of wire going into the other on-off switch and drive motor into that same switch also,are the wires labeled ps3 board the same ones you unsolder off the motor ? thanks i know it's hard to understand hope you still get what i am trying to say here. :D keep up the good work your system looks awesome man.One more thing how do you know which pin is which on the switch.So the blue ink means original board wires reroute to the switch right ? Sorry again i am bad at explaining things.Did you get most of the stuff from radio shack or walmart.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2009
  11. David891

David891 Regular member

First of all, I dont understand fully what you mean. Cause I am not so good in english and your explenation is not so good at all.

About the sensor switch:
    You can do it much easier, by cutting one of the 2 sensor wires, and place a switch between it. That way you also turn it off or turn it to original. btw, if I remember right I didnt switch off the sensor once, but I still could switch without any problem. So Im not sure if its neccesary to cut sensor wire, but I could be wrong.

About the switch, ps3 board wires are indeed the 2 wires that go to the motor.
    What you mean in the end I dont really understand..

12. TrowaX31

TrowaX31 Guest

Thanks you for replying.I was trying to say that if you flip the switch upside down you will see 6 pins right, is there any way to tell the difference from pin 1,3,4,6 they are all in the corner how do you know which is which ? is there a number on them?.sorry bad in English.

13. David891

David891 Regular member

The numbers are ment to make show where to connect the wires.
    The switch is exactly the same if you turn it upside down, dont worry about that.
    Just make sure you connect board and motor wires the way on this picture, so + on the left side and - on the right side.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  14. TrowaX31

TrowaX31 Guest

Alright thanks again for the quick reply i am going out to get the material right now and hope to get this mod working.Do i have to wait 8min 30sec before i can swap the disc or does that only apply to the 3 way switch method?.

15. David891

David891 Regular member

You still have to wait 8 min 30 for the laser to stop and the disc to stop spinning.
    Only difference of the 3 way switch method is that you can switch between original functions and the mod.
    For the sensor I used a one-way switch and it works good (3 way switch is much more work)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  16. TrowaX31

TrowaX31 Guest

I am to lazy to go get it today maybe tomorrow. Here are the following things i have so far and need to get.
    Have:
    Soldering Iron
    Solder
    Screwdriver set
    Electrical tape
    Glue gun but no glue stick ( is this really needed ? )
    Duck tape
    Knife
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Need:
    2 AA Battery Casing
    22 Gauge wire 6 ft red 6 ft black ( 22 gauge is good? )
    1 3-way DPDT Mini toggle switch does it have to be 6A contacts to work ?
    2 2-way DPDT Mini toggle switch would SPDT switch work ?
    T10 Torx screwdriver

Anything else you think i need to get this mod on the road. So the switch with the motor is a 2 way and the one with the power source is the 3 way switch right ?

17. David891

David891 Regular member

- You dont need a glue gun, maybe if you want to glue the switshes on something.
    - we dont use you word gauge in my country, but 22 should good.
    - if 6A means 6 amperes, of course you dont need 6 amperes since there is only 3 volts and a few miliamperes going through the switch.
    - if you want to do the mod as on the picture you posted, you will need 2 x 2-way DPDT toggle switches. For the sensor you can use a simple on-off switch if you want to.
    - yes, the switch on the motor is 2 way (switch between original and mod) switch on power source 2 way (disc in, off, disc out)
    - what you need most is be sure you want to do this mod, and have some solder experience, as it was not easy for me to solder.

18. David891

David891 Regular member

19. TrowaX31

TrowaX31 Guest

Is it possible to put a switch on the power source to turn on and off the battery when the system is not in use so it don't drain the battery.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2009
  20. David891

David891 Regular member

I dont think you drain the battery since your 3 way switch in in mode 'off' as you dont use the switch, so no need for that.