1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Swap Switch Tutorial

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by pizzag, Apr 22, 2007.

1. spriggsy

spriggsy Member

ok, fianlly managed to get this to work. took ages to get the cover back on the drive. any way worked out that you can get a 5 volt feed from the four wires that connect the drive to the motherboard. use the one at the end furthest away from the black lead. works fine on mine. hope this helps.

uk ps3
    version 1.8

2. alien1201

alien1201 Member

wow, sound's like having a bit danger on the 3v motor. Do u have conect with any resistance or transfomer?

3. spriggsy

spriggsy Member

no just got it in there, however will put a few resisters in there i think just to be safe.

does any one no where i can get a switch that can operate two different feeds but only one button? if that makes any sense.

its so that i can turn the sensor and motor back to normal but with only one switch

4. chrissy12

chrissy12 Guest

hi can i can only get a 3 way toggle with 3 pins at bottom,, can i use it??? or does only a 6 pin 1 work wb

5. tsrps3

tsrps3 Regular member

no, you need definitely 6 pins at the bottom : 3x2
    2 for power
    2 for link to motor
    2 for inverse function

6. chrissy12

chrissy12 Guest

hi thanks for that,, when i get the switch aim goin to try this,, i have 20gb ps3 upgraded to 100gb,,so i hav room for the switch were the sd reader is . would i have to drill a hole there or could i slit it so it can fold up and down lyk 60gb one?? any suggestions ?

7. ryudee

ryudee Member

Have you tried maplins they should do it

8. alien1201

alien1201 Member

Dual ON-OFF switch from here DPST rocker switch
    Maybe this can give u some idea.

At the moment I still looking for a very thin wire to let it pass the original fan hole (top of PS3), so that I will no need to drill a hole. Actually my PS3 is 60GB so that no card space to let me drill a hole.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  9. drassini

drassini Guest

any chance of some pics of a fitted switch? just to give me an idea of how it will look.

10. tsrps3

tsrps3 Regular member

drill a hole? o_O
    There is no need, you can have the wires go under the part that maintains the plastic cover that shows/hides the card readers.
    ie, on the left or right of the card readers.

11. chrissy12

chrissy12 Guest

aww there is no space der it seald,, coz i hav a 20gb ps3

12. i1der

i1der Member

I'm too scared to try it... still have my games on PS2 HDD, if that function was unlocked on that trick i Would try 4 sure, but to this... it just not worth enough to risk.

13. SupraGaz

SupraGaz Guest

Hi all, I am currently going through the tutorial for using the switch method to play backup/other region PS2 games on my PS3.

I was wondering if someone could help me with acouple of questions.

Regarding the battery method rather than a plug device, Are the batteries being used just standard AA batteries or are the bigger?

tsrps3 Could you go in to more detail on your battery pack area with the switch etc as that is the bit i am confused on. I have the PS3 open and have soldered the wires to the motor and fed them under the circuit board through the hole. So now I just need to feed these wires from the motor to the switch/batteries but I am unsure what connects where but really like your battery idea. On your switch pic there are less wires connected to it compared to the pic on the first page.

Also, the switch on that circuit board with the 3 screws, should the small switch be pressed in or out when securing this back down?

Thanks very much,
    Regards
    Gaz

14. tsrps3

tsrps3 Regular member

in my case, i am using 2 standard AA batteries for 2x1.5 = 3 Volts (exactly the motor spec)

> tsrps3 Could you go in to more detail on your battery pack area
    > with the switch etc as that is the bit i am confused on. I have
    > the PS3 open and have soldered the wires to the motor and fed them
    > under the circuit board through the hole.

Great, you're 95% done then ;)

> So now I just need to feed these wires from the motor to the
    > switch/batteries but I am unsure what connects where but really
    > like your battery idea.

well it's very simple, i followed exactly the first post of this thread where the author explains where each wires go.
    But unlike the original author, i'm not using AC adapter as power source but simple batteries. So instead of having black & red wires from AC adatper, i have blakc & red wires from the battery pack. but the principle is the same: connect them to Pin 2 and Pin 5 of the interruptor (the middle pins).

> On your switch pic there are less wires connected to it compared to the pic on the first page.

Yes, the switch misses the 2 wires that have to be conneted to the motor on that first picture of mine.

> Also, the switch on that circuit board with the 3 screws, should
    > the small switch be pressed in or out when securing this back
    > down?

if you are putting the drive back together with no disc inside, the switch should be pressed out. This switch just tells the Ps3 that a disc is inside (when it is pushed in). It is needed for the mod as well as normal operation so don't modify the behavior of this switch at all.

15. SupraGaz

SupraGaz Guest

Thanks very much for clearling them points up for me.

My PS3 is Jap so im currently waiting for a Jap PS2 game to arrive that I bought off ebay so I can get into ps2 mode. Then, fingers crossed I can swap to my original PAL or backup PAL/ntsc games :)

Thanks to tsrps3 and the author!

Gaz

16. infusia

infusia Member

I've got a really puzzling question. In alot of torrent sites, they have ps3 games listed and downloadable from Seems like its backup games for ps3. So how do we run these games? Other than this wonderful method (credit to authors and supporting cast), i haven't seen anywhere being as advanced in playing back up games as this one. Can anyone verify this?

17. SupraGaz

SupraGaz Guest

1 last question. When you flick the switch to load a disc, does the drive start sucking immediately or does it not start until it feels a disc being pushed in?

I have fed the wires underneath the circuit board from the motor as said in the original tutorial and then fed the wires underneath the power/eject circuit board at the front to the corner with the card reader and then out underneath it through one of the holes in the grill/vent.

I should be ready to go for this tomorrow, just waiting for my Jap ps2 game to arrive and my switch. Cant wait :)

(I assume the switch has to be used all the time now to load/unload any disc)

18. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

19. Spender85

Spender85 Member

You mean they got it running Blu-ray PS3 games? We already know it works with PS2!

20. tsrps3

tsrps3 Regular member

no those ps3 isos do not work yet. they're distributed for research.

> 1 last question. When you flick the switch to load a disc, does the drive start sucking immediately or does it not start until it feels a disc being pushed in?

No when switch is to OFF, it doesn't suck. Put in "load" position and it will suck.

> I assume the switch has to be used all the time now to load/unload any disc.

That's right, but it's not so borring really ^^;

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007