1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSTwo: Swap Magic or Mod Chip?

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by fee, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Bradly

Bradly Member

meh get a mod chip who cares

2. MysTNitE

MysTNitE Member

ide rather use swap magic, till they come out with some usb mod chip or something thats really easy to install, or solder-less or w/e. this is the most practical, easy, idiot-proof way to play your back ups so far.

3. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

DMS E.Z.I. look it up. Its what you are talking about.

Ludikhris

4. MysTNitE

MysTNitE Member

nah, im talking about much simplier then that. it requires a lot and even has to have a chip taped to the outside of the system. its really not all that different then a soldering mod chip. im talkin super simple, like plug into the usb, and thats it. something like the thing i got my psone, all i had to do what attach a gameshark lookin thing to the back of the psone and it booted up games. now thats what im talkin about when i mean easy.

5. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

well even with the psone attachment you have to swap. the problem with just plug & play modchips (without opening the system) is that it only tricks the system by putting a disc with the proper digital signatures and media flags in the drive and then swap with one that does not. what a internal modchip does is
    The modchip will disable the data stream coming from the CD/dvd controller and will inject it's own string of code also The PS2 now executes this new code instead and the PS2 will think the software is always correclty signed and whatever else has been hacked into this "new BIOS code". The PS2 won't see that a copied disk is inserted by checking the media type.

If you are not technically inclined, the best solution is the swap magic.

6. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

its not possable to exicute new code into the system without some type of ground level connection to the motherboard.

7. MysTNitE

MysTNitE Member

now that you mention it, i did have to swap. i forgot about that cuz its been so long. it was still pretty convienent. and yea, i thought about how you cant really mod the ps2 without connecting straight to the mother board. just like you cant mess with a computer just using its usb port. ill just wait and see what these guys come up with next, until its simple enough, ill stick with swap magic.

8. HaloPimp

HaloPimp Member

there's another tool called the [bold]SLIMTOOL[/bold] wich let's you use the swap magic 3.3 on the new slim PS2 with the lid closed. it works great and doesn't void the warranty in any way. you can get them at www.techwizad.com or www.slimtool.com

9. MysTNitE

MysTNitE Member

yea, thats what i ordered. slim tools + swap magic. ill let you guys know how it works out.

10. Nox050

Nox050 Guest

11. JspOt

JspOt Member

For those who want better installation instructions with a Magic Switch and/or want to do a tape mod without voiding your warranty.

http://www.jspot.net/ps2.htm

12. fee

fee Member

I own a V12 (SLIM) PS2. Can anyone give me more info about the diode fix? Is it really necessary?

13. HaloPimp

HaloPimp Member

thats only necessary if you put a mod chip, just to be safe, swap magic works better and doesn't damage the PStwo in any way