1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting a label on a dual layer disc....

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by EBZ01, Mar 7, 2008.

1. EBZ01

EBZ01 Member

I've burned a few dvd's to some dual layer/double layer discs but my drive does either burning on lightsribe enabled disks w/o paper right onto the disc and the other settings seems to be straight to printer .... don't want to put paper on these. How can I put labels on these discs?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  2. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Use a Sharpie pen !

3. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Agree with BIGTOXY...

No labels. Big Sharpie. Life is good.

4. EBZ01

EBZ01 Member

Alright well I get some sharpie's. That won't mess up the disc?

5. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

As long as you don't write on the information side of the disc, it shouldn't. :)

6. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

EBZ01- Some people may say you should'nt use Sharpie Pens on your Dvd's CD's ect! And if you use a Marker on your disc at all! you should only use the Special Ones supposedly designed for that purpose! A. Those so called special CD/DVD marking pens are more expensive ! B. They don't do any better of a Job Than a Sharpie !. & C. After several years and many,many DVD'S & CDR's that I have used the Sharpie On I have yet to have a problem with any of them ! The supposed reason that Sharpie pens are not to be used is that they are supposed to be alcohol based and some people feel that this may affect the disc surface ! Like I said Before I've sharpie'd oodles and OOdles of disc both CD & DVD media and I've never noticed any problems! no matter if they are dual layer/double layer discs or regular single layer disc! In fact I will even own up to occasionally using Generic -Dollar Store Sharpie-type markers without incident as well Though I generally stick with the Good ol' Sharpie brand ! Their Cheap, Dependable and they come in a Myriad of Colors ! THough Black is mostly what I use ! with Occasional foray's into RED for Vampyre Movies !!!! - Though any color will work The Darker Colors like Black ect... tend to work best! Also F.Y.I On one or more occasions I have mislabeled one of my taiyo Yuden Thermal Prinatble disc ( they Work good with a Sharpie) And rather than toss that disc I found You can put a little alcohol on a Tissue / Cotton ball or soft cloth that you won't use anymore and with gentle rubbing if any it will take the old sharpie ink right off ! with no problem ! a little goes a long way so go lightly ! hope this was helpful !!! CiaO!

7. EBZ01

EBZ01 Member

Yes great advice :) ...... what are these thermal discs you're talking about?

8. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-8x-dvd-r-media-value-line.html These are Disc designed to be printed upon by a thermal printer ! Some people call the Silver Shiny's They have a Blank Silver Label-surface Taiyo Yuden makes 2 grades Valueline & Premium -The Valueline come wrapped in tape/shrink-wrapped like Some Ritek Media does and The Premium come in a regular Spindle like The Dvd Media you buy at the store ! The Premium Is supposed to be slightly better in some measurements done on super-high tech machines that Taiyo yuden uses to test them ! I personally have used the Valueline ones and find they work great for me and They also take Sharpie pens real good !The Premium are more expensive But Basically the same thing other than what I mentioned earlier.Here is a quick look at how Thermal printers work .How does thermal printing work?

In a thermal printer, there is a thermal ribbon that is pressed onto the surface of the disc. When the ribbon is pressed down on the disc, dots of color are laid next to one another. Unlike ink jet printers, the colors are not blended. This is repeated until the graphic or the text is finished. With a thermal printer, you do not need media with a printable surface. All you need is media with a lacquer surface. These brands include Taiyo Yuden, TDK, Mitsui, Verbatium, Maxell, Memorex, Sony, Printco, Ritek, and SKC- Be aware though that Thermal printers cannot print the Same quality image as an Inkjet ( If your looking for a near perfect copy of The Photo/image type label like commercial dvd movies have Thermals are'nt for you ! The do however produce a neat Proffesional looking disc if all you need to print is text and maybe some small graphics . Thermally printed disc are also smudgeproof and dry once you print them ! Cosmetically the thermal printed disc are nicer /more proffesional,neater looking than a sharpie Pen But not as commercial/proffesional looking as inkjet printed disc ! It's all in what you like I suppose - If I were printing cd's or dvd's for bussines use That did'nt require Hi resolution graphics I would probably go with a thermal printer! If I needed the disc to have hi quality /hi resolution pictures like Commercial Movie Dvd's do I would use an Inkjet . Personally I'm Cheap and Sharpie pens work well enough for me ! I can buy a Boatload of Sharpies for what I'd pay for a Thermal printer or a Inkjet That prints CD's & DVD'S !Besides you can find a sharpie pen at nearly any store ! Try Finding Thermal ribbons or Inkjet cartridges anywhere as often ! Hope I did'nt confuse you more than I already did Good luck & happy Printing Ciao!