Quad Core Vs Octa Core

Discussion in 'Android TV boxes (Kodi, XBMC, etc)' started by Melody1, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Melody1

Melody1 Member

Hi friends

If you have an Octa core box do you get better quality streams or is it just faster??

What is the main difference and is it worth it to change to an Octa core?

Thanks

2. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

I read up a little on that a couple of weeks ago , quadcore has 4 process in cpu and octacore has two sets of 4 process , quadcore when given a task the 4 processers work together to solve the given task when multitasking and work very quickly , .
    The octacore does the same has 4 high and 4 low the high come in to action when the 4 low can't cope with the multitasking , I think its more geared to smartphones were you are using the camera and doing 3 or 4 things together , as I say not an expert but that's what I can make out from bit I read up on , I'm sure theres guys in the forum who have better tech info lol ..........

Melody1 likes this.
  3. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

I think streams really come down to good Internet speed , and would suggest a box with 2gb ram , I have two boxes one with 1gb ram , the other has 2gb ram , and the box with 2gb does perform better ............

tongs007 and Melody1 like this.
  4. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Melody what type of box do you have , is it an mxq box ?

Melody1 likes this.
  5. piopat

piopat Active member

as paulie says quality of streams depends on the source and also how fast your broadband speed is .

the difference between dual / quad and octo is as paulie rightly says is down to processors , the more you have the faster the box works . meaning you can move through menus etc etc faster . so while quad and octo help the box perform faster i wont do anything to improve what you are watching , that comes down to the source of the content and your broadband .

my box is an mx2 dual core and it works fine , could be a tad smoother/quicker on the menus i guess , but only a tad otherwise its fine . but memory is important , the more your box has the better .

Melody1 likes this.
  6. Melody1

Melody1 Member

I have an M8S Box which is quite good/fast :

The upgraded version of the very popular M8 android TV Box the M8S is our new favorite box! With 2GB of Ram, a Amlogic S812 2Ghz quad core processor and a Mali 450 8 Core GPU (graphics unit) it is one of the most powerful and one of the fastest boxes on the market. One of the first android tv boxes available that allow for 4k video formats this device will play HD quality on Kodi and other video apps and outputs via HDMI (and AV for those of you with older TV sets) . The M8S android TV box comes with a quad core processor so you can access the best apps at lightning speeds.

What does this box do?

• Stream live TV
    • Stream movies
    • Browse the web with it’s built in browser
    • Access to Google Playstore
    • Stream from SD card
    • Cast from your Apple device using airplay
    • Allows you to watch netflix, use Skype and other apps available from Google play store
    • Allows you to watch TV channels from around the world including the UK and Ireland
    • Access to thousands of games and apps via Google play store.
    Full Spec:
    Chipset AML8726-S-812 quad-core cortex-A9 frequency :2.0GHz

GPU Mali-450 8-Core GPU
    FLASH 8GB NAND FLASH
    SDRAM 2GB DDR3
    Power Supply Specifications
    Power Supply DC 5V/2A
    Power Indicator (LED) Power ON :blue, Standby :Red
    Main Features
    OS Android 4.4 Kitkat
    XBMC 13.2
    WIFI Dual channel WIFI 2.4GHz/5.0GHz
    bluetooth Support
    3D Hardward 3D graphics acceleration
    Support Decoder format HD MPEG1/2/4,H.264, H.265.HD AVC/VC-1,RM/RMVB,Xvid/DivX3/4/5/6 ,RealVideo8/9/10
    Support Media format Avi/Rm/Rmvb/Ts/Vob/Mkv/Mov/ISO/wmv/asf/flv/dat/mpg/mpeg
    Support Music format MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV/OGG/AC3/DDP/TrueHD/DTS/DTS/HD/FLAC/APE
    Support Photo format HD JPEG/BMP/GIF/PNG/TIFF
    USB host 2 High speed USB 2.0,support U DISK and USB HDD
    Card reader SD/SDHC/MMC cards
    HDD file system FAT16/FAT32/NTFS
    Support Subtitle SRT/SMI/SUB/SSA/IDX+USB
    High Difinition video output SD/HD max.1920×1080 pixel
    OSD type of languages English/French/German/Spanish/Italian/ etc multilateral languages
    LAN Ethernet:10/100M, standard RJ-45
    Wireless Built in WiFi
    Mouse/ Keyboard Support mouse and keyboard via USB;Support 2.4GHz wireless mouse and keyboard via 2.4GHz USB dongle
    HDMI HDMI 1.4 up to 1080p
    4K2k hd decoding 4k2k H.264 H.265 Video Decode and 4k2k Output
    1080P Support
    AV Support
    Dolby Support

7. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Yep excellent box , with that box and decent internet speed can't go to far wrong , I suppose to sum it up , good Internet, 2gb ram , decent addons and away you go ,

putting some repos,addons on a box for a mate of mine atm it's miniX neo1 2gb /16 nand storage and very quick , a bit more pricier than mx boxes but an excellent box quad core, 4k ready it's up there with the best , personal opinion of course lol...........

8. piopat

piopat Active member

i think i need to warn you guys that the odds of being able to view 4k content on an android box are slim to none . it requires ultra fast broadband speeds that as far as i am aware no broadband supplier provides . the fastest speeds im aware is about 200mb from virgin , from what ive read you would need about 5 times that .

as an example i have 80 to 90mb speeds and i cant watch some regular hd content . so what i am saying is that while a box may be able to handle 4k content that doesnt mean you will get to view it , because sadly these boxes and their content rely upon broadband and broadband speeds .

Melody1 likes this.
  9. Melody1

Melody1 Member

I need an urgent answer from the experts here as i have the chance to replace my M8S with the RK8 - which one is better please?? Thanks:

M8S

The upgraded version of the very popular M8 android TV Box the M8S is our new favorite box! With 2GB of Ram, a Amlogic S812 2Ghz quad core processor and a Mali 450 8 Core GPU (graphics unit) it is one of the most powerful and one of the fastest boxes on the market. One of the first android tv boxes available that allow for 4k video formats this device will play HD quality on Kodi and other video apps and outputs via HDMI (and AV for those of you with older TV sets) . The M8S android TV box comes with a quad core processor so you can access the best apps at lightning speeds.

What does this box do?

• Stream live TV
    • Stream movies
    • Browse the web with it’s built in browser
    • Access to Google Playstore
    • Stream from SD card
    • Cast from your Apple device using airplay
    • Allows you to watch netflix, use Skype and other apps available from Google play store
    • Allows you to watch TV channels from around the world including the UK and Ireland
    • Access to thousands of games and apps via Google play store.
    Full Spec:
    Chipset AML8726-S-812 quad-core cortex-A9 frequency :2.0GHz

GPU Mali-450 8-Core GPU
    FLASH 8GB NAND FLASH
    SDRAM 2GB DDR3
    Power Supply Specifications
    Power Supply DC 5V/2A
    Power Indicator (LED) Power ON :blue, Standby :Red
    Main Features
    OS Android 4.4 Kitkat
    XBMC 13.2
    WIFI Dual channel WIFI 2.4GHz/5.0GHz
    bluetooth Support
    3D Hardward 3D graphics acceleration
    Support Decoder format HD MPEG1/2/4,H.264, H.265.HD AVC/VC-1,RM/RMVB,Xvid/DivX3/4/5/6 ,RealVideo8/9/10
    Support Media format Avi/Rm/Rmvb/Ts/Vob/Mkv/Mov/ISO/wmv/asf/flv/dat/mpg/mpeg
    Support Music format MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV/OGG/AC3/DDP/TrueHD/DTS/DTS/HD/FLAC/APE
    Support Photo format HD JPEG/BMP/GIF/PNG/TIFF
    USB host 2 High speed USB 2.0,support U DISK and USB HDD
    Card reader SD/SDHC/MMC cards
    HDD file system FAT16/FAT32/NTFS
    Support Subtitle SRT/SMI/SUB/SSA/IDX+USB
    High Difinition video output SD/HD max.1920×1080 pixel
    OSD type of languages English/French/German/Spanish/Italian/ etc multilateral languages
    LAN Ethernet:10/100M, standard RJ-45
    Wireless Built in WiFi
    Mouse/ Keyboard Support mouse and keyboard via USB;Support 2.4GHz wireless mouse and keyboard via 2.4GHz USB dongle
    HDMI HDMI 1.4 up to 1080p
    4K2k hd decoding 4k2k H.264 H.265 Video Decode and 4k2k Output
    1080P Support
    AV Support
    Dolby Support

RK8

Description:
    This TV box is equipped with RK3368 CPU and PowerVR G6110 GPU, which means you will have a smooth experience when using it watching HD movie or playing game etc. 2GB RAM, 8GB ROM and 32GB maximum extend capacity will give you enough space to do your thing without worry about it. It contains 3 heat-sink hole, which will make this machine become more smooth. All in all, this TV box is a good choice for you to enjoy the joy!

Main Features:
    ● With Android 5.1 system, we will have high speed feedback and smooth response.
    ● The processor in this chip is a RK3368 Octa-core with a maximum clock speed of up to 1.5GHz. Use the PowerVR G6110 as GPU. Apps have never run so smoothly.
    ● Support 4K x 2K ultra HD video, which brings us clearer image quality.
    ● Support 2.4GHz / 5.8GHz dual band WiFi.
    Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity: Easy pairing with most Bluetooth-enabled devices (computer, mobile phone, keyboard, and others).
    ● Support H.265 video code, enjoy the high-resolution video even at a low-internet-speed environment.
    ● HDMI 2.0 connector: You can go directly to let your TV and RK8 TV Box are connected through a HDMI cable and set up your home cinema for the best 4K x 2K Full HD multimedia experience.
    ● It integrated the latest XBMC media player software, with full functions of the multimedia entertainment.
    ● The box has a memory of 2GB DDR3, with 8GB nand flash, support mini SD card up to 32GB, easily enjoy many games and APKs.
    ● With 3 heat-sink hole, which will make this machine become more smooth.
    Infrared remote control let you enjoy your wonderful life which the wireless brings to you.
    Specifications
    General

Model: RK8
    Type: TV Box
    GPU: PowerVR G6110
    System: Android 5.1
    CPU: RK3368
    Core: Octa Core
    RAM: 2G
    ROM: 8G
    Max. Extended Capacity: 32G
    Color: Black
    Media Supported

Decoder Format: AVS,H.263,H.264,H.265,HD MPEG1/2/4,RealVideo8/9/10
    Video format: AVS,H.263,H.264,H.265,MPEG-1,MPEG2,MPEG4,MVC,VC-1,VP8
    Audio format: AAC,APE,FLAC,MP3,OGG,WAV,WMA
    Photo Format: BMP,GIF,JPEG,PNG
    Product Details

Support XBMC: Yes
    Support 5G WiFi: Yes
    Bluetooth: Bluetooth4.0
    Power Supply: Charge Adapter
    Interface: AV,HDMI,RJ45,SPDIF,USB2.0
    Firmware Information

System Bit: 64Bit
    WiFi Chip: AP6330
    KODI Pre-installed: Yes
    KODI Version: KODI 14.2
    Firmware Version: Android 5.1.1
    System Activation: Yes
    Power Requirement

Power Type: External Power Adapter Mode
    Dimension and Weight

Product weight: 0.135 kg
    Package weight: 0.605 kg
    Product size (L x W x H): 13.00 x 13.00 x 2.00 cm / 5.12 x 5.12 x 0.79 inches
    Package size (L x W x H): 24.00 x 15.00 x 6.00 cm / 9.45 x 5.91 x 2.36 inches
    Package Contents

Package Contents: 1 x RK8 TV Box, 1 x HDMI Cable, 1 x US Plug Power Cable, 1 x Remote Control

10. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Melody Both boxes have excellent spec , the m8s has quad core , the rk8
    has octa core , but would not bother me to much as octa core really only comes in to play with smartphones , what I look for is ram ,and rom both have 2gb ram and 8gb rom so really both are quite similar, not to sure about price difference, working on a box at the moment, it's a miniX neo8 and has all the same spec as above , but has 16gb storage so has plenty of room and it's very quick and great picture quality, but as you know any box is only as good as your Internet speed and good addons quality , check the link below for miniX neo , as I say not sure how they compare on price lol .....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-Du...8&qid=1467156330&sr=8-1&keywords=minix+neo+x8

Melody1 likes this.
  11. Melody1

Melody1 Member

I had the M8S but had a couple of problems - a) not updating date/time automatically and also the Playstore was defective and getting deleted on it's own!! So i opted for another M8S which the shop is giving me as a replacement .

Another question please:

Can i place add-ons / apks / apps on the SD card in the box, and will they function properly?

Probably addons can only be stored in Kodi but example i have a Mobdro apk which i had downloaded from the Google Playstore, can it be placed on the SD card not to take up internal storage on the Box?

Thanks

12. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Melody Not sure about apk files on the sd card, as in running them from there , you can store apk files on sd to store them , the sd card side of things I only use to backup the system and apps in the event i have to reinstall .......

Melody1 likes this.
  13. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

as the guys say, a stream is a stream, i recently upgraded my pc i now have an i7 processor in it, i had quadcore before, if i click on a youtube video it plays exactly the same as on the quadcore as my bb is still the same speed, only difference is its faster at loading up programmes, burning dvds, running programmes along side, so a bigger box with a bigger processor would just load kodi up faster and probably bring your addons up faster but would do absolutely nothing to a stream, your bb takes care of that, hope that makes sense lol :)

Melody1 likes this.
  14. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Hi tongs got it bang on mate , a lot of these box sellers are advertising new boxes as even faster than the older models , gives buyers the impression there getting a faster speed box as in Internet quality , if you step up from 1gb ram to 2gb it does give you a faster page Turner and remote responds quicker when navigating round kodi addons , but as you say does nothing to increase Internet performance , it all boils down to bb speed .........lol

Melody1 likes this.
  15. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

who is broadband supplier Mel and what size package you have lol, serious question

Melody1 likes this.
  16. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Tongs I think I remember from one of melodys earlier post has BT at 35 mbs ?.....

Melody1 likes this.
  17. Melody1

Melody1 Member

Yep 33MB's actually

18. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

ahh ive got virgin 150 meg and works spot on even 1080p, wireless a bit iffy but hardwired works like a charm, so if your streams are buffering it could well be your speeds

Melody1 likes this.
  19. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Ah my memory not as bad as I thought, what's you're name again lol , by the way melody did you take the plunge on a new box ?

Melody1 likes this.
  20. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Yep have virgin running the same speed , its very rear that I get buffering issues with films , also as I saying in earlier posts , doing a bit work for a mate of mine on a miniX neo box , and it's a little beauty, normally I stick with the mx111 myself , but I have to say this minx is great . ........lol

Melody1 likes this.