Quality Headphones (suggestions)

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Skitzy, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

Figured I would post this here since its unfitting everywhere else. My story basically in a nutshell is that I'm a music-aholic and well... the family is not. Just looking for a really good for the money, set of headphones. I don't want to spend a ton of money on nothing more than headphones, but I do want a pretty good set. I'm a true bass junky so screaming treble will just suck. I have 5.1 in the house, so anything that is some-what close to that quality would be great. Once again I do appreciate any feedback... even if its just to tell me what brand "not to get" Thank you

ps: For bass reasons only, I do prefer they are the "muffle the entire ear type" I think the insert type generally speaking.... just suck

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  2. Niobis

Niobis Active member

3. neroboy

neroboy Member

i would suggest Senheiser. they do ear canal earphones (cx 300) that filter out all the bad stuff and larger ones that do the same. supposed to be really good but be careful on ebay i got fakes they're. probably better buying directly from them just to be sure. anything cheaper prob will be fake :)

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@skitzy...what will you be plugging your phones into? You're right about the fuller and padded around the ears headphones; they will better accent bass. The thing is, headphones are going to well emphasize trebel as well...you'll need simply adjust the trebel when you use them. You don't want to buy headphones that are boomy in the bass and weak in the treble...what you'll be buying are badly designed headphones that will also be weak in the midrange and higher in distortion and hiss. You don't need to spend a fortune on headphones. 5.1 doesn't mean quality at all...there are some really crappy 5.1 systems. Whether or not the headphones will give a surround sort of sounds depends not so much on the headphones but rather the AVR itself and whether it has various modes for headphones ... any such modes will be synthisized though, obviously. Tell us what you're connecting the phones to.

5. face123

face123 Regular member

JVC earphones are good too. They go really loud and are good quality. Ipod ear phones are also great....

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  6. RLarsen

RLarsen Member

If you're smart you'll check out Grado headphones. Some of the best headphones made, good prices too !
    Rex

7. face123

face123 Regular member

Never heard of it before.

8. JVC

JVC Active member

I second both the Senheiser, and the Grado.
    Either one will serve your purposes very well.
    I, personally, stay as far away as possible, from anything Bose.......

9. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

10. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I'll have to listen to your friend's model of headphones ... there's nothing like really good headphones that are comfortable. There is also such a difference between good headphones designed not just for sound but comfort and those ear bud things. I've heard some that sound o.k. but I've never heard any that I thought were awesome ... let alone comfortable in unobtrusive.

11. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

I also recommend Sennheiser. I have their IEMs (in-ear monitors), and, trust me, they sound as good as circumaural (cover the whole ear) headphones bass-wise!!! You probably tried the earbud type before (crappy). I am a bass-head, too, and I was blown away by the Sennheiser IEMs!!!! You just have to try all three tip sizes to get the proper fit for your ear. The 'phones come with all three sizes. Basically, you fit them as you would earplugs... I use mine with my Sandisk Sansa e250, my computer, and with my HDTV...

12. gunboy3

gunboy3 Member

I tried the Sennheiser loop behind the neck model for around $60, then the Bose Tri-Port ($175) The Bose, though bigger and geekier looking (think Dick Clark New Years Eve), win hands down. Amazing sound and bass

13. t-loader

t-loader Member

hi i got an excellent set of head phones, on a recent trip to greece, monarch airlines £2-50,

14. NINVIN21

NINVIN21 Regular member

Good info there gerry1
    I had a pair of camoflage Audio Technica ATH-PRO5MS Professional Headphones. They worked great for $50 I would Not recommend them for DJing or anything Professional but they were nice for the price.

I'm also in the market for a new pair.
    I been reading alot of good things about Sennheiser and Grado.
    Like everyone else said Bose are very nice but I'm not spending over $100.

I suggest you google some reviews before you buy.

15. IGH

IGH Member

Grado SR series from about £60. If you're using them for hifi use, you really won't get any better unless you spend 3 times that. In the STEREOPHILE industry awards the sr60s won product of the year in 2 categories, the only product that ever has. If bass is your concern, go for the sr80s. Larger diaphram so more bass response and only at a tiny extra cost.

My one quibble with Grado's is that they don't like being thrown to the bottom of a bag filled with other stuff. They look great and the build quality is generally good, but they do need looking after (don't throw them about). If you want a rock hard pair of headphones that sound great and won't break the sennheiser HD280s are great, but they'll cost you.

16. DEVINRL

DEVINRL Regular member

sony noise canceling.

17. Tashammer

Tashammer Member

i think that headphones are a great idea, but will the family keep wearing them?

Sennheiser do the job though.

18. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

For the money, try AKG K701 reference headphones. Kind of pricy (about $400USD) but they are rated class A in stereophile magazine. In the US google TODD the vinyl junkie for the best price. He is an authorized dealer, so no grey market stuff. I've had a set for abot a year now and I have to say they are about the best there is at a not astronomical price. If you want audiophile quality, then you need a headphone amp as well, eg a Cayin HA-1 or one made by Musical Fidelity(both liked by Sam Tellig of stereophile mag) Good listening

19. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Any of the middle-range Senheisers that around 200-600 dollars are excellent value for money and have top notch sound quality.

20. sic001

sic001 Member

Hey guys, I thinking of buying headphone with noise canceler. I'm thinking of skull candy but they say that bose are top notch but expensive and if I don't have that much cash, panasonic will be great.

But I'm concerned about the noise canceler. Are all those brand's noise canceler are the same or one brand is superior in terms of that feature?

I think I can only go for $100-$150. So what do you guys think.