Quality of burned DVD's

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by BumpmeK, Jun 6, 2005.

1. BumpmeK

BumpmeK Guest

Hi, just wondering what other peoples qualities of burnt DVD's are like.

I use Limewire, and have burned 2 different movies, and they are good, but a little pixely. Is this normal, and is there a way to maximise quality?

Thanks in advance!

Tammy xx

2. matt72

matt72 Regular member

a little more information is needed. first what media are you using? at what speed are you burning? what sotware are you using to burn?depending on your pc specs you might need to disconnect from the internet and disable any antivirus or firewalls to ensure they are not interfering with your burn process. then I'm sure we can assist you in getting great burns.

3. BumpmeK

BumpmeK Guest

Media is Verbatim

4x speed to burn

Decrypter to burn

and i have Norton anti virus disabled whilst doing any d/l's or burns on my PC!

Does that help?

4. drusse11

drusse11 Member

having nortons should not matter i have enabled on mine and i my dvds are pretty good quality try using a BitTorrent program (not sure if i should have said that or not but o well)

5. matt72

matt72 Regular member

@BumpmeK

Ok we can eliminate crap media, burn speed and software running in the background. When you d/l the file what do you use to convert to dvd compliant files? Also did you run the movies thru vlc player? It is free and you can see if the movie is pixely from the source not your burn results. As a matter of fact let me go d/l a movie rom limewire and check the quality. Most folks prefer nero as a burning tool but I like copy2dvd for backups. Will be back after I do a test on the movie I get.

Just d/l a portion of a file and found the full file to be significantly smaller than the original which I own. Could be the source(s) used a program like dvd shrink to compress which could be the issue with pixelation.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  6. BumpmeK

BumpmeK Guest

I can't seem to d/l VLC.

When i click on the location to d/l from, it comes up with a Navigation error page.... :s

Also while i got you here....

When using limewire, whilst d/l a movie, when i go to preview it, and it opens in media player, i get a codec error, or corrupt file error. I get this with most files. Is it okay to continue the d/l and at the end it will still burn successfully, or should i just kill it and try another one?

7. matt72

matt72 Regular member

try this link http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/vlc.cfm. If server 1 doesn't work use server2.

Do a search for g-spot codecs and d/l. It will tell you what codecs you need. Wmp should not be your choice of dvd player I should suggest using vlc player as it will play most files in vide format.

Your file should d/l sucessfully. Let it finish and run it thru vlc player. Try burning a store bought dvd and see if you still get the pixel issue. I suspect it may be the file since I got the same thing with harry potter from limewire.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/xp_codec_pack.cfm. Codecs link if you can't find gspot.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@BumpmeK - so far this would appear to be corruption in the original file that was downloaded, or corruption while converting said file. What program are you using to cnvert the downloaded file to DVD-compliant format ?. Recently i used VSO DivxToDVD to convert AVI and MPEG files to DVD format and i was experiencing corruption, while there wasn't corruption in the original files.

Matt72 has covered all the bases, we just need a little more to go on..