Question about useing TV as a monitor.

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Pontius, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Pontius

Pontius Regular member

I connect my laptop to my tv and the picture from the laptop comes up on my TV.But when i try to play a DVD or MPEG the screen on the TV gos black?

2. j_holmes

j_holmes Regular member

When you right click desktop/properties/settings/advanced/displays tab/
    tv options part, you should see to buttons in there, one with circles in it, and one with two monitors in it, chose the one with the two monitors first, I;m pretty sure thats the one you need, if not, then chose the other...

Let me know how you make out..

3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

That black screen will always happen. It is a type of copy protection. Really stupid though as you are still viewing something you own not copying it. But it thinks your throwing it through a VCR to copy. to get around this for viewing. Right click on the screen and go to properties. In the monitor settings select to extend you monitor to both screens. Now you effectively have one huge desktop. Open you viewing software on the Notebook screen as a small window. then click on it and throw it to the TV extended desktop. Now maximize the screen and you should be able to view anything.

4. Pontius

Pontius Regular member

Thanks a lot.The picture is comeing out of the TV.But how do i get sound from the laptop to come out of the TV?The only sound comeing out of the TV is a horrible humming sound.

5. j_holmes

j_holmes Regular member

To get the volume to /or through your tv you need to get r-a jack, you can use your standard audio video cables, but you need the one piece thats able to hook up through your speaker/headset connections, this piece has one end to plug in to pc, and the other end with two, a red and white to hook up threw audio video cables.
    Most dollar stores sell them. If you need it right away.
    Of course you no to keep them color coordinated, right?

6. Pontius

Pontius Regular member

I have something like that.I have a cable with red ehit and yellow connectors at each end.And i also have one with black and yellow at each end.I think they are called composite video cables.Will these work?

7. j_holmes

j_holmes Regular member

Yes, but you still need the piece to hook up to that,(the piece that hooks up threw speeker jack on tower), then with the other 2 pieces at the other end(red & white) hook up to the red and white cables that are with the yellow 1 that is hooked up to your video card..
    Note: all 3 must be hooked up to your tv as well.....

8. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Ya for sound you need to find your headphone jack off your notebook and connect a 3.5mm addaptor to two (red and white) composite cables. these adaptors you can buy at the dollar store or at a Radio shack. The composite cables can be what ever colour but will connect to a stereo. Very few TV`s have audio inputs. But you might be lucky.

9. Pontius

Pontius Regular member

Ok thanks.

10. asker

asker Member

i had the same prob days ago, good point holmes