questions about ISO and UDFX

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by jeffreywu, Sep 28, 2005.

1. jeffreywu

jeffreywu Member

i heard u guys say that when download a game then after extract the rar file will come out an iso file, but i can not burn that iso dicretly? then what should i do for that iso file? when i open with winrar it say corrupt or unknown, someone can help me?

2. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Right click on the WinRar file and select extract here or extract to a location you'd prefer. Just left clicking on the WinRar file sometimes will give you that error.

3. jeffreywu

jeffreywu Member

but i thought we have to change iso files to another form?

4. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Download the program Qwix. Use that to transfer the .xiso file to your xbox. As it transfers the files, it extracts it into the game folder. Which is what you're referring to as the other format.

5. Ichijoe

Ichijoe Regular member

If you had downloaded your App chnces are 99.9% that it's already in the XISO / "*.iso" Format the 'X' in XISO is to infer that it's a XBOX™ ISO as opposed to a standerd 9660ISO. Once you unpack / burn your .iso. beit though Nero 6.6.0.16 or some other App. The contents will be written in the UDFX File Format. That's about as deep a Copy Protection as you'll ever see on the XBOX™.

If you decide to use Quixx! or some other App again. To unpack your .iso to the XBOX™ HDD. it'll be written out in the FATX File Format.

The biggest difference (and the cause of possible headaces), is the slight differece between UDFX and FATX. UDFX has support for Long Filenames (i.e. 255+3 Characters),. Whereas FATX only has support for only 42+3 Characters. So if you have a Game like Harry Poter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. You could (i.e. Read WILL!!), have problems when playing on the Last Night when you have to fight all those Ghoul Thingies.

It's my understanding that 'DVD2XBOX' A XBOX™ Game Disc Ripper can eventually rename and moreover relink these Files for use on the XBOX™ HDD (i.e. in FATX),. Haveing just burned it and finnishing the Game I never botherd to tried re-riping it.

6. jeffreywu

jeffreywu Member

ok but my problem is that when i extract my rar files and got my iso
    i just burn that iso and put in my xbox, and hit play,, then thenothing happen it just jum back to my dashboard...
    how can i solve this?

7. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@jeffreywu
    What tpye of discs are you using??

8. Ichijoe

Ichijoe Regular member

@jeffreywu

I got a better question for you.

Is your XBOX™ even Moded? You can not run Unsigned Code (i.e. Backups), on a Retail XBOX™. As far as I know, and I'll admit it ain't much, as it was a long, long time ago. But, IIRC you can not run Unsigend Code (i.e. Backups) off the DVD-ROM Drive if you're useing a Softmod. At least that was my understanding. Butm that was like in 2003. So that might have changed by now.

But, one thing is Crystal clear, you're going to need a Modded XBOX™, (Your best bet is to get a Solderless Chip!), to run any Backups.

As for which Media to burn on. That again will mostly depend on which DVD-ROM Drive you have in your XBOX™ I have a Philips in my XBOX™ and it can read most Media I throw at it, save CD-R's. If there is such a thing as a "Safe Media" I'd tell you to burn only DVD'-'R's\RW's that a '-' as opposed to a '+'.

If for some reasion you can only burn '+' Media. Try to find out if you can change the Booktype either though a special Software from the OEM of your Drive. Or if you allready have this setting in Nero (or other App.), if so change this Booktype to DVD-ROM. That should then hopefully allow you to get the XBOX™ to read thoes Disc's...

9. jeffreywu

jeffreywu Member

thank u guys
    my games are working now
    i burned it with 2X speed
    then i will read on my xbox
    thank u guys' help