1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

...:::::*rav009's Bit Torrent Safety & Privacy Guide*:::::...(NEW!!)

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by rav009, Sep 17, 2006.

1. tbiggs

tbiggs Guest

i have been running with pg and bitcomet configed just the way you explained it and ive been sent two letters in the last mounth from my isp charter cable regarding dling copy protected movies .

companies that are hired by the riaa and the mpaa jump on the popular dls and then snap pics of everybody dling/seeding the file then they are calling your isp and telling on you .

i called the mpa hotline that was in the letter my isp sent me and they told me to delete all traces of the two movies and to not dload anymore protected movies as i was breaking many laws and could face criminal penaltys .

both films were newer films not released yet on dvd , i was dling them with bitcomet and had peer gardian running , everything was up to date , they are dling torrents right along with everybody else to be able to peek at all the peer ip's and theres no way to encrypt your ip , i tried proxing software and no joy as it doesnt work with p2p , only internet browsing .

i no longer dl anything via bittorrent as they are everywhere , so to all be very carefull because there really isnt any protection for you with useing p2p , especially bitorrent as it exposes your ip to the world and you are forced to upload as your dling , so do yourself a favor and learn from me .

i was once a firm believer in the torrent scene , i uploaded files and helped seed a many a files to keep the torrents healthy and to do my part helping fight the battle against these companies from destroying lives with there awfull lawsuits , but after the two threatening letters and talking with the mpaa i have retired completely from the p2p scene in fear of prosecution .

this is just the begining of a nasty brutal atack there going to wage against torrent/movie/music dlers , so be carefull what you do out there !!

2. rav009

rav009 Active member

@TBiggs,

Thanks, your right, unfornatly stuff like that does happen and yes, it is a bitch..

By following this guide you can avoid things like what happend to you from taking place, I guess you where pretty unlucky.

I'd imagine jumping on the new public releases tends to result in things like that, you also could've downloaded a .torrent that was tracked via a public tracker or was externally through a public tracker, you are one of the tiny minority fo file sharers who was tagged.
    My advice would be to keep your head down for a while.

**Remember kids, always enable encryption and have Peergaurdian up!**

3. bilboatCB

bilboatCB Member

Is it possible to run Peerguardian and Protowall without messing with your computer?

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Well there is no need to run both.

5. rav009

rav009 Active member

Hi,

What ripper said, even if you did run both they'd conflict, meaning its useless.

6. SHUVT

SHUVT Guest

Very nice post for the step by step. Wish I would have stumbled upon this a few weeks ago, before I had to sort through hundreds of posts on other forums and figure it out myself. Another great tool to obtain block lists from is Blocklist Manager from Bluetack. It is a little technical to import the lists, but they have a great screen shot walk through to help you out. You can import this list directly into your IP Blocker and it will add them to the blocked IPs.

When i was just running the PG2 block lists I was getting generic SAFENET AND DONET ips and now I believe it is giving me the true IP name for these IP ranges. Look it up. Hope this helps as well.

7. rav009

rav009 Active member

Thank you very much for the nice words, I appreciate it & I'll look into it :)

Cheers

8. JOHNSTARR

JOHNSTARR Regular member

Very informative thread. I stumbled upon pg2 about 1 month ago and feel much safer.

9. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

Great guide Rav009 as always keep up the good work....

10. rav009

rav009 Active member

Thank's guys, I really appreciate it.

I'm glad it helped someone.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  11. WBCM2005

WBCM2005 Member

edited by ddp

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  12. rav009

rav009 Active member

Ask elsewere, we here at AfterDawn prohibit the trading of invites, don't spam my thread please.

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

WBCM2005, no invites asking/trading allowed on this site. post edited

14. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

Hey Rav.

You know I was just browsing AfterDawn, and more often than not I come back to one of your guides for advice, to use it to help other people and to help myself as well as just read to increase some personal knowledge, as I like to call it.

And then I was thinking that I never did thank you for making this guide and other's, and since there is nothing more I can actualy do I am going to say "Thank You Rav for providing me and other members with a great guide, wish you all the best, and hope you keep up the good work."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  15. rav009

rav009 Active member

Cheers BluRay, I really appreciate it buddy =D

16. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

No Preblemo.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  17. rav009

rav009 Active member

18. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

blueray,
    please remove the second set of thank you notices, i know its a nice gesture, but its gonna distract people from Rav's guide.

19. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

Done, :)

20. godmode

godmode Member

great guide..all should use this when using p2p programs