1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

...:::::*rav009's Bit Torrent Safety & Privacy Guide*:::::...(NEW!!)

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by rav009, Sep 17, 2006.

1. rav009

rav009 Active member

2. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

Thanks for the great guide! I'm new to this so thankfully I've read this b4 doing anything... and I thought about using the "official" BT software or BT++

Questions:

1) what if you have a dynamic IP? It changes all the time, how could they trace you? If possible...
    2) What if you're behind a router/firewall, doesn't the router block them? Isn't one of the router functions to block your real IP to the world?

3. BigMike2

BigMike2 Member

1) Your actual IP address is logged by the tracker sites and it is shown to all the peers. uTorrent has a tab that will show you exactly who you are sharing with. Your IP tracks who was assigned what IP at what date and time.

2) A fire will dynamically assign an IP to your system(s). The system talks to the firewall/router thru this IP. The outbound/ modem side of the firewall has the real IP assigned by your ISP. This is broadcast to the tracker. P2P works by sharing IPs, the tracker has to know your IP to send and receive blocks from/to you.

By enabling encryption you are trying to hide what data you are sending/receiving, mostly from your IP. They are getting hit by huge bandwidth of BT data streams. They have to either expand their BW capabilities or restrict useage. They are trying to restrict useage.

Mike2

4. ashwin18

ashwin18 Regular member

Great guide, Rav009. A few questions, though.
    #1: In PG2, what do the options 'Block HTTP' and 'Allow HTTP' mean?
    #2: Does PG2 bring down the download speeds?
    #3: Is enabling DHT and Peer Exchange safe?
    #4: What's the difference between one's WAN IP Address (123.45.67.8) and Machine ID (broadband-ny-123.45.67.8.aol.com)? If the IP address is dynamic, does the Mac. ID change with it too, or does that remain static?

EDIT: Just one more: Is Mcafee Site Advisor available for Opera too?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  5. rav009

rav009 Active member

Hey,

Sorry for the late responce, I didn't know you posted :p

Right, well block HTTP in PG2 will block black-listed HTTP IP's & since PG2 using your internet connection, it does "slow downloads" as it uses bandwidth but its so low its a negligible amount.

Peer exchange is similar to DHT, it gathers more peers, its safe but not recommended for private trackers and the other qeustion you asked has nothing to do with my guide Ashwin, please ask that elsewhere...

Clear now? :)

-Rav

6. ashwin18

ashwin18 Regular member

Well, I thought (or hoped) that you might know that.

And you still haven't answered my question about the site advisor, rav009.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  7. rav009

rav009 Active member

Yes, but it would be inappropriate in this thread, lets keep this one topic per thread, Ashwin :)

BTW, SiteAdvisor currently only works with Internet Explorer and Firefox.

8. ashwin18

ashwin18 Regular member

No Problem, Rav009!
    Thanks ;)

9. rav009

rav009 Active member

Your welcome :)

10. craftyzan

craftyzan Member

I use amule far more than I torrent cuz I chase rare rare rare crap. Downloading pre-release is a bad idea cuz they watch those buggers closely. Besides the MPAA, you get a lot of cam stuff which doesn't look real hot. There's nothing worse than two or three heads popping up in front of your movie...on your computer screen!

11. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Well that's your choice. If your getting bad pre releases it cos your downloading dodgy torrents etc. Yay for PUKKA!! (If you don't know, don't ask!)

Anyway, that's not rly relevant to this thread, now, is it?

12. rav009

rav009 Active member

What Ripper said^

Its not really relevant to this topic, that's precisely why I didn't reply..now its even worse :p

*Back on topic*

Glad the guide helped ya fellas.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  13. nasman

nasman Member

Hi Guys,
    Rav009 that was a really good guide...but one bit of advice needed...how do you do this with Bit Tornado? What do you think of Bit Tornado?

Thanks,

Nasman

14. rav009

rav009 Active member

Hi nasman,

Glad it helped you, I'm personally not familiar with Bit Tornado, used it just once way back in the day (at the time it didn't have MSE or PE) your best bet is "Googling" it.

15. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

I'm not familiar with the client from personal use but I know it is banned on alot of private trackers for things like not respecting the private flag on the torrents to keep it being shared to people outside the tracker. It also pounds the tracker with stats updates causing alot of stress on the server and a few other things.

16. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

post deleted

17. nm07901

nm07901 Member

RAV,

I'd like to thank you for this excellent, and understandable, thread.

I recently subscribed to the Findnot service, and found my downloading speeds reduced by 80-90%. In fact some torrents were disappearing before I was able to complete my downloads.

I just followed your suggested tweak of Azureus, now I'm off to get PG2...hopefully that'll be as easy to configure as Azureus was.

One quick, (and stupid), question:

My understanding of PG2 is that it bans IP addresses that might cause problems with MPAA, etc. How do I keep this list updated?
    Where do I get the most current lists?

Again many thanks for your advisory. As you can tell I'm new to this stuff...it's good to read something that I can actually understand, and implement.

18. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

They update them selves and they are included in PG2 automatically.

19. nasman

nasman Member

Hi Rav009,

I have been trying to access the bluetack site for Protowall but can't connect at all...any ideas....as I really would like to get protected.

Thanks,

Nasman

20. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

@rav009: thanks for the guide, any chance us end users can protect against the onslaught of spyware or adware is appreciated!
    I've been using PG/Protowall for about 3 yrs but recently switched to only blocking using the HOSTS file. While it's not as up to date as PG/Protowall, it doesn't slow down the computer one bit & is only a little slow in going to websites. Lots of established spyware sites are now blocked; most sites other than important cookie sites (Amazon being one of them) are also blocked.

HOSTS is one of the most powerful ways to protect yourself, from MPAA/RIAA just as much as spyware/adware/phishing. The more ppl that learn about HOSTS, the better. It's impossible to spoof the HOSTS file if someone knows how to use it properly. Keeping it updated (because new sites appear every second) is the only problem compared to PG/Protowall.

I have a question about blocking Adult sites. Has anyone found a good list of IP/DNS they can insert into their HOSTS file? I was looking for a list by Stephen Martin but his site is offline.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2006