1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

...:::::*rav009's Bit Torrent Safety & Privacy Guide*:::::...(NEW!!)

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by rav009, Sep 17, 2006.

1. neptune

neptune Regular member

piratebay is a public tracker try getting into some private trackers... you have less of a chance of getting busted on private trackers

2. Y2kBug

Y2kBug Member

well i have stopped downloading totally since the first letter,installed PG2 and done very little on limewire and today got another letter prolly from the same d/l session as the first letter different file and date and differnt tracker so i guess i am not ever going to be allowed to torrent again.thanks for your help and for sure use me to tell others that public trackers are bad. very bad...p.s. any1 know of a downloaders anonomus support group chapter
    <DaBugHasBeenSquashed>

3. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

Hey, maybe you just started on the wrong foot. What kind of torrents did you dl from public trackers?

4. Y2kBug

Y2kBug Member

Mainly tvshows(older ones) and music and a few movies.It seems the movies are the ones they are spanking me for.

5. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

Isn't "the movies" is some sort of software in PC? Anyway, if you are downloading the typical tv shows and music, then you chance being caught is pretty normal. Its not too risky coz I always do that. Hmm, I really don't know how you got caught but I guess luck is also part of it. Just download stuff in a private tracker

6. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

i'd start using private trackers in that case. Or better yet, stop dL movies & music from public trackers. If only we all dL older shows, maybe they'd go back to making DECENT stuff. Everything these days is glorified sodomy & other crap. Disgusts me.

I noticed in a few BT progs it lets you set protocol encryption to forced. Everyone should be using PE. If your dL speeds drop by switching to that, consider the chances of being caught are not worth a few extra MB of data. Just set it to forced encryption, and spread the word.
    ISPs trying to force out BT users
    this quote is so true. Read and LEARN:
    someone needs to write a BT client that randomly changes ports between 80 & 443 (and a few others), and lets you randomly throttle the traffic every few minutes. That will force ISPs to PROVE that your traffic on their network is actually not normal web browsing. Ports 80 & 443 are both unsecure/secure web browser ports. The future looks bright for the BT programmer that does this.

7. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

well i'm a bit more resistant to the B.S. of the movie industry, and i'd do this if you:
    -take a laptop computer to a WiFi spot & dL there
    -have friends dL the movies you want, and pay them like $1-$2 per movie
    -share all your movies with your (very trusted & non-NARC friends)
    -set up a program like DC++ that allows you to chat/xchange files with trusted friends DC++ FAQ
    -or better yet, stop dL movies at all. Buy the few (oh soooo verrry feeeeww this year, LOL like they've been goind downhill for years) that are worth buying. The rest, well let them mark them down to $5 @Wally World bargain bin.
    -Give a big middle finger to the MPAA/RIAA secret Internutt police

8. tencows

tencows Member

The only flaw with this is the assumption that it's your ISP that is reporting you to those authorities that send off those scary letters. I assure you, as a network admin of an ISP, that the ISP _does_ _not_ _care_ about your activites. The authorities track your IP, and the ISP is only involved insofar as telling the authorities which name and address matches which IP.

9. tencows

tencows Member

Decrease your risk by practically zero. I'm just arguing PG/etc give nothing but a false sense of security. You can lower your risk infinitely more by other methods, like sharing downloads with friends (ie so that everyone downloads less, but shares with each other), downloading less popular material, or, depending on your country/ISP/their logs/your equipment, switching your IP frequently, if possible (you can force it by letting the lease timeout or switching your MAC address, which is possible with many network cards on linux, for example).

This still assumes we can positively identify the undesired host. We cannot, at all.

Point 1: There is nothing _illegal_ about _not_ entering valid whois data.
    Point 2: There is no legal requirement of any organization (even public ones, non-profits, etc) to somewhere reveal their IPs, just as they dont have to reveal the color of their bathroom doors.
    Point 3: It is very, very common to have a companies IPs listed generically under the IPs of the ISP. For example, www.fastmail.fm = 66.111.4.56, and who is this registered to? OrgName: The New York Internet Company. So how do you block fastmail.fm in this case? You can even go ahead and block _all_ of the IPs that the entire NY Internet Company owns, but you still don't know whether fastmail may have another internet connection from, say, the Connecticut Leather Company Internet Division. No central database, public or private, exists anywhere in the world, that lists all the IPs any given company/entity owns/uses.
    Point 4: The MPAA/etc do _not_ do their own dirty work (IP gathering). They outsource it to other companies specialized in this stuff. These companies can do whatever they want, and frequenty do use very dirty tactics.

10. Moklomi

Moklomi Member

I came across this guide and thank you (No, I'am not Necroing it for trolling purposes) But I was wondering what about I2P and Tor and networkds like those to furhter protect my privacy? ( Yes I know Tor is not to be used for HIGH traffic downloads and I'am not using it for my p2p protection!)

11. tripplite

tripplite Guest

12. varnull

varnull Guest

Bog standard tripp .. they are just using the same weekly updated lists as all the others.

As stated many many times before... these blocklist things will not protect you because the methods to scan the swarms for ip's doesn't involve connecting to you any more, but in harvesting a list of ip's in the swarm from the tracker.

13. danie716

danie716 Member

HELLO... I AM NEW TO THE WHOLE TORRENT GAME, AND I JUST WANTED TO KNOW HOW DO I CLEAR MYSELF... IM CURRENTLY USING BITLORD...

THANK YOU

14. vballstud

vballstud Guest

I sense a n00b getting a lashing...

15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

danie716, knockoff the caps lock as is a forum rule no no & is referred to as shouting.

16. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

nice turorial. i've been using p2p programs for a couple of years or so but always on windows xp. now that i have vista 64 bit, i can't seem to find a good ip "blocking" program compatible with vista. the few that i have found end up having bad reviews so i don't want to chance them. and i don't want to use pg2 (even though i used it on xp and worked fine) because of the changes you have to make to get it to work since it isn't "signed." anyone have any suggestions? thank you much.

17. uzuzu

uzuzu Member

hey rav dude i downloaded the azureus 4rm ur link but then how do u get to the tools and stuff its just a compressed folder with files inside. wat do i do????