rav009's intro to HJT

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by rav009, Apr 25, 2006.

1. rav009

rav009 Active member

[​IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right, in this little tut I’m going to introduce you to one of the most powerful tools in the battle against malware/viruses, its HijackThis! or HJT as I’ll be referring to it as..

HijackThis examines the registry and contents of the hard disk and puts them into one, nice and easy log (HJT log).
    Half the entries in the log are legit, you need to know what you’re looking at before you attempt a fix, as removing these legitimate entries could lead to problems.
    That’s why you post your logs here and get them analysed by people who know what there looking at.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting Started

So, first of all, download and install HJT from here:

http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip

I'll assume your using Firefox and the downloads should by default go to the desktop( if not then shame on you)you should now see a ZIP file on your desktop, look’s something like this:

[​IMG]

Right click it and choose (if you’re a winRAR’er like me) “Extract to hijackthis/” or if you haven’t got winRAR its right click “Extract all files to folder” I think…

[​IMG]

Once you’ve done that you should have a new folder on your desktop named “hijackthis”, double click the new folder and delete the old ZIP file.

[​IMG]

^^That’s what you should see^^, now if you’ve followed me right so far, you’ve got HJT in its own folder without having to mess around with it too much, if you have what you see in the picture then good, just close the window and leave the folder there for now.
    ** Important!!**

Always have HJT in its own folder; a fix should not be attempted unless the poster has put HJT in its own folder.

Anyway, now all we do is copy and paste the folder we’ve just got into C:/Program Files/HijackThis, but before we do so, make sure to create a desktop shortcut.
    Open your “hijackthis” folder that’s on your desktop; remember the one you extracted from the ZIP file about 5 minuets ago?? Yep, that one...right click the HJT icon and “Create Desktop Shortcut”

[​IMG]

Now you should see a NEW HJT icon right next to your original one, something like this:

[​IMG]

Now all we do is drag & drop the one named that’s called “Shortcut To HijackThis” and has little arrow in the bottom corner onto our desktop wherever you want it.

That’s the desktop shortcut bit done, now for the..
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So now all we do is right click our “hijackthis” folder and select “Cut”

[​IMG]

Now, double click “My Computer” > C: (your hard disk drive) > the “program files” folder, now just hit Ctrl and v OR Right click > Paste

You have now downloaded and installed HJT, created a desktop shortcut and placed HJT in C:/Program files/hijackthis

Using HijackThis

Now you’re ready to go!!, double click the desktop shortcut you made earlier to launch HJT, lets “Do a system scan and save logfile”

[​IMG]

HijackThis should take about 30 seconds to finish scanning, you should then see a notepad doc pop up, like so..

[​IMG]

This is your logfile, from this we can see whats going on in there, just save the doc to somewher you’ll remember and copy and paste the entire log in the appropriate forum.

Then…just WAIT for help, don’t even think of attempting to fix your own log if you don’t know what your doing..

And that’s it, hope this helped :D

2. tocool4u2

tocool4u2 Guest

Great Tutorial.......

You should post this in the Virus and Spyware Section so it will probubly get stickied there and people that have a problem they can go by that.......
    Just a suggestion

3. rav009

rav009 Active member

Thats a good sugestion, if a mod is reading this then they can do that :D