"Reassign" an IP address

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by meiko1, Mar 25, 2009.

1. meiko1

meiko1 Member

Question - My internet used to work fine, then my brother installed a wireless router and accidently knocked it offline. The internet wasn't working so I tried to reinstall the extender I'm using and it seems that my computer has "lost" it's IP address. This is the second time that I've tried to reinstall the extender and it recognizes the old IP address, but my computer shows the IP address as straight zeros across the board. Any help on how to "reassign" an IP address on my computer would be greatly appreciated.

2. dailun

dailun Active member

Is the router set for DHCP or static IP addresses?

With DHCP you must set your computer to "get" the IP address from the router.

With static IP addressing you set your computer to a unique IP address in the subnet of the router (usually 192.168.1.xxx and don't use 0, 1, or 255 for the xxx).

3. meiko1

meiko1 Member

Thanks Dailun, I'm at work right now, will try it first thing when I get home.

4. meiko1

meiko1 Member

Thanks for the tips, I tried both ways last night, no success, do you or anyone else have any other suggestions?

5. dailun

dailun Active member

Well, if you change the router to DHCP, you need to tell your PC to use DHCP. Likewise, if you tell the router to use a static address, you need to make SURE that you set the static address correctly on your PC.

Sorry to second guess you, but "I tried both ways last night, no success . . " doesn't really tell anyone what you did.

What do you mean by "extender"? Is this your laptop or desktop wireless card?

Since there are a lot of variables here I don't want to write "War and Peace" explaining things that might not be applicable.

I'd set the router up for DHCP first and then go about setting up your wireless card as such.

BTW, did your brother implement security? Did you match the security settings on your PC?

When walking through a new wireless installation, I turn security off, make sure that ewveryone can see everyone, then turn on security at the router and then turn it on at each PC one at a time.