recording from the TV using the camcorder,

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by gymjsck, Mar 2, 2006.

1. gymjsck

gymjsck Member

ok guys, a friend needs help, i have told him that you guys are usually the people for the job,

he wants to record from the xbox to his camcorder and then send the video to the pc to edit, in effect he is trying to use the camcorder as a capture card... if this is possible how would he do it?? would he use the s-video lead and run that from the xbox to the camera and then run the camera to a PC through a USB?? im stuck and i cant help him, any feedback is appreciated

2. Dante016

Dante016 Member

Well I just captured something from my vhs to my pc and ill tell u how. Ok first up u know how the xbox is connected either straight to a tv or connected to a dvd or vhs player then connected to the tv. Well either one now listen up. There is an av cable that should connect to your camcorder. av is the red,white,and yellow cord. Ok one end of it goes in the camcorder the other which is the red,yellow,and white have to go in a av port on the tv or dvd or vhs player depending on how u have your xbox hooked up.Once the cable are connected depending on your camcorder and who makes it and what model u will probably have to go into the play/edit mode and go to the menu and set the lcd screen to lcd. Dont set it to video out lcd just lcd. Now heres where its gets tricky. You remember the red,white, and yellow av cables u pluged in the ports well they have to be in ports that send audio and video out and not in. If they are hooked in ports that send in then u will have no success but if out then u can be successful. Check the av ports on the tv and vhs and dvd and their manuals for more info on in and out on the av ports. Heres the last and most important thing. The camcorder u have must support in and out video. Cheaper camcorders only support in but add a little more money and u get both. After u capture it just hook it to the pc by usb or firewire(aka i link or IEEE 1349). Firewire will give u better quality picture than usb but if u dont have firewire then u must use usb. I transferred a movie using usb once and it mainly depends what software u use to import it from the camcorder onto the pc. MovieMaker will skip some and the quality will be reduced unless u change the settings in it but be warned changing them to high will take time to save to the pc. I have use Sony Picture Package 1.5 and gotton perfect quality over usb transfer with only 2 or 3 frames glitching only once in the movie and the reason for that was i had a lot of other programs running. So usb can be good but u need a more up to date usb port. THe usb ports on pc these days are 2.0 and are good if u use the right capture software but a few years back we had usb ports 1.1 and they dropped frames like a little kid drops toys. But if u do transfer using usb use a good transfer software and the same goes for ilink if u use it use a good transfer software. I will check back on this to see if u have any questions. U can reply, private message me or use aol instant messanger (I go by LegandofZelda16) or msn messanger(finalfantasy016@yahoo.com) and last but not least u can email me at finalfantasy016@yahoo.com. Well good luck.

3. jpalmv1

jpalmv1 Member

what kind/model is his camcorder?

the best way (when we get that far) is to put it on tape, THEN put it to PC