Red Hat Linux 9 help

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Halfbreed, May 18, 2004.

1. Halfbreed

Halfbreed Member

I got Red Hat to mess around with and learn something new. However my motherboard burned out after using RH for only about 45 minutes. Here I am 5 weeks later finally with my new motherboard (first mobo was cracked in half by UPS). Anywho I need to login to RH but my username and password don't work and I remember back when I first installed it I had that problem too but there was a word I typed in like admin which allowed me to sign in. Any help from any linux users would be greatly appreciated.

2. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Did you buy a copy or down load the free version? If you bought a copy you should e-mail tech support. That would be the best solution to your loging in problem. YOu might also want to look at the Fedora Project as the next increase in the Redhat world.

3. Xian

Xian Regular member

Try to boot to single mode and see if you can reset the password. At the lilo boot: prompt type
    linux single
    You will have to exit the graphical login to a text prompt if you have it set to login that way. Once you are in single mode you can try to change the root password using the passwd command
    In the Basic System Recovery section in the RH 8 Customization Manual it says:
    Root Password

What can you do if you forget your root password? To reset it to a different password, boot into rescue mode or single-user mode and use the passwd command to reset the root password.

4. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Sorry miss read your question. I thought you were loging in for updates online.
    Try what Xian mentioned. Or since you only had it for 45mins I am assuming you don`t have much data there. So you could just install the new full version of Fedora. The new version 2 is out and can be downloaded. This (in the wrong way) could almost be consider as RedHat 11 as I don`t think they will release another version under the RedHat title.

5. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

After messing around with fedora 2, I would definetly recomed usign it instead of Redhat 9.
    I had quick a few problems with it and they are all solved in the new fedora release.