Region codes

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by allin, Jun 4, 2003.

1. allin

allin Regular member

hello
    i live in the UK and own a region 2 dvd player. Im thinking about buying a region 1 dvd from the US but Im not sure if I will be able to back it up. I know the dvd wont play on my stand alone player but is it possible to back it up using my pioneer A05 and change the region code to 2? Will I run into problems trying to do this?

If anyone out there has done this please let me know how you did it and how easy it was.

Thanks

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

When you rip the movie with either [bold]Smartripper [/bold] or [bold]DVD Decrypter [/bold] the region will be extracted leaving it region-free

3. corngrits

corngrits Member

There is also DVD Dhrink. It's free and it will decode and shrink a movie for you. It also allows you to make the DVD region free or pick the regions you want the DVD to be associated with (has a check box menu). With a little practice it's a great program. I've noticed fewer spots in the movie where the scene will freeze for a half second or so than when I use DVDDecrypter and DVD2One (though they are great programs in their own right).

Just remember putting DVD's into your DVD-rom from different regions will effect your number of region code changes. If you, uh, back-up movies from other regions often then I'd look info a Region Free program for the DVD-rom. I did it on my DVD-rom since I back up a lot of foreign films. Works great.

Hope this helps.

CG_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Windows XP Pro
    Sony Dru-500AX w/Veritas RecordNow DX 4.6
    DVDDecryptor, DVD2One, DVDXCopy
    Denver, CO USA
    Perfer Ritek and Verbatim or FujiFilm when local computer store has them on sale.[/small]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2003
  4. allin

allin Regular member

Cheers Guys!

I was just want to make sure this could be done with ease before I bought the dvd.

5. robut222

robut222 Guest

If you don't care to play, say a Region 3, on an Region 1 drive that you don't want to flash, I should still be able to read it with DVD Decrypter to take out the region code, shouldn't I? Or do I need to flash or use a region-free utility and make my drive region free before reading? Thanks.

6. herbsman

The answer would be yes , you have to play a fraction of the DVD to unlock it ready for rip/decrypt process.So Flash RPC1 Firmware or Region-Free software needed yes !: )

7. herbsman

The answer would be yes , you have to play a fraction of the DVD to unlock it ready for rip/decrypt process.So Flash RPC1 Firmware or Region-Free software needed yes !: )

8. hart94109

hart94109 Member

everyone are concern about region code, but i am more curious about the NTSC to PAL system issue . does anyone know if i make a DVD at USA (NTSC system) can playback in UK (PAL system)

9. allin

allin Regular member

It plays fine hart.
    I bought fear and loathing from the US and so far it plays with no problems on my dvd player (which i had to make region free).

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Of course it can play back. As long as the hardware supports it, the frames per second will automatically change depending on the Region of disc you insert.

11. robut222

robut222 Guest

Turns out I don't need to make my DVD drive region free. I finally copied a region 3 DVD without making my region 1 DVD drive region-free. DVDDecrypter did what it was suppose to do. I was just pulling my hair out for nothing because the first region 3 DVD that I tried just wasn't working. The next subsequent region 3 DVDs that I tried worked! Everyone's advice was wrong, but I appreciate the effort. I guess I must be the only one who doesn't care to play multi-region DVDs on my computer. Anyone know where to go to get specific resolutions for difficult DVDs to backup? I think I saw a forum somewhere, but if you could point me in the right direction again, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2003
  12. hart94109

hart94109 Member

problem with mine PC, i am in USA, and my powerDVD palyer was set to no region, but can't play even reion 1 disc here unless i use DVD Decrypter work on it first.
    however, does any one know ...do i have to use "DVD Decrypter" before "dvd shirk" compress it ? cause i shirk it directly from disc, and it stll not region free ...

13. robut222

robut222 Guest

DVDShrink doesn't rip. You have to rip it with your DVDDecrypter first.

14. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

DVD Shrink doesnt rip??? What planet are you on?? DVD Shrink will rip and compress your DVD movie no problem. Obviously you haven't used it before robut?

Use DVD Shrink to rip and compress your video and an appropriate burning package to burn.

15. robut222

robut222 Guest

Okay, my bad. But it seems most of the guides I've read use it in conjunction with DVDDecrypter and ripping with DVD Shrink is the alternate method. I'm assuming it's because DVD Decrypter rips faster? Anyone succeed in removing region code with DVD Shrink? It seems the fellow earlier only got it to work using DVD Decrypter. I'd like to know myself.

16. billmex

billmex Guest

Down here in Mexico almost 50 per cent of all dvd players are region free. and many of us go to (i think it's vcdhelp.com) to get hacks to make other plyers region free. I thought that all disc's copied with dvd shink were region free if you left the software in default mode? is this coorect? I realize that decrypter also does this.

17. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

DVD Shrink always removes the region code unless you ask it not to. If you need help with it visit my guide by clicking on DVD Shrink in the following website:

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk

Or go to the DVD Shrink guide on the afterdawn forum!

Chris