Remove taskbar startup icons

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Spider323, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Hi,
    I was wondering how I can stop two icons from my taskbar from starting up when I start the computer? The first icon is my windows automatic updates. When I right click on it it goes to the screen to install updates. The second icon is the local area connection icon. When I right click on it it only gives me the option to open network connections. I would like to get rid of these from my start up to make my computer faster. And I do know about the msconfig but I'm not sure what these are called on it.
    Please help, Thanks!

2. Reaper_3

Reaper_3 Guest

right click ur computer and go to automatic updates, then start run msconfig start up disable all.

Reaper

3. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

To turn off the automatic update feature try the following:

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services then look for an entry called "Automatic Updates" - it should be near the top of the list.

Once you find "Automatic Updates" double click it. You should have a new "Properties" window open up where you can look for the drop down called "Startup Type". Select "Disable" then click OK. Now it won't bug you anymore :)

It helps figuring out what the entries mean in msconfig by entering each one into google, reading up on them and always erring on the side of caution. If it's a no-brainer then take it out, but if you're still not sure what it does after reading up on it then it's best to leave it (I can tell you from experience!).

Hope this helps :)

5. Nephilim

Or you can forget google and use blackviper lol! Much easier :) Nice link DarkmanX.

6. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

That is there because you have updates to install (which is a very good idea). Once your OS is up to date, that icon will only show up when there are new updates.

7. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Thanks, Nephilim it worked!

8. Nephilim

Good :)

Now that it's off, it's still a good idea to check for updates regularly as sly has already suggested!

9. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

Hey Nephilim, Glad you liked the link. My computer starts up sooo much faster without all of those programs not running. ? though, this may sound dumb, but how do you get your animated image with your posts? I read the posts [​IMG]. Do I have to get the image froma website or can I use a jpeg on my hard drive?