1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing Labels From DVDR's & CD-R's

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by manestle, Nov 30, 2004.

1. jbelder

jbelder Member

I have over 350 that are labeled and some are a couple years old with no problems what so ever.Also all of my PS2 backups are labeled too. with no problems.

2. manestle

manestle Member

All I can say is that almost ALL my labeled DVD's failed. I used Nero CD-DVD Speed which is an incredible utility used by many professionals which will perform all kinds of tests on your drives and media. I took a few of my labeled DVDR's and ran them through the "scan disc" portion of this program. I choose to analize the files and the surface of these problemed discs. It found many damaged files (unreadable) and even problems with the surface. I then removed the labels (had a heck of a time and that's why I started this thread) and re-ran the same tests and the discs came out 100% error free and played great. Basically labeling is a bad idea and I can't imagine it working for anyone else but if so great but NO more labeling for me. You can download Nero CD-DVD Speed utility for free at http://www.cdspeed2000.com

3. kbuegel

kbuegel Member

Count yourself lucky then. I've talked with dozen's of folks whose DVD's are no longer playable due to paper adhesive labels. Remove the labels, and they play fine again.
    Are you using DVD's with paper adhesive labels printed on an inkjet printer? Seems like people who use laser printers or use clear plastic labels don't have problems, and of course if you hub labels then they work fine. Also, you might try playing your DVD's in someone else's player. The problems usually show up as pixelation, artifacts and jittery playback and usually doesn't appear until about 2/3rds through a normal length movie. In worst cases, the DVD is unplayable and will hang up, and sometimes it just happens in a region of the DVD (usually towards the end) and other times it covers the whole DVD right up to the menu. Again, removal of the label fixes it so everyone assumes it is the label that is causing it.

I still have not heard of a logical reason why the labels don't work. As I said before, its not a balance or wobble issue. Could be the adhesive, could be something to do with heat retention by the paper, or maybe something else.

4. jbelder

jbelder Member

I always use thermal printable discs Prodisc S03 4x. I think the extra surface is what helps plus they are made for thermal which is high heat.I've made copies for countless people with no problems. Plus I use DVDInfopro which is way better than dvd speed I've never been real impressed with nero. I PI/PO test alot of my burns which is far better than a surface scan or a speed test for quality thats what its made for.I've burned thousands of discs over the years that are still like the way they were when I burned them originally.

5. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Hi folks sorry to come in late on this thread but, I was sterilizing some bottles a few years back (home brew)
    I left the bottles soaking in a propriety cleaner, i.e. safe for babies etc after a short while all the labels just floated of the bottles.
    Hope this info is of some use.

regards Gringle.

6. manestle

manestle Member

I sometimes also use DVDInfoPro v3.43 sometimes but kind of favor Nero CD-DVD Speed. They are both excellent diagnostic applications. I just ran accross another DVDR that I labeled and as usual it took a crap. It would just spin in both my DVDRW drives without being able to read the data. Ran it through both Nero CD-DVD Speed and DVDInfoPro and neither program could even get started with the diagnostic test. I removed the label using warm water and then Goo Gone (Took about an hour) and guess what? The disc was magically repaired. I am a true believer that labeling DVDR's with sticky labels is BAD. Every label I have removed from unreadable discs has cured the problem.

7. JAYRA

JAYRA Member

I have used memorex labels on about 400+ DVD's and they al play perfect on all my DVD players. I just prin them off at kinkos and it has been working great for me.

8. manestle

manestle Member

Unless I'm doing something wrong which I don't know what. I used Neato MediaFace labels with there applicator. I've also used CD Stomper labels (which are thinner paper) with there applicator with my printer set to "Low Ink" volume. I also calibrated my printer to print exactly centered on the label. I have had nothing but problems with reading the data. Now here is the strange thing I haven't mentioned. They will play fine in all me DVD players and also in my DVDRW drives but when I want to make a copy of one of them I always get read errors during the copy process and the burn is aborted. Now I've used Nero 6, Alcohol 120%, CloneCD & CloneDVD and I get the same result. Once I remove the label I no longer get the read errors. I want to also mention I've used Memorex, Verbatim, Maxell, TDK and Ritek with the same outcome so the media is not an issue and the software is not the issue. The problem all points to the labeling.

9. beefer1

beefer1 Member

I'm having similar problems with Stomper cd labels on m DVDs. I'm a a loss as to why. When I first burned them and labelled them, they played fine in my DVD players and my friends machines that I lent them to. It seem that just lately, this problem of not being able to read the last portion of the disks is showing up. It doesn't matter which type of DVD media, all seem to be affected. All the dvd players that I've checked have the same symptoms, as well, both CD/DVD drives on my computers can't read them either. As soon as I peel the label off, all machines can read them fine. The only variable that has changed is the weather, it's now winter. Maybe it has something to do with the lower humidity affecting the labels and/or glue.

The best method of removing the labels I've come across so far, is just peeling them off very, very slowly so they don't shred, mind you this works better with some disks than others. If I do get a lot of residue, I soak them in hot soapy water to remove the bulk of the paper and residue, then a bit of WD-40 to clean off the glue followed by a good wash with soap and water. Either way is slow.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2004
  10. manestle

manestle Member

Well beefer1, I'm glad someone else agrees with me that I'm not just imagining the problem with the labels. I just can't hardly believe that no one else seems to have this problem and believe me it's the labels that render the read errors. Remove the label and the disc is now readable again. DO NOT LABEL DVDR'S is my best advice unless you use a regular disc labeling printer. That may be my next purchase as I like a label on a disc whether it's an original or a custom made one. But for now it's Sharpie action.

11. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Wow and flying filly Wow agin,
    So most folk think labels ain't no good!

Hal the flying filly Lu- ya.

just me on a new year rave,

happy new year folks.

12. pulsar

pulsar Active member

LOL
    What does all this mean please?

"Wow and flying filly Wow agin,
    So most folk think labels ain't no good!

Hal the flying filly Lu- ya. "

A lot of people here don't like labels on their dvds, myself included.

Could you please elucidate for the unenlightened?

Pulsar

13. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Hi and Happy New year Pulsar,

Just me on a fun rave 'bout folk repeating how labels ain't no good.

(mumbles ter self) what was the question?

14. pulsar

pulsar Active member

And a Happy New Year to you Gringle.
    What question?? LOL

15. kbuegel

kbuegel Member

Well- my question was: Is there a good way to mass-remove paper labels? I have about 200 labeled DVD's and need to re-label them.

16. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Use a bottle cleaning fluid of the type used to clean baby feeding bottles or sterilizes home made wine or beer bottles for large quantities. The powder for cleaning wines bottles costs' about £10.00 in the U.K and can be purchased from most wine kit shops. I can't remember the name, but it's in a bright yellow box.
    Make the solution as directed, in a long flat container, (I used a bath LOL) spread out your discs' label up, leave to soak for an hour or so and the labels will float off and leave your discs' gunk free and shiny.
    And if you are of mind; you can now safely feed babies, and humans off them LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2005
  17. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I was trying to be ironic kbeugel!

18. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

When a crime lab removes a stamp from a paper envelope, they use stem to loosen the stamp without damaging any possible DNA.

In other words, boil some hot water and wait until you get alot of stem; Then hover the cd/dvd with the label over the stem... this will allow you to pull back the label/sticker.

[bold]Warning:[/bold]

do not allow the disc to get too hot! Just stem for a little while.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  19. perealb

perealb Member

I'm thinking about getting printable white DVD-Rs. Is it OK to use an ink jet printer to print on those lables? What are your experiences with it?

Thanks

20. beefer1

beefer1 Member

I tried printable dvds, big problem with these is finding one that are good enough quality, I've tried Prodisc, okitech(?) and ritek, all give me very high PI/PO error rates when run through dvd-info. Only the ritek allowed me to burn a full disc. This only happens with printable DVDs (and this is before printing anything to the label side). Not quite sure what is up, but maybe they're just shitty quality. Supposedly, Taiyo Yudan discs are the Cat's ass , but I can't find them locally.