1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rip anythin with vlc - even complex ARccOS copy Protection on DVDs

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by joetain, Apr 9, 2006.

1. joetain

joetain Member

A new discovery I made.

Some modern dvd's are very difficult to rip, but by using vlc, and no other software, you can rip anything vlc can play.

Many DVDs that fail using AnyDVD or DVDDecryptor can be copied using Vlc.

Using vlc, you can stream the input to a raw file, and play that file back. In the file open, choose the DVD (not the menus method, but the simple one) check stream output, and in the streaming options, check "file" and "dump raw input", and then set the name to yourmoviename.raw.

If you hit play after you do this, it will create a raw file of the DVD.

Its not too hard to reencode that as anyother sort later.

If you need to access the menus to play the part you need, there's another trick.

Open up one copy of vlc and use the stream to network, UDP option. use localhost for the machine name.

Then open another vlc instance (you may need to enable multiple instances in the advanced options). In this method, use open network stream, and then use stream output and choose file and "dump raw input" again.

Then any menu choices and anything you play in the first vlc instance will be captured and saved by the other. Amazing.

You can lastly you vlc to encode into compressed files. I've had the best luck with video as mp4v, audio as vorbis and container format as ogg. I call the file "moviename.ogm". It works great!

Its so simple too, not a million programs to download, just consistent good results.

Thanks vlc!

2. joetain

joetain Member

Thought I'd mention that it works on Linux too. Which is good since most other linux rippers (ie: k9copy) fail on modern complex copy protection.

3. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Uh, don't recall any DVDs failing with AnyDVD...Could you name one?