1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rip guard news

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by sreiter, Jul 4, 2005.

1. sreiter

sreiter Member

I everyone,

First, let me say hello. I'm a long time lurker, and have gotten great info and insight from this board I thought I'd share my "rip guard" experience with you.

First a little background:

A good friend of mine is a martial arts instructional video producer who's stuff gets pirated and sold on e-bay, so he is very keen on "copy protection"

He knows I'm hand with the various software programs available and always asks me to try to "rip" copies of his DVD's after each new copy protection scheme he employs (which I always manage to do).

During a discussion, he said there's no way to beat rip guard(which he is going to start using - he'll be like the 4th or 5th company in the world to use it)...blah, blah, blah...

I said, someone will crack it...blah...blah..blah

I suggested he send me something and let me try and rip it using whats available currently.

He talked to his rep about "is friend that can rip anything"...and the rep gave him, to give to me, a rip guard protected disk (it's something in vietnameese)

anyway, after trieng several proggies (including the combo a forum member suggested on a different thread) - here's the results

almost all crashed immediately, some crashed later with a CRC.

I was able to rip 48% using decrypter with the "mode" set to "file f" before

I havent tried everything in the book yet, but wanted to give you guys the heads-up - ESPECIALLY those who read the posts about someone who cracked it - not happening yet - although I look forward to someone with way more talent then myself defeating this latest scourge.

Steve

2. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

Hello my friend,

Did you try anydvd??? See how that goes...48 percent is not bad when you take into consideration when sony arcoos came out i could not even get it to load... believe me our friends at slysoft are working on it...arcoos was suppose to be the best encryption..it was broken 2 days before its offical release...trust me i would not worry

3. luisis1

luisis1 Member

ripguard HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

SLYSOFT IS THE BEST

4. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

When we laugh at copyprotection that is just too good. If it lasted 2 weeks I would give them a lot of credit

5. sreiter

sreiter Member

will try anydvd tomorrow -

humm.... do our friends at slysoft have a ripguard dvd they are trying to "make a legit backup copy" of?

maybe they should contact someone and tell them they want to "make sure the protection is as good as they advertise.

or, i might be convinced to donate mine to an interested party -

currently, there arent alot of companies using the protection scheme -

Last edited: Jul 4, 2005
  6. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

OH iam sure slysoft will break it in NO time

as ac/dc says (stick that in your fuse box)

7. sreiter

sreiter Member

is there a guide for anydvd -

i launched it, and expected it to just "work" - as the description says it just "works" whenever a dvd is in the player - I then proceeded to use dvd decrypter to make my legit backup, and I got the same errors - anydvd did not give me "error fixed" messages -

am I doing something wrong?

I might be, because when looking at the clonedvd description, it states "use anydvd as a ripper first"

thanks

8. arniebear

arniebear Active member

According to Slysoft they can only adjust AnyDVD after they have the disk, or files to work with. Maybe you should send them your files I am sure they would be interested.

9. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

YES! Drop the disk in the mail......PLEASE! They could get a nice head start and take out Ripguard...we all know its coming so that would be a nice advanatage!

10. arniebear

arniebear Active member

All you have to do is try to rip and when it doesn't work email them the log showing the errors, they prefer if you use CloneDVD2 but they probably would take DVD Decrypter log. You can also just show them what AnyDVD is showing about the disk.

11. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

That would so great...please do it!

12. squizzle

squizzle Active member

No there is no need for a guide for anydvd. It runs in the background and rips off encryptions. If yo see the fox in your taskbar (next to your clock) then it should be working. The latest is 5.2.6.1, make sure you are using that. It has 3 status possibilities: On, off, or empty. Empty is when there's no disc in the drive, Off is when you have it disabled for that specific drive and there's a disc in (I think), and on is when it's working.

13. sreiter

sreiter Member

Thanks -

i'll start off getting them them log -

arniebear -

by "send them my files", do you mean send them my disc?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2005
  14. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

You could email them...

15. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I would email slysoft, and ask them. What they need is the ifo files to make their adjustments.

16. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

17. sreiter

sreiter Member

Arnie -

LOL - if i could e-mail them a .iso, that would mean i was able to rip it in the first place

thanks

18. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

well if you could sent them the disc lol

19. christ93

christ93 Regular member

I dont know if you tried this yet, but hold down the shift key to diable the autostart function of the DVD ROM. I know its low tech but thats how a CD copy protection was intstalled. It installed some mini driver or some such crap. You also might want to check to see if the disk installed any malware. Macrovision went that route when they did the copy protection for Turbo Tax a couple of years ago. Just look for any new files that have a creation or modified date of the day you tried to rip the DVD. If I remember correctly Macrovision did release an uninstaller, that suprise, did not work. The people that were experiencing problems had to rebuild their PC's, but I could be wrong about that. I did some checking and found that the protection was called Safecast. Just do a Google search for that. I'm wondering if Rip Guard is an outgrowth of that?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2005
  20. S2K

S2K Regular member

sreiter

what the "rep" did was give your "friend" a damaged disk.