Ripping music CD didn't get 1.4Mbps on FLAC

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by happy hopping, Apr 17, 2024.

1. happy hopping

happy hopping Member

I have an original music Cd, as I use Nero ROM, under Extras, I choose Save Audio Tracks to hard drive, after selected FLAC, there is pull down under "Quality", so I assume it should get 1.4Mbps.

But all I get is 44.1kHz, 16 bit, but a range of 480 bps to 732 bps, depends on the song (of the same CD)

I then play back that original music CD, and ea. song does shows 1.4Mbps, so how do you rip it to get 1.4Mbps?

2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Are you actually able to copy the files to your hard drive? Nero won't allow one to copy files from a copy protected disc.

3. happy hopping

happy hopping Member

4. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Let me know what they have to say. I didn't need to address the bitrate issue if you can't get the files off the disc.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  5. happy hopping

happy hopping Member

I did get the files off the disc. I just didn't get the bps right.

is there any noticeable difference btwn. WAV vs. FLAC for female / male vocal? as someone told me WAV bps should be at 1.4Mbps

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

CD's are originally encoded at a sample rate of 16, bit 44.1KHZ, or a bitrate of 1,411 Kbps (1.411 MBS), and WAV is a lossless uncompressed file copy which specs the same as the original CD and makes them quite large for storage. FLAC's efficiency allows it to keep that quality at about half the size of WAV. There should be no audible difference between WAV and FLAC. MP3 is a lossy format that works through compression by removing duplicate frequencies to confuse the human ear. For example some frequencies in a musical work will be present in several different recorded instruments/vocals within that work. Since a human being can only hear a single instance of a particular frequency, only one instance is kept, and all the duplicates removed. This allows MP3 to reduce storage size considerably but if done right it's difficult for many humans to hear the difference between WAV/FLAC and 320 kbps Mp3.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    scorpNZ and wither 1 like this.
  7. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Did you hear from tech support yet? Also, would you mind uploading one of the saved files to a site like dropbox, one drive, etc. and sharing, then getting a link and posting the link here?

8. happy hopping

happy hopping Member

no, I didn't contact them. The nero I Use is 2010, I don't know if a newer ver. can give 1.4Mbps. You guys should know if you use a newer ver.

Just today, I try dbPowerAmp, and all the FLAC ripped are 1.4MPbs, so that fixes my problem

Thank you for all of you that helps out

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I stopped using Nero years ago. That being said, I don't think you actually had a problem to begin with. FLAC is a lossless form of compression because no audio data is removed, meaning the quality should be identical to the original but in a smaller package. An optimum bitrate for FLAX is 960 kbps. More won't make it sound better but it will take up more hard disk and recordable media space.

10. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

In regards to Nero support, I failed to see that the link you gave me actually showed how to do it. I focused on the fact that it was for support and didn't page down. Not to bright.

To my knowledge (I have Nero v8 through v2024) Burning Rom hasn't changed the decoders/encoders for Flac. Nero uses proprietary decoders/encoders for FLAC.

I wanted a file so that I could see if converting it to Flac using Nero WaveEditor might give you the bitrate you desired.

11. happy hopping

happy hopping Member

too late for that. Once I got the new set of FLAC at 1.4MPbs, to save space, I already delete the older files by Nero at 480 to 960 kbps for those songs

12. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

You could always rip an extra one using NBR but it's not necessary.