1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rookie Torrent User...How do I extract and play my game?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by blumey, Dec 16, 2005.

1. blumey

blumey Member

Well, it's obvious I'm a rookie with not only bit torrent, but working with these sorts of files yada yada. There's no getting around that. Nonetheless, I downloaded a game for my PC with bitlord. The file finished and now I'm left with a couple of MDF files, a couple of MDS files, a BIN file and a CUE file. I downloaded dvd encrypter and obviously I have winrar. I just don't have an idea as to what the hell I'm doing. I just wanna play the game, man.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  2. andmerr

andmerr Guest

heres all the relevant info you need to finish your project

BIN/CUE images are CD-Images that come in both a .bin and .cue file. The .cue file just stores information on the bin file for the burning software. This CD Image type is one of the most used today and is very reliable. Try the Afterdawn BIN/CUE FAQ here.

1) What is a .BIN? What is a .CUE? What is an .ISO

The .BIN / .CUE CD image format was made popular by the CDRWin software. Afterwards many programs have started supporting or partially supporting it, including: Nero, BlindWrite, CloneCD, FireBurner. The .CUE file contains the track layout information, while the .BIN file holds the actual data.

.ISO is also a CD image format, but is sometimes used for 'ISO9660 format' (standard, recognized by all applications) and sometimes for unique Easy CD ISO format.

2) I have download .BIN&.CUE/.ISO files - what to do with them?

You can burn them to a CD-R or a CD-RW with:

-Alcohol 120% - My favourite, excellent software, easy and yet very advanced (burns ISO, BIN/CUE, CCD, CDI, BWT files!):
    http://cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/alcohol120.cfm

- BlindWrite - easy to use: http://www.cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_applications/blindwrite_suite.cfm

- FireBurner - also very good, a single .EXE file! http://www.cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_applications/fireburner.cfm

- BurnAtOnce - A handy and FREE tool for burning .bin/.cue/.iso. Easy to use!
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_applications/burnatonce.cfm

- Nero - many of you have this, but it can't handle all image files:
    http://www.cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_applications/nero.cfm

- CDRWin - This is the original BIN/CUE software:
    http://www.cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_applications/cdrwin.cfm

You can also mount image files as virtual CD-ROM drives using

Alcohol - http://cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/alcohol120.cfm

Daemon Tools - http://www.cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/daemon_tools.cfm

There are also several softwares you can use to exploit & manipulate BIN/CUE files in various ways:

CDMage - http://www.geocities.com/cdmage/
    IsoBuster - http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/

3) I have a .BIN file but no .CUE?

.CUE can be made with just Notepad. A typical Playstation(One or 2) .CUE file looks like this:

FILE "image-name.BIN" BINARY
    TRACK 1 MODE2/2352
    INDEX 1 00:00:00

A typical PC CD-ROM .CUE looks like this:

FILE "image-name.BIN" BINARY
    TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00

"image-name.BIN" being the name of the image file (IWDII.BIN, CIV3.BIN and so on...)

Notice the difference of the track mode - PC-ROMs being Mode 1, Playstations CDs Mode 2 and (Super)Video CDs are also MODE2/2352.

4) How do I make .BIN/.CUE files?

CDRWin or the BIN/CUE format is not ideal for distributing. BlindWrite suite and CloneCD perform a lot better in this purpose and can also handle various copy protections. Both of these softwares can also create .CUE files for increased compatibility

5) I have a .BIN & .CUE, but my CD writing software can't locate the .BIN file?

Edit the .CUE file with Notepad (or similar) and verify that the FILE "C:\path\image.bin" matches the location of your image file

6) My image file is IMAGE.BIN.EXE and I can't rename it!

Read here
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/23982

7) Sector sizes of CD image files (by Aldaco12)

When you talk about images must think on SECTORS not on DATA SIZE.

The rules are:

1)A standard 74 min CD is made by 333,000 sectors.
    2) Each sector is 2352 bytes big, and contains 2048 bytes of PC (MODE1)Data, 2336 bytes of PSX/VCD (MODE2) Data or 2352 bytes of AUDIO.
    3) The difference between secor size and data content are the Headers info and the Error Correction Codes, that are big for Data (high precision required), small for VCD (standard for video) and none for audio.
    4)If you extract data in RAW format (standard for creating images) you always extract 2352 bytes per sector, not 2048/2336/2352 bytes depending on data type (basically, you extract the whole sector).

This fact has two main consequences:

a) You can record data at very high speed (40x) without losing information, but if you try to do the same with PSX or Audio you get unredable CD (for PSX) od audio CD with lots of clicks because there are not error correction codes (and error are more likely to occur if you record at high speed.

b) On a 74 min CD you can fit very large RAW images,up to 333,000 x 2352 = 783,216,000 bytes (747 Mb). This should be the upper limit for a RAW image created from a 74 min CD. Remember that if you store standard data (backup files), you can burn only 333,000 x 2048 = 681,984,000 bytes (the well known 650 MB limit).

Please note that an image size is ALWAYS a multple of 2352 bytes (you extract SECTORS), if extracted in RAW mode.

UPDATE 13.10.2002: Added FAQs 5 and 6
    UPDATE 24.10.2002: Added BurnAtOnce
    UPDATE 28.10.2002: Added Alcohol 120%
    UPDATE 29.10.2002: Brief ISO comment
    UPDATE 17.01.2003: Added Aldaco12's sector size post. Cleaned the threa

3. andmerr

andmerr Guest

slow server

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2005
  4. andmerr

andmerr Guest

you have downloaded 2 sets of different image files.

with this one you just needed to use dvd decrypter in :

[​IMG]

allyou need to do is point the program in the directionof the folder that the bin and cue file is in.It will see the .bin file but you will know that both files are in that folder, dont worry.It will burn the .bin file to disc

5. blumey

blumey Member

Alright, well thanks for the tip. Now I have burned a disc with the cue file on it. I popper her back into the drive, and I'm not getting any read on the disc. Now what am I doing wrong. I never did anything with the MDS or MDF files. What is says is that Disc 1 has both an MDS and MDF file along with Disc 3. But, Disc 2 is the BIN/CUE file. I don't know if that means anything.

6. andmerr

andmerr Guest

as for the other 'mdf/mds:

One of several CD image formats that Alcohol 120% can mount. Alcohol 120% is used for media backup. IsoBuster can interpret these files directly

7. blumey

blumey Member

Alright, you're gonna have to excuse my ignorance here. But, I've burned the three discs and re-inserted the first into my laptop and it worked and I began the installation process. When it asked for my second disc though, which i was told in the instructions to burn with nero or cdrwin, where as the first and third discs were burned with alchohol 120%, it didn't work. I tried to re-make it with cdrwin, and still got the same result. Therefore, I'm just having problems with this second disk with the media on it. I'll paste a copy of the instructions that came with my torrent file:

CD1 = INSTALL (.MDS) add-tw6a ³
    ³ CD2 = MEDIA (.CUE) add-tw6b ³
    ³ CD3 = COURSES (.MDS) add-tw6c ³
    ³ ³
    ³ 1. EXTRACT ³
    ³ 2. BURN CD 1 AND 3 WITH ALCOHOL 120% V1.9.5.3105 ³
    ³ USING THE SAFEDISK 2/3 SETTINGS ³
    ³ 3. BURN CD 2 WITH NERO OR CDRWIN USING STANDARD METHOD ³
    ³ 4. INSTALL, ENTER SERIAL# 8AA2-2MR7-N565-2AXC-AZ6P ³
    ³ 5. PLAY.

8. blumey

blumey Member

Still not getting it...Can anyone help me?

9. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Okay, do I need a program to open a .iso file? I just downloaded AutoCad 2006 and it is a .iso file and I can't open it. What program should I use?

10. andmerr

andmerr Guest

do you know what an iso file is:???????????

11. shadow18

shadow18 Member

Ok, i read most of this thread and my problem is semirelated, so i figured id add it on.

I dl'd evil dead regeneration through azureus and i got a bunch of rar files with the same name (rld-edrg) but diff extensions. they ended with .rXX, XX being the number of the file in ascending order, starting at 00. oddly enough, when XX hit the 30s, the files were no longer rar files and just became .rXX files. anyway, at the end of these was a rld-edrg.rar and an rld-edrg.sfv. i unrar'd that last rar file and got a 2,147,174 kb iso file, which i then mounted with daemon. this seemed to work, cuz the install went fine. however, when i tried to play, i only got the first menu (which gave me controls, setup, and play options). if i tried to hit play, it would give me this: "Wrong Disc Inserted. Please insert the original 'THQ Evil Dead' CD/DVD." Assuming the image is mounted correctly and i didnt screw up the extraction part, that shouldnt have happened, should it?

12. shadow18

shadow18 Member

nevermind, im good

13. marep

marep Guest

Hi there; what to do with a rar containing 32 files (20MB each - last one a bit smaller) named like file.001 - file.032?
    If I view the first file, it contains file.cue and file.bin, others just file.bin.
    (a PS2 game)
    :-(
    :-((
    ...days of googling and experimenting...
    I succeeded today:)))
    1-rename file.000 to file.rar
    2-rename file.001-032 to file.r00-030
    3-unrar (to file.cue and file.bin)
    4-burn using ALC - thats it!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2006
  14. theone777

theone777 Member

HOPE YOU STILL GOT THOSES FILES BLUMEY?

this is what you do i also downloaded tiger woods pro 2006 (3 image files with instructions that didnt work), you would follow the instructions & cd 1 and cd 3 wouldnt read. i almost deleted them but i thought i play around with them for a bit, because i dont like wasting my time getting things that dont work. i then opened up ulta iso ver 7.6.5.1250, i then had a go at burning the images with that, i got a message unable to burn image unreconized image (or somethig like that). i then coverted the mds image using ulta iso ver 7.6.5.1250 to bin and cue, then i burned the new image (NOT A PROBLEM), i done the same with disc 3 just 1 little problem with that disc, you need to convert the disc 3 mds image to bin and cue (or any other image as a matter of fact), but you must burn with Alcohol 120% v1.9.5.3105 in safemode 2/3 (basically as your told in the instructions). if you dont do this with disc 3 the game will install but wont run. im also not sure if its just ulta iso ver 7.6.5.1250 that you need to covert the images with other versions might work as well as other image converters.

good luck .... and enjoy the game i am

15. MrBlack78

MrBlack78 Member

K, i 2 am having similar problems with Tiger, but I think I might know the reason why, but input would be helpful. I grabbed the same version as blumey, with Cd 1&3 bein MDS. and Cd2 just a regular ISO Cue. burn. So, stupid as I am, i'm followin along with the directions, tryin 2 burn cd3 with Alcohol 1.9.5 (3105) and kept gettin a write error after simulation. So I decided 2 mount cd1 with Daemon 4.03, and cd3 with Alcohol, with a valid cd2 install disk. Install went fine, but wouldnt fire up. Askin me 2 insert Courses Cd3 which i 1st tried 2 just run emulated. Long shot i know, but the installNFO. I downloaded instructed me 2 mount the MDS. after install and all would play fine. Well it didn't, so I took theone777's advice, used Ultra ISO and converted the MDS. to a Bin. Cue. This is when my stupidity kicked in, as I looked at the file size of CD3 for the 1st time, and realized it was 758 megs. So, im guessin im shite outta luck unless I burn this onto a DVD, which i havent done yet, because of a lack of necessity, even though i use a combo drive. So, if this is the case, some1 would lemme know i'd appreciate it. If there's another way, Im all ears. Im guessin theone777's point of installin fine but not runnin is a prob when im usin an emulated CD3, and not a burnt 1. Cheers

16. theone777

theone777 Member

convert disc 3 like i said before, burn with alcholl 120 in safemode 2/3 as said before the file size dont matter it will burn to cd, then play. what is the problem belive me when i say i have no problem playing this game. enjoy