1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rule of Law in Online Communities

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Yashichi, May 7, 2022.

1. Yashichi

Yashichi Member

I wish to start this with a question as to whether any of you have read Nicolas Suzor's 2010 article titled "The Role Of The Rule Of Law In Virtual Communities"?

Yes, I know that I have just jumped over Lawrence Lessig's writings from 1998 onwards, but there's purpose in that, if you'll allow me some freedom here.

As for links, or further explanation, other than what the title is very clearly stating - - - well, how about the links be a little later once we have established whether anyone is even interested in this topic. Plus I am not sure I remember what the rules here are on posting links, even if to '.edu' sites.

As for "further explanation" - - - well, that thread title is rather clear, yes?

Well, how about a question to answer a question: Do any of you know of an Online Community that follows Ballot Box Rule?

Now I have started using the vocabulary Ballot Box Rule because the word 'democracy' makes some folks nervous. And there are other words that could be used, like parliamentary rule, but that also makes some folks nervous. So I sort of decided to start with a kind of new thing for the purpose of explaining that the Online Community Citizens run the show in a given community. Not those fancy words like democracy and parliamentary, but simple plain language, the "Ballot Box". Of course, we would be using some sort of digital ballot box, but I would bet one of you super smart programming wizards could come up with a neat and safe digital ballot box, yes? Yep, I knew you could.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  2. Yashichi

Yashichi Member

Okey-dokey, no takers, yet. No problem. This is going to be a step-by-step process.

The reason I started this thread with that reference to Mr. Suzor is because he has the special credentials as an academic to be taken seriously when he states there is such a thing as an Online Community. Me, I ain't nobody and so nobody is going to pay attention when I write about an Online Community. But when Mr. Suzor does, you have to give him some credit and that means that maybe there really is such a thing as an Online Community.

Like here. Would any member of this community want to dispute the assertion that this is an Online Community? Please have at it, if you want to do so.

And I now should apologize to those that are members here that use English as a second language. If you are such a person you may find my style very difficult at times. I do write strangely way too often. I also use punctuation in very odd ways; nothing like (in some cases) you learned in school or with a tutor. So my apologies for that. But I am a strange human, so when my fingers type weird stuff that my brain sends them signals to type, please forgive me. I can't help myself, and at 69 years of age it is too late for me to change my style.

Okay, enough of that - - - back to the last question - - - is this an Online Community?

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The answer is yes it's an online community. Perhaps one not thriving as it once did, but it's nonetheless still a community.

If your intent is to initiate a discussion centered on Nicolas Suzor's work, then a good start would be to provide a link to it for others to review.

Here is a link to a downloadable copy in pdf.

https://tind-customer-berkeleylaw.s...f5a746163360bb52527186b4449df8eaef3c1ef2dba98

4. Yashichi

Yashichi Member

I'm having serious anger management trouble, Sophocles; so let me please get back to you here. Thank you.

Well, the manner in which the admin team here assists me with that other problem will determine if I stay. I'm very, very unhappy at the moment. Please excuse me. 20 something years in this business and I've never seen such bovine excrement as was thrown into my face by this platform's software!

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'm not certain what it is you would like the Admin to do for you? We all have our anger issues and pet peeves. Which reminds me, when you say "Mr. Suop" I think you mean Mr Suzor?

6. Yashichi

Yashichi Member

Thank you, Sophocles, for making me/us aware of my very careless mistake with regard to Mr. Suzor's name. Luckily this platform's software allowed me to edit all the mistakes above and I'll go correct the mistake in my index file where that error originated, although I should still have spotted it. Again, thank you.

And as it seems from your earlier post that we are allowed to place a link to a pdf download and you, Sophocles, feels it is a good idea I'll place another link here, as yours expired, Sophocles.

The Role Of The Rule Of Law In Virtual Communities