1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Run Linux (Fedora Core 5) on your PS3.....Read this to learn how

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by ToxicFish, Nov 21, 2006.

1. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

This link will take you directly to the guide on the next page: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/424271/2576887

I don't have much information on it right now, but basically I followed all the steps that Sony laid out on how to set up Fedora. No real hack here...

I would give everyone a how-to, but there is no real need. Some backround in linux is definately helpful though. The process took me about 3 hours, no joke. The instructions are available here: http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/manual.html

You do need the distro for fedora and that is like over 3GB, so you will need a broadband connection (a good friend in my case) and a DVD burner. I'll give details and pictures in the morning... It's almost 3:30 am over here and I'm pretty beat. So far though, this is a great start for me. I'm going to kinkos to print out my linux bible as soon as I wake up so I can brush up on my Fedora.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  2. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

Okay im missing the boat here..What is it your doing Toxicfish?

3. sniper78

sniper78 Regular member

What is Fedora I have been hearing u can hack with it. But it's put out by $ony?

4. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

Ok, sorry this took me a while to get back to you guys... Basically Sony has an option where you can boot another OS. All I did is installed the other OS. The information for the install is available off of the Sony site: http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/manual.html

You need a few things before you get started though:
    OtherOS Installer by Sony 1.3MB<-----Off sony site
    PS3 Linux Addon CD 41.77 MB<---------Search for it on your own
    Fedora Core 5 PPC image (DVD) 3.4GB<---Please use torrent sites and seed

On the linux addon cd all the installation instructions are there.

I will come back later with pictures and stuff. If you do not know how to use linux, this information is useless to you. Basically you are going to run a version of linux on your PS3. If you don't know how to use linux this would be a good way for you to learn. Start downloading these items ASAP so you guys will be ready.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

what's the point of putting linux on the ps3, though?

6. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Well for one when someone who knows what they are doing in Linux there are possibilities that you can hack it so you can add a bigger HD and then backup games to it...it's just a matter of time.

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

that's all i wanted to hear ^.^

8. ashj

ashj Regular member

9. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

Lets stick to the topic here...

Can we have a show of hands of whom's started downloading the items listed and how much time you have left. I want to start building on what I know with other people and I will walk you through when you're ready.

10. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

i just started the torrent now so i expect to be done by tommorow or the day after. just want to confirm if im dl'ing the right file; is fedora core 5 final bordeaux dvd fine??

p.s. im a complete linux noob so could you make the guide as simplified as possible??

one more q; how does your ps3 boot?? do you get an option to choose your os on boot or do you have to boot from the xmb??

11. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

Yeah, bordeaux is what you're looking for.

My friends are gaming on my PS3 so I can't tell you the exact names of where to go to, but I'll give you the gist of what you should expect...

Once you have finished all the installing and updating BS pretty much you will go into the settings menu and select OtherOS instead of PS3. It actually says that. It will boot linux in our case until you enter the command that tells it to run the PS3 OS instead.

You will be a long ways away till you can do this though.

First of all you are going to need to update your PS3. You are probably going to need a long network cable to do this.

1)Connect to the internet
    2)Update your firmware (Current version is 1.10)
    3)Use PS3 format utility for to partition for OtherOS

After these steps, then you can actually install the OS. It took me 2 hours to do the complete install. We'll talk about this when your downloads are done :)

Select OtherOS boot and It'll do it's thing.

Pretty much it will stay in OtherOS boot until you type in the linux command to return to the Playstation OS.

12. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

why hasvnt someoneone done this with osx?

and do you need to put the installer on the same disk as the os, or do you run the installer file then put in the os disk separately?

13. Oner

I have the correct Fedora already burned out and all the additional stuff but I thinkk I am going to wait for another distro to come out. I know YD is coming out soon but I am looking for one that is pretty simple and similar to Knoppix. Hell I would love to imagine one day where you could boot Linux Distros off a Disc like I do with Knoppix, no instalation hassles and you could still "save" (lol) and work within the environment as if it was running off the HD

14. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

@oner
    i cannot believe you use knoppix. i'f i were you, use kanotix. its knoppix on steroids, and comes integrated with ntfs support. i use it to recover my pc when things go wrong. my only problem is you need too much ram to use live os's, i only have 768mb. no burning is possible for me for large files.
    http://kanotix.com/module-Downloads.html

15. Oner

@anubis66 Just finished DL'ing it gonna burn it out and mess with it later.

Hey Toxic could you tell me exactly how much space Fedora is using when it is FULLY installed. I want to know so I can partition my PS3's HD accordingly, since I got a 20 gig (a 60 is hopefully gonna be in my possesion soon but I still want to do the 20 gig). Thanx for any info.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  16. face123

face123 Regular member

So its like hd loader for the ps3 almost?

17. Oner

No, it is just a Linux Operating System like WindowsXP but runs side by side with the Sony XMB OS or "dashboard". I was just speculating as to what the possibilities are in the future...although supposedely someone has made an ISO of Madden, so as I said it is just a matter of time!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  18. face123

face123 Regular member

A matter of time until you can save games onto the hd? But yeah I understand what your saying now.....

19. Oner

You can save games to the HD as an ISO (supposedely) right now, but there is no way of booting them yet. They are also saying the information on the discs is very similar to the way the PSP file structure is.

20. face123

face123 Regular member

Ah I get it that pretty cool since they have already found a way of saving them. Now all they need to do is find a way to boot them! Hopefully that day comes and comes fast.