1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Run Linux (Fedora Core 5) on your PS3.....Read this to learn how

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by ToxicFish, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Whoopa

Whoopa Member

Ive been trying to install fedora onto my ps3 for about a week now but nothing I try seems to work and I cant find anybody with the same problem as me.

I have successfully partitioned the hard drive and got the otheros.bld file running fine but when I come to run the fedora installation disk (that I have burned from the ppc dvd iso) it does not recognise the disk as an installation disk.

It says "VSU Not found - Not FC installation disk" (ish I dont have it on screen and cant remember)

I have tried burning the iso files with nero 6 and easy dvd maker and got the same error.
    I have tried fedora core 5, 6, 7, and 8 but I get the same message with each attempt.
    I have tried downloading the iso files via torrents and http direct from the site in the hope that I just had a corrupt iso file but nothing I do is making any difference.

I'm really starting to get annoyed with it now and any help will be much appreciated.

2. kaly28

kaly28 Member

3. kaly28

kaly28 Member

when you install FC5 on ps3 make sure you het the FC5 ppc DVD version IS..it does not work on CD or USB..burn it on a slow speed
    get the addon disc for fc5 and burn it on a slow speed....once you find the reboot and you installed it..on the kiboot command ...type "install-fc sda"..the same command is for FC6 as well...insert the FC5 DVD in it and it will take 2 hrs on a full install which you have to type 2.....FC5 DVD will eject..insert the addon disc, after completion that will eject as well and now you are running on linux.....make sure you create yuor own password...then type "root"...after that type your password and then type "startx" and you are done.......it will only work on the ppc version iso dvd

4. kaly28

kaly28 Member

as far as i know..u cant..it has to be on a dvd not a cd or usb....and it has to be on a ppc

5. bbskunk

bbskunk Member

Hi All, I keep getting this problem aswell, has anyone else got a solution to this??

6. Footie979

Footie979 Member

Great guide. I have a question about backing up/formatting. I backed up my PS3 as an image to a USB HDD using the backup utility. Then I formatted the PS3 and made the Other OS partition. I restored from the USB back to the PS3 and now it's only one PS3 partition again, so I guess it did a quick format of the whole internal HDD.

Is there no way around this? You have to partition and then start from scratch with no demos? I know you can transfer saves easily with a thumb drive. I'd rather not download the demos again. I also have the PSN version of Warhawk, so I don't want to waste a re-download (don't you only get five re-downloads after you purchase a game?).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  7. neo842

neo842 Regular member

fedora on a ps3 really I tried to put it on a laptop. it was crazy barely worked. using linux mint now and its a beast

8. vmax76

vmax76 Member

i got fedora installed, but i'm stuck at login prompt. i used "root" for the login...but what do i type for password?? i don't recall setting one during install

9. Ps3helper

Ps3helper Member

i have read all or most of the comments for this topic and i thought i would help and add a few things i found out myself.

you need to do a full install of FC-5-ppc-DVD.iso at the kboot type this

install-fc sda

press y to contine

if you dont do a full install after booting into fedora/login when you try startx it wont find the command so make sure you do full install.....after a while 2 hours or more the disk will eject...at this point put in you addon cd then press y to contine

At the UNIX password entry make sure you use a 6 letter password no less or things get ugly for an example.....>garden after typing this twice the addon disk will eject after installing, take out the disk

type reboot

then just wait for it to load

if you get a gui box come up after fedora welcome message just exit it for now

the login screen will load

localhost:login

you user name will be (root <... dont add the BRACKET
    then type your password (garden <... dont add the BRACKET

you should then be promted by a new line

at this point type (startx <....<... dont add the BRACKET

your fedora should now load wohoo!

if like me your using a 1080p telly and want to change resolution, before starting the gui for fedora type ps3videomode -v 10 for very high rez

enjoy hope this helps someone out there !