1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Run Linux (Fedora Core 5) on your PS3.....Read this to learn how

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by ToxicFish, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Sumone157

Sumone157 Regular member

Can anyone post any screen shots of there PS# with lunix on it?

Thanks in advance

2. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

I am installing FC5 right now on my PS3 when I am done I will try to post some pics.

**Edit- ToxicFish I made this a sticky and changed the title to fit better**

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  3. face123

face123 Regular member

Oh cool, hopefully there wont be any problems.... Lokking forward to the pcitures.....

4. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

Yeah get me them pictures because im new at this but im willing to give it a try.

5. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

Ok, sorry I took so long to get back to the forums... The holidays have been hell on my side. I'm working on some pics right now so bear with me for a few hours. I am going to do a fresh install and take pictures and everything. These should be ready by the morning. :)

6. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

Okay thxs Toxic im looking forward to them but im still working on the Fedora download im only at 58%

7. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

Okay guys but correct me if im wrong but you can put the ISO on your HD using this method but what good is it if there is no way to BOOT the game up.Did i read it right.

8. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

does the file need to be burned onto the cd with the os on it or onto a different cd? can i put the installer on a memory stick and then put an os in the drive?

9. ps357

ps357 Guest

i thought blue-ray ps3 games can fit about 50gb worth of data on it, what is the point of backing up just 1 or 2 games on a hard drive, like a 60gb hard drive. i havent seen a hard drive bigger than 120GB for laptops,(whats the largest laptop hard drive size availabe now?) and assuming each game is 20GB then that fits about 6 games. on ps2 each game averages like 3GB and the HDD is worthwile. so i was wondering since the big harddrives are the ones for the ps2 how can i connect them to the ps3? do i need to only use a USB hdd and if so how do i connect it?

10. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

Welcome to my easy to follow guide to installing Linux on your PS3. I would like to thank my good friend Xenobiologista for lending me his expertise on the project as well as lending me his broadband connection ;) EVERYONE ENJOY!

Well I know you guys have been waiting a long time, but here it is...

Ok, first things that you will need:
    1)Broadband Internet Connection(recommended)
    2)USB Flash Drive(recommended) or other removable media
    3)DVD Burner
    4)Blank DVD-Rs(recommended)
    5)Blank CDs
    ***Software***
    6)OtherOS Installer by Sony 1.3MB<-----Off of Sony site
    7)Fedora Core 5 PPC image (DVD) 3.4GB<---Please use torrent sites and seed
    8)PS3 Linux Addon CD 41.77 MB<---------Search for it on your own

Step 1 Preparation
    We need to begin by burning your files onto blank media. I recommend using DVD Decrypter even though it is no longer available... DVD Decrypter does a great job because it is simple to use and it allows for burning of image files to both CD and DVD media. Any app will work fine, for example Nero, just burn your images at the lowest speed possible. The slower the burn, the easier and faster your PS3 will be able to read your burns.
    1.1) Preping OtherOS file //With your PC of course
    ___1.11) Get the "OtherOS Installer" by Sony and rename it otheros.self
    Note: In Windows, the "Hide extensions for known file types" box must be unchecked in the "View" tab in "Folder Options". If you don't know how to do this... Man, ask somewhere else...
    ___1.12) Create folder in the root directory of USB Flash Drive and name it "PS3"
    ___1.13) Create folder in "PS3" folder and name it "otheros"
    ___1.14) Place otheros.self file renamed in step 1 into "otheros" folder from step 3

1.2) Burn Fedora Core 5 PPC image to DVD
    1.3) Burn PS3 Linux Addon to CD

Step 2 Update PS3 firmware
    Assuming that you already have these file, you now need to update your PS3. Before you can use Sony's OtherOS Installer, you need to update your PS3's firmware to the most current version available. This can be done in more than one way. Here are the methods available.
    2.11) Download this file on your own and install via removable media
    2.12) Connect to the internet via network cable
    2.13) Connect to the internet via wi-fi

For those of which that do not know how to configure your internet settings for steps 2.12 and 2.13, RTFM... The PS3 firmware is easily found if you google "PS3 Firmware Update." As of the writing the most current available is v1.10. I found some that were not from the Sony site, these will work fine.

Step 3 Create a Linux partition.
    Ok there are a lot of steps on this part of the install, but it is pretty straight forward. Use your common sence if all else fails.
    3.1) PS3 Format Utility
    ___3.11) Navigate in the GameOS menu to Settings -> System Settings
    ___3.12) Select "Format Utility" and within its submenu select "Format Hard Disk".
    ___3.13) Select "Yes" for Disk Format
    ___3.14) Select "Yes" again for the "are you sure you want to continue?"
    Note: Be sure you have backed up your game saves before this step or else they will be lost. You should know how to do this on your own.

3.2) Create Linux Partition
    ___3.21) For partition setting select "Custom"
    ___3.22) In partition setting select "Allot 10GB to the Other OS" //format will begin on its own
    ___3.23) After partition has been created hit "X" to restart
    [​IMG]

Step 4 Install Kboot
    4.1) Plug your USB Flash drive that you prepaired in step 1.1 if you have not already done so.
    4.2) Install Other OS
    ___4.21) In the GameOS, Navigate back to Settings -> System Settings and select "Install Other OS"
    ___4.22) The PS3 will automatically find the otheros.self file. Select "OK" once detected
    ___4.23) Select "X" to start the installation
    ___4.24) Start Other OS Installation
    ___4.25) You will be asked to connect your USB cable to your wireless controller. Do so now.
    ___4.26) Accept Licence Agreement. After this step, the Other OS install is complete. Select "O" to go back to the "System Settings" menu.

4.3) Set new Default OS
    ___4.31) Open "Default System" menu
    ___4.32) Select "OtherOS" as default system

4.4) Restart PS3 :)
    Note: If you have not already done so, now is a good time to connect your USB keyboard and mouse.
    [​IMG]

Step 5 Install Fedora Core 5 on your PS3
    You may freak out in this part of the installation because the process is not as fast or fluidic as beforehand. Let the PS3 do its thing. Just like that old Campbells soup commercial says: "Good food takes time."

Once you restart the Linux boot loader will run. Type in all commands exactly as shown in quotes.

5.1) DVD install
    ___5.11) Wait till you see "kboot:" at the bottom of the screen. Type in "install-fc sda"
    ___5.12) You will be prompted to insert the Fedora Core 5 DVD. Do so and enter "y" to continue. Wait...
    ___5.13) You can choose between a minimum and full install. The choice is yours, but I chose full to be sure I would have a GUI.
    ___5.14) Select "y" for the all data removed question. Fedora will begin to install. Get ready to wait about 2 hours. For real...

5.2) Addon package install
    ___5.21) You will be prompted to insert the Linux Addon CD. Do so and enter "y" to continue.
    ___5.22) Enter your UNIX password. DO NOT FORGET THIS PASSWORD.
    ___5.23) You can choose to power down or start Linux from here. Type "reboot" to start Linux and "halt" to power down.
    [​IMG]

Step 6 Configure and run Linux
    6.1) If you have interest in configuring the Setup Agent, do so, but it is not nessassary. The Setup Agent is pretty easy to navigate, so i won't even bother explaining it.
    6.2) Login to Fedora
    ___6.21) When you are greated with "localhost login:" type in "root" as your login name. This can be changed later.
    ___6.22) Enter your UNIX password that I told you to remember.
    Note: "[root@localhost ~]#" <--- this is what you worked hours for :)... You are now running Linux!!!
    [​IMG]

*************END OF GUIDE*************
    [​IMG]

I still have some brushing up to do with Linux, but here are some basic commands to get you guys started.

To start up the GUI: startx
    To restart in GameOS: boot-game-os
    To shutdown: halt

If anyone would has suggestions for other basic commands please let me know and I'll up date this guide with them. I will make a seperate guide for commands on mounting devices.

If there are any English majors in the house and you see a grammatical error or you thought of a way to ease in readablity, please PM me with your suggestions :)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  11. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Hey, anyone know how to make a "shortcut" on the desktop that will execute a command in bash? Basically what I am trying to do is have the bash command to boot-game-os from an Icon instead of having to open up terminal and type it out everytime. My Linux knowledge is minimal and I have tried a couple ways but can't seem to get it working. Also any links to Linux commands or Fedora tutorials would be helpful too. Thanx for any info.

I will start to remove replies that have nothing to do with why I stickied this

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  12. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

You can drag and drop the Command prompt onto the desktop. You can find it in the Applications pulldown menu. I don't remember what it's called in fedora, but it's not called a command prompt.

13. sniper78

sniper78 Regular member

Can I use fedora core 6 because i cannot find core 5 anywhere well at least the ppc version.

14. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

try torrentspy.com thats where i found mine

15. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

yeah, i was wondering if you could use fedora 6 too. or could someone tell me what gentoo distro would work? i got a ppc64 version and that failed me. now im getting just ppc.

16. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

I think the PS3 runs off of PPC 64bit archetecture. Other OSs that support that archetecture should be able to run (such as OSX). I think the problem lies with Sony's OtherOS installer. The reason i think this is because the installer also installs kboot the Linux boot loader (I may be using the wrong termanology). If this were to be modified, I'm think that another OS could be installed.

The one I'm interested in running is Yellow Dog Linux since it kept coming up in my early research.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  17. Mikechez

Mikechez Member

With a bit more digging into the bootloader you should be able to install almost anything compiled for the ppc64 arch.

A few things to notice on the CELL-Linux-CL_20061110-ADDON.iso "target" directory are these yummy little files.
    kernel-2.6.16-20061108.ppc64.rpm
    These pre-compiled RPMs are a great way to speed up the install.

There are quite a few binaries already distributed that make things so much faster.

Below is an image of the toxicfish-box running the best game ever emulated on a PS3.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.ps3news.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=3547

While its here I can just poke at it more.

18. Mikechez

Mikechez Member

Don't expect this link to solve all your problems but it should get you started on basic operations in Linux.
    http://www.unixguide.net/linux/linuxshortcuts.shtml

You can run this program from within the shell using a simple
    This setup agent can be enabled again if needed by changing the /etc/sysconfig/firstboot file

Hit the "insert" key on the keyboard and it should show "-- INSERT --" on the screen. Modify the file by changing
    into
    hit the "Escape" key and "-- INSERT --" should vanish. Save the file by typing
    Escape and : are very important in this step you should get a nice

when the file is saved to exit use
    and if you want to force an exit because you didn't want to save the file or just want to get out of vi right NOW use a q!
    I'll just put some pictures of it as documentation isn't my strong point.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I disabled the firewall here just because its on my LAN and a firewall will just get in the way.
    [​IMG]

If you feel like turning the firewall on you should check these services off if you expect to use them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

network setup.
    [​IMG]

This is important to fill out if you want to connect it to a network. If you know what to enter on those lines then there is no need to explain more but most will probably want to use DHCP.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

will someone please tell me what gentoo distro can be used? i've tried the ppc64 and it failed. the ppc one i dl'ed was just spare packages. gentoo said it was the first to run on the cell, but why wont it work? maybe the ppc 32bit-64bit userland distro?

20. blacGoku

blacGoku Regular member