1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Run Linux (Fedora Core 5) on your PS3.....Read this to learn how

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by ToxicFish, Nov 21, 2006.

1. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

In the guide, what number are you on? I can better help you if I know what step you are having difficulty with.

2. bilkurd

bilkurd Member

im downloaded Fedora Core 5 Dvd.iso and my ps3 20gb.

i saw this error msg after ( installing fedora Core RPKS. please wait about two hour.
    warning libgcc-4.1.0-3.ppc.rpm : Header V3 DSA signature : NOKEY, Key ID 4f2a6fd2

setup-2.5.49-1.noarch.rpm:not an rpm package(or package manifest) Fedora Core install failed

3. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

Ok, you downloaded the wrong copy of Fedora Core 5.
    Your copy of Fedora probably says something like Fedora_Core_5_Final_Bordeaux_DVD_images_for_i386. If it says anything that has i386 you completely got the wrong version. What we are looking for here is PPC. I will explain this in a bit...
    The files "setup-2.5.49-1.noarch.rpm" and "libgcc-4.1.0-3.ppc.rpm" as I understand are setup files in your installation DVD. If you look in the RPM directory in the DVD you can actually see these files. I will explain what the file names mean...
    The file extension RPM stands for Red Hat Package Manager
    Basically, an RPM is a command line driven system that handels the installing, uninstalling, verifying, querying, and updating computer software packages. So in the guide where you can see it installing multiple files, those I understand are RPMs (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Noarch refers to type of processor architecture your distro is ment for. The package can be installed on any architecture, whether that may be x86, Sparc or Alpha based systems. I suppose that it can be installed in any architecture except PPC (Power PC) which is why it didn't work for you. Which brings us to what we're using..

PPC stands for "Power PC" or according to VERA/Linux Dictionary V 0.16, "Program to Program Communication". This architecture is more commonly associated with last-gen Apple processors. Do you remember how Apple recently moved to Intel processors? Well they used to run on processors manufactured by IBM that used PPC architecture. So in a way, your PS3 is almost a Mac (which is why people want to run a Mac OS on it so badly...).

Back to the topic... So why is your copy of Fedora not installing? You got a completly different version than you were supposed to. It is not even made for the same processor architecture. Honest mistake I'm sure ;). You need to download another copy of Fedora that is ment for PPC. Like I said in an earlier post, search for something that says PPC.

I was wrong when I thought that you would be fine with anything that says "Bordeaux" in the title because there are Bordeaux distros made for i386 architecture as well. Oops...

Sources:
    http://www.rpm.org/
    http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Dictionary/html/index.html

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  4. honda_ek9

honda_ek9 Member

Plus you are downloading and ISO, which is an image file. An image file is when you get a cd/dvd(In most cases) which has multiple files and turn that into one file which keeps the order and placement of the files. If you already know this then I'm sure I'm boring you. You need to burn that to a DVD and get the bootloader for Fedora Core 5. So in other words download it on a pc and use DVD Decrypter to burn the ISO. then "Install OtherOS" and bootloader, set OtherOS to default reboot and put in your disc and find something else to do for a while. I hope this helps

5. bilkurd

bilkurd Member

thanks for help mate :)
    can you give me true Fedora 5 link for PPC plz ?

but not sure i think my fedora for ppc

ftp://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/ppc/iso/FC-5-ppc-DVD.iso

6. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

That looks like the one. How fast are you downloading off of their ftp BTW?

Also, I answered your question in detail so that others who had similar problems could really understand what was going on... Is there anything that you think needs to be clarified? I would like to include your problem in an FAQ I want to make in the future.

EDIT: grammer

7. bilkurd

bilkurd Member

i did download with Download Accelerator Plus (DAP)105kb ms, is that finished in 9hour and im burned with Nero

8. bilkurd

bilkurd Member

may be i need Ps3 System Software Update ? 1.30 available

9. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

Yeah, v1.3 is avaiable already. You are still having problems? Same issue?

10. bilkurd

bilkurd Member

yeah i have still same problem :(

11. Dachno

Dachno Member

I'm stuck at 5.1 of the guide.
    I'm trying to install Fedora Core 5 PPC on my 20GB PS3.
    When I type "install-fc sda" and hit Enter I get:
    "/init: eval: 1: /dev/sr0/:ppc/ppc64/vmlinux-ps3: not found"
    Can someone help me out?
    Thanks

EDIT: I redid otheros.self and otheros.bld in the otheros folder. I think this may have fixed said problem.

12. bilkurd

bilkurd Member

hello again
    ToxicFish can u send me
    ( libgcc-4.1.0-3.ppc.rpm - setup-2.5.49-1.noarch.rpm ) files plz ?
    My MSN and Mail : feza-elektronik@hotmail.com

Thanks

13. Dachno

Dachno Member

Has anyone sucessfully installed a VLC/Media Player Classic/BSPlayer type program on Fedora 5 PPC?

Has anyone sucessfully installed sound drivers?

Thanks

14. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

@bilkurd- you should remove your email because its against the forum rules and you mite get attacked by spammers

15. Jo3Ace

Jo3Ace Guest

Well im stuck in >>>
    ___5.22) Enter your UNIX password. DO NOT FORGET THIS PASSWORD.

It Wont let me type anything when it ask me to change my UNIX password.
    I try using another KB. ( one i use for EQOA Long time ago ).

It would let me type on anything else, but beside anything that ask me for a Password.

Is there and answer to why is this is happening?

And is there a List of Commands you can use on Linux?

16. CHADSR

CHADSR Member

I tried to do the quick install and the full install and at the end when it says insert add on disc before i can even hit y it says install cancelled.Any ideas as to what i might be doing wrong or what is going on?

17. CHADSR

CHADSR Member

I was finally able to login but now i am stuck.I tried to type startx and it says file not found.what do i need to do because all of the commands that i have tried typing do not work.Someone please help me because i am going insane.

18. CHADSR

CHADSR Member

Are there any benefits to downloading the full install over the quick install?

19. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

i finally got componant cables. the picture is nice. im gunna go run linux finally.

20. tayray69

tayray69 Member

Hey all, appreciate the guide a lot. Just wondering if Fedora Core 5 can be installed via multiple CD ISOs instead of 1 dvd ( i do not have a DVD burner)

Thanks for help