1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Run Linux (Fedora Core 5) on your PS3.....Read this to learn how

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by ToxicFish, Nov 21, 2006.

1. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

you have a ps3 and no dvd burner? they are like 30 bucks for a mid grade one. check ebay or something, its 2007.. i am pretty sure cd's should work, but only if the company had a version that ran on cd's and had a bootloader for it.

2. tayray69

tayray69 Member

Thanks for help. I do have a DVD burner but it is not on this computer, as i only use this one for downloading via bitcomet.

3. re2st

re2st Member

I have managed to install Fedora on my PS3, it was quite smooth, although took quite some time (around 3 hours I believe, plus downloading the stuff, total might take one night).

The thing is, everytime I logged in to the GUI, there is this error message pops up: No 'dev/pmu' device found.

I believe it has something to do with the sound card because when I run "Soundcard Detection" I got "No Soundcards were detected". And true enough, when I popped in an audio CD and tried to play it, all I can hear is like some sort of robotic static sound..

Does everyone have their sound working fine on their Linux? Any idea what's wrong with my installation? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh one more thing, I can't play DVD on it? It says "You don't have privilege to mount the image" or something like that everytimeI try to access the DVD drive.

Thanks!

4. stretch87

stretch87 Guest

i'm having a problem with the installation

the problem is with step 4.26
    after i accept the license agreement the screen says "No appricable install data was found (80040103)"

i'm using my 1G ipod shuffle as a flash drive.
    i didn't have any dic in the ps3

i'll redownload the otheros installer from sony and retry. assuming that's no the problem, what is?

5. rnguyen

rnguyen Member

Hey Toxic, I'm just wondering how Yellow Dog Linux 5.0 is working out for you. Is it the better OS between what you were using previously? I know that you upgraded from Fedora, so if I were to install Yellow Dog Linux 5.0, would it be the same process that you had guidelined for Fedora?

6. ferrytran

ferrytran Guest

for the usb flash drive part where you have to put in the "otheros.self", can i use a SD card?

7. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

Hey guys.

This is the fist time since the holidays began that I have gotten a chance to get back to the forums. Sorry if I have looked like I've been ignoring you guys, I've just been very busy. Currently I have been having some issues of my own involving my PS3.

It began as my controller not working, which led to a format...
    Which led to me not being able to install fedora anymore for some reason
    Which led me back to wanting to try YDL

Which led me to making my own all-in-one video cable that supports hd video output so I can run YDL on either an HDTV or computer monitor via VGA connection...

Well I installed fedora at one time but i had to remove it since I have no method of displaying it's higher resolution. I actually have forgotten how to install it, but remember it not being very complicated. Since you have already used the otheros installer and created the partition for the otheros, you can skip those steps.

Once the install for YDL has began, it's pretty simple to use. It even offers to install YDL as a second OS. You can't really do that though since a full install of fedora takes up like 8 gigs or something. Anyways, if you look for a guide, you will find it.

You should be able to use an SD card. Just be sure to make the proper folders in you drive before the install. PS3/otheros/otheros.self I think...

I've done updates using a compact flash card before and I havn't had any problems.

8. streetz08

streetz08 Regular member

I'm trying to download Yellow Dog Linux but cant find any download sources that work. All mirrors seemed to be overloaded by far making mine say page cannot be displayed. Can anybody give me a link that actually works or let me manually connect through bitcomment to download the file.

9. tayray69

tayray69 Member

@ stretch87 I am having the same problem. I am going to try YDL instead, but am I going to have the same problem? I am using my Sandisk 4GB u3 cruiser micro. Any suggestions?

10. streetz08

streetz08 Regular member

How do you exit the OS linux set up to go back to the default PS3 OS so i can play my new game MADDEN 07(I wanna play so badly!)? Since i dont have a keyboard or mouse yet to finish the installation.

I've looked everywere and couldn't find a solution to exiting besides using a keyboard/mouse.

PLEASE HELP!!

11. re2st

re2st Member

Turn the machine off (turn the power switch in the back off if necessary), then press the power button (in the front) for around 10 seconds until you hear beeping sound. it will start up to PS3 normally again

12. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

no

bad

type boot-game-os in the kboot console

13. streetz08

streetz08 Regular member

@annubis66 - WHAT dont you understand! I cant do that unless i have a keyboard witch i dont have!

14. re2st

re2st Member

anubis: he doesn't have keyboard (and btw, what do you mean by "no bad".. )

streetz: read my post above

15. streetz08

streetz08 Regular member

ok thanx im going to try it.

@re2st YESS it works thanx a lot!

-Not to be rude...
    @Creaky can you please suspend anubis66 for posting many stupid answers as a sign of his ignorance.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  16. bigdog2go

bigdog2go Member

Ok I'm new. I got the install to work fine. I have a .img file now how do I play it? Do I have to dump to the other os partition? Formated 10 for other os which left 50gb for ps3. Is there a command to dump to 50gb partition? Wating for newegg to deliver 500gb drive for backup.

thanks!

17. streetz08

streetz08 Regular member

You have to write the iso file onto a dvd by burning it on your dvd burner.

18. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

dont reset to default settings to get the ps3 to boot. that waists so much more time than is nessesary. typing in what i said would have worked and preserver ever last bit of information, but now most of your settings are toast and im sure you redid them.

19. re2st

re2st Member

anubis, if you read his posting, he does NOT have a keyboard. so typing is not an option.

an as far as i'm concerned (and experienced), i have reset my PS3 several time by pressing the power button for a few second, and it gets back to the normal view anyway. if you're talking about all your saved PS3 data lost, well.. as long as you don't reformat the hard drive, it will be there intact, untouched.. :)

20. streetz08

streetz08 Regular member

I didn't have to reset anything, probably because i allready formated my hard drive and my display settings were configured automatically again. To long annubis?? it only took me 10 sec! I DIDN'T HAVE A KEYBOARD WHAT DONT YOU UNDERSTAND!