running programs, needed or unneeded?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by wieland, Jun 19, 2004.

1. wieland

wieland Guest

hi all,
    i'm busy with speeding up my computer. i feel a little progress, but it's not like i want it. 10 minutes ago, i opened the menu CTRL-ALT-DEL (what's the real name of it, actually?) and then i saw the following list;
    -explorer
    -ccapp
    -easykey
    -rundll32
    -sbhc
    -loadqm
    -lxsupmon
    -systray
    -nprotect
    -smc
    -printray
    -mwsoemon
    so these programs are running. this list is obviously shorter than the previous one, but i asked myself if i could make it even shorter. my question; are they programs from this list you know who are unneeded? of course i know, you don't know al these programs, because there different from user to user. but are there some typical spyprograms, viruses in this list, it would be nice if someone could notice.
    (you can ignore my request, i know it's egocentric because there isn't a real problem. but maybe somebody can help.) thanx

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Task manager

explorer critical
    ccapp probably the clonecd sheep drive
    easykey no friggen clue
    rundll32 probably killable
    sbhc soundblaster something, you can probably leave it
    loadqm dunnno
    lxsupmon something to do with a lexmark printer/scanner?
    systray leave this
    nprotect leave this
    smc wireless internet monitor?
    printray leave this
    mwsoemon cant reemember what this is

3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

wieland don't kill anything via task manager.
    Try Programs>Administrative Tools>Services
    http://www.grc.com
    He has little utils to disable messenger, dcom, upnp etc.
    Spybot S&D
    http://security.kolla.de/
    Has a startup list analyser built in, very interesting comments from expert "Paul Collins Startup List" on everything your OS is starting...
    Not to mention Spy cleaning, and browser and OS immunizations.
    L8R

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

For your info: ===>: The MWSOEMON.EXE process will run at startup and stay resident in the background. It's called an Email plug and is a component of the WebSearch Toolbar that you probably picked up in your surfing of the web !~~smiles~~
    You should remove it as follows: manually by running Regedit and find MWSOEMON and delete the key.

Restart computer and Find/Delete MWSOEMON.EXE.

Of course , If you do want to REMOVE it. Some people find it useful .

5. wieland

wieland Guest

that websearch toolbar is correct; :-s. and honestly: i hate him/her. but my sisters just go crazy with excitement when they see al these usefull(?) smileys, cursors,... on the toolbar.
    anyway, thanx al for your help, i think these programs are all quite needed (lxsupmon is indeed a lexmark printer/easykey is a program for our shortcuts/smc is indeed a wireless internet monitor) so after all, i think this list can't be shorten, exept for that rundll32 and loadqm, i'll try them.
    thank you!

6. buitre

buitre Member

7. rayvenn01

rayvenn01 Guest

to make your OS start faster, do this: goto "START" "RUN" type in "MSCONFIG"; "OK", goto the tab that says "STARTUP" (take note of what boxes already have check marks in them), you can "DISABLE ALL", BUT you want to leave you ANTIVIRUS (ie...Symantec, or Macafee) CHECKED....
    any questions email me at rayvenn01@hotmail.com

8. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Rayvenn don't post your EMail address :-(
    You are assuming wieland's OS supports msconfig.
    Do you feel your suggestions are an improvement on my post of June 19?
    Spybot S&D is still the best way to look into your startup situation; and it is free.
    Anyone reading: do not disable all (except for antivirus) unless you wish to muck up your PC real bad.
    L8R

9. rayvenn01

rayvenn01 Guest

To dear OLD "The_OGS",
    just to let you know, i have been running my current PC that way for the past year or so, i have never had any problems. So... you give your input, ill give mine. AND why not post my email address, i have nothing to fear, Do You ?!? Actuclly SpyBot Search and Destroy is not the best way to to look into your startup situation, Where did you get that Bogas info from?

10. Xian

Xian Regular member

I would be very wary of easykey if that is showing up. It is a known keylogger which will capture every key you type at the computer - passwords or credit card #s for example, and lets others access that info.

11. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

When anyone offers bad advice, like disabling all start-ups so your computer starts faster, it is incumbent on all who know better to correct that.
    It is dangerous input to provide, but yes you are free to provide it...
    If you post your EMail address, robots will send you instructions for penis-enlargement techniques. Be afraid: Be very afraid!
    Is this unclear? Can you give specific information about why it is not a good way, and why it is 'Bogas'?
    Everyone's startup list is different, my friend, depending on what software is installed on their PC.
    I personally have 12 items, and chose to not start 3 of them.
    Did you not see Praetor say 'leave this; leave this; leave this'
    Do you feel you know better than he does, because your PC still runs after 'Disable All'?
    Regards
    (Oh, and I bet your PC is FULL of spyware, hehe :)

12. rayvenn01

rayvenn01 Guest

Again to the Might OLD "THE_OGS"
    Who are you to say i gave bad advice, i feel that YOU gave bad advice...
    Im not afraid to post my email, because i have taken the necessary procations.
    I agree everyones startup list is different, But who, or what makes you and or Praetor god on this matter?
    Why should you be trusted in what you say more than I?
    He or SHE, (they), "wieland" should be doing ALOT more research for theirself.. !!! not just by taking your or my word..
    NO, I do not feel I know better than anyone, I just simply stated what i do know, JUST as you "The_OGS" and "Praetor" have.
    DO you feel you know better than I?
    AND as for your last little comment....My PC is not full of SPYWARE, i do know what and use "SPYWARE SEARCH AND DESTROY", and "ADWARE" spyware and adware removal. I ALSO use SPYWAREBLASTER, Which if you dont know, prevents spyware from being insatlled on your computer as you surf the net.
    ANY OTHER QUESTIONS ?!?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2004
  13. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

What about this...
    (*.exe)
    msmsgs
    svchost
    msnmsgr
    atiptaxx
    SAVScarn
    NAVAPSVC