1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running USB Advance through Swap Magic on One Disk

Discussion in 'PS2' started by meyer_m, May 7, 2005.

1. meyer_m

meyer_m Regular member

Hi,
    I tried this process to achieve the above, credit goes to kimbom.

Hi all,

I am very new in this world, but I got the new PSTwo Slimline Modell SCPH 70004 working with an USB Harddisk together with SWAPMAGIC 3.6 and USB EXTREME and USB Advance. This all without opening the PSTwo Slimline so I still have my warranty.

You need the following:

- USB Case with a Harddisk (I am using a 40 Gb Hitachi)
    - SWAPMAGIC 3.6 disks (you have to buy these because the cd and dvd which you are getting are "stamped". This is for starting up the PSTwo.
    - The tool USB Extreme (You can get it from http://www.ps2nfo.com/usbfaq.html) More info on www.usbextreme.com
    - The tool USB Advance (I found no site for this, but I have got it from the newssites. You can found it at the moment in a.b.cd.image.playstation2. If your server has a good retention time it will still be here. Search on USBadvance cracked.rar. If it is gone send me a PM and I will repost it somewhere in the news sites.)

Steps to follow:

1. Format your Harddisk in NTFS.
    2. Start up USB extreme. Go to the tab Disk Format and reformat the Harddisk. Close the USB Extreme.
    3. Create a directory SWAPMAGIC on the Harddisk.
    4. Burn the USB Advance on a CD using Nero.
    5. Copy the files of the CD to the harddisk in the directory SWAPMAGIC. Rename the *.ELF file to SWAPMAGIC.ELF. This is to make sure that the system starts up and goes to the Harddisk.
    6. Now start the USB Extreme. Go to the games installer tab. Select the correct DVD/CD drive. Select the media type and your USB harddisk. Give the game a name and press start. It could take upto 30 minutes to read the game. When finished press OK.
    Close the USB Extreme programm.
    7. Make sure you disconnect your USB drive properly by stopping it within Windows.
    8. Connect your USB HS to your PSTwo and put the SWAPMAGIC dvd in.
    9. The SWAPMAGIC starts and after it USB Advance starts. Select your game press right and press X when you are on PLAY.

Play a little bit around with it. I got Colin MCRae 3 working now.

Greetz

I tried this process and I couldn't get it to work, it just keeps rebooting up the swap magic screen.
    The only difference is that I am using swap magic 3.2 (or 3.3 I forgot).
    What I need to know is if this is something specific to swap magic 3.6?

2. meyer_m

meyer_m Regular member

Anyone? Just need a quick response.

3. prumao

prumao Member

Hi meyer_m.

I tried the same way as you described and it worked!!!!!! i did not have to swap any disks and dont even have to use magic switch..... thanks a lot for the tip.

I got Moto GP4 and TT SuperBikes (both PAL version) to work with my ps2 using hdd. I tried cabelas dangeraus hunts, but it got stuck at loading screen :(...
    I am going to try coping all my games to hdd and try... i have bunch of original imports, and hate swapping the discs.

4. nash79

nash79 Regular member

Hi prumao,
    I have a modded slimPS2 (which I assume u do too).
    can u explain how u did it, cause when i bood with USB advance it tells me insert USB device!
    Thanks

5. cybrgoof

cybrgoof Guest

How do you get this procedure to work? I tried everything that it says and it just keeps rebooting up the swap magic screen I am using swapmagic 3.6. Is there a certain way you have to copy usbadvance on cd?
    I am using Nero. I get the .cue and .bin files for it but no .elf. I found the .elf file on the net and copied that to the swapmagic folder on the usb hdd as well. Can someone please help me out? It seems like I have been trying this forever.

6. oakraider

oakraider Guest

i have done exactly as meyer stated.......and am succesfully getting to the a=usb advance screen with the games in it. but when i press x, on a game to load, it goes into a black screen for ever. i would appericiate any help...thank you

i'm using an original swap magic 3.6 and slim ps2, and a usb ext. hard disk.

7. Andre_P

Andre_P Guest

I have a QUESTION!! I have a PS2 (SLIM).I just got the maxtor 80GB with a enclosure. And i just orderd a USBExtreme. If you have a SLIM PS2 is that all you need(PS2, HDD, Enclosure, and the USBEXTREME)? Or do you need the mod and Magic Switch(Ghost Switch)?

8. Duvelken

Duvelken Guest

This doesn't work AT ALL

I did everything you said and it won't even get past the swap magic screen

: 4. Burn the USB Advance on a CD using Nero.

I burnt only the .BIN file is that correct? That contains 3 files which i extracted using isobuster into the Swapmagic folder onto my external HDD and i renamed the .ELF file as requested

So i plugged everything in, loaded Swapmagic both DVD and CD version and it never gets to the usb advance screen; even when i use the slide card and put the USD Advance cd in i just burnt

9. warriors

warriors Member

where can i get the usb advance so that i can burn on cd? i cannot find it at all

10. bizzE

bizzE Guest

i tried the same and didnt work. i have sm3.3,is that the problem?

11. meyer_m

meyer_m Regular member

Yeah,
    You have to have 3.6

12. bizzE

bizzE Guest

would you recommend swap magic 3.6 plus or just getting usbextreme? i have everything all setup with the HD and usbadvance but just need the swap magic 3.6 plus. would it be worth the extra $15 for usbextreme?

13. meyer_m

meyer_m Regular member

14. sked_142

sked_142 Member

USB Advance and USB extreme are the exact same thing. If you can't get the USB advance thing to load (for whatever reason) straight from your hard drive, you can at least load it from your cd.
    I don't understand why it won't work for some people, but I seem to have that problem. I think part of people's problem is that some of you are copying the .cue's and .bin's straight to your hard drive...They are just the cd image; you have to burn that to cd using Nero, and then take the files from the cd (there should be 3) and put them in the swap magic folder on your hard drive.

(I am fortunate enough to have a dvd-rom emulator that can read cd images as cd's, so I didn't have to burn it) but I burnt it anyway; having the cd is good for a backup.

15. heat22

heat22 Member

help I have redone everything in usb extreme's usage guide and I still can't get any games to load. I see the games in the list but when I select one and hit start it flashes loading real fast the goes into a scrambled snowy white screen. It does this for all games :( anybody? ideas?

16. bizzE

bizzE Guest

i experimented a week or so ago, i got a few games loaded onto the usb HD, they show up in the usbadvance menu. i tried 2 or 3 games that are supposed to be compatible but they didnt work. 2 got to the menu screens of the games but that was it. im not gonna waste my time anymore.

17. sked_142

sked_142 Member

Wow, you guys got farther than I did...I think it's because so far I'd only put on the newest games, and I found out that most of them aren't supported...yet ;)

I'm going to try Timesplitters: Future Perfect now, since I haven't got any old games...Wish me luck!

18. wharris15

wharris15 Guest

is there anyway to boot usb extreme with usbadvance or do you need both

19. sked_142

sked_142 Member

I'm not sure I follow you...Like I said before, USB Extreme *is* USB Advance, but Advance is the freeware version. They're exactly the same...unless you meant to say Swap Magic, in which case, yes you can load USB Advance with that...

(by the way, as an update to my last post: I did eventually get Swap Magic to load USB Advance... Silly me named the stupid folder and the elf file to "SWAP MAGIC" instead of "SWAPMAGIC"...what a goof ;))

20. warnos16v

warnos16v Member

This works mad...

I have usb extreme and swap magic.. will be taking usb extreme back to the shop ASAP.... there is no need for it now.. hehe. there are a couple of games I am having issues with.. on a whole is works a treat... the only real loading issues is when there are large movie files they tent to skip.. but who cares when u do not need discs anymore..

Last edited: Aug 7, 2005