School Network

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Tanksta, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Tanksta

Tanksta Regular member

Does anyone know any software where I can install on the my computer in school and surf the internet with nothing being filted. The connection is about 100MBps so downloading a games will take seconds

The software that filters it is symantec.

Please help! Thanks in advance

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

You can always use webproxies..... its been awhile since Ive encountered (highschool?) computer networks but they dont JUST use norton whatever. There are a bunch of pretty heavy duty filtering proggies schoolboards use. But you can try webproxies and such first.

Also, anything you can install, they can uninstall. And it will be restricted to just that specific machine only.

If you are talking about univ/college networks then you are out of luck unless you are talking about resnet machines. On campus labs are fairly well locked down.

3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Well thats not totall true if you are at a University. At most Universities that use a Personal login, there are a couple drives available to you. Preaetor you should know this from Waterloo. At Waterloo you have access to three drives. One is your personal profile drive and you are limited to very small amount of space, but you also have access to the Computers C drive and an other single use drive. THe single use drive varrys from University to university, but allows you to install a program or store large files for one single use of the computer. So as soon as you log out, it is wiped clean. This is very benificial to scienctists as you can install science program, do data analysis and then not worry about someone steeling your info as it is refreshed very time. Was also how CS students could install Quake and play with eveyone and game setting were wiped every time. But the amount of space on this drive is also limited. When I was at Waterloo it was 500Mb and became 1Gb when I left. At Toronto it is harder to find the drive but it here is 5Gb. but you Must remeber that it is refreshed every time. so you need to walk around with a USB burner if you want the data.
    All this depends on what country were talking about.

4. Praetor

Not the case anymore Pris' ... they've capped everyone down to 30MBs a pop (since I'm in three faculties i get 90MB) but thats all you get and its network storage at that so its small. No longer do we (officially) have access to the local terminal drives.

5. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I know the N drive (I still have acess to mine :p) is caped off low. But I am pretty sure the other, i think D:/ or T:/ is still available. Try going to the Chem computers C2 178 (I think, accross from Chem lounge) All those systems still should still have multi drive access. What 3 are you a member of?

6. Praetor

1. School of CS, Facualty of MATH and Facualty of ENGINEERING.

2. Ya well I dunno about the D and T drives, my roomie's in science I might ask him about the comps they got us we just got M (math, 30MB), N (Eng, 30 mb) and Q (CS, 30MB). R, and some other drives are all either read only or have like 2MB free on them :p

7. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

There is a school of CS? Do you walk out the door and enter the unemployment line?
    It is very possible in the time I have been away it has changed. I was on Polaris when there and they were just swiching to a new system when I left. So it is possible it is all different now.

8. Praetor

Ya cuz 20,000 people + alumni @ 500MB a person is friggen insane :p Right now they are in the process of phasing out the polaris/nexus systems i think