SD camcorder recommendation please

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by ricster, Jul 12, 2008.

1. ricster

ricster Regular member

I'm trying to decide on an SD camcorder. I'm not interested in something that's only good for internet videos. It's got to look good when burned to DVD and played on a 32" widescreen TV. I'm not even particulary interested in HD. Just want to capture family videos mainly outdoors. It seems that the big problem with these camcorders is low light filming. I will be doing a bit of indoor filming. As long as it's all watchable on a TV and I won't find myself apologising for the quality then I'll be happy. Price can be anything up to around £400. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Get a miniDV tape video camera, then. I have a Sony DCR-HC96, and I connect it to my computer via firewire to capture.

The captured DV-AVI files are excellent quality, and the low light videoing is excellent.

3. ricster

ricster Regular member

Should have said..it has to be flash memory based. I'm done with the complexities of tape now.

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Search the net. You should find something that suits your needs.

5. ricster

ricster Regular member

Thanks...but that's exactly what I've been doing for the last few days. Just wanted somebody here to recommend one.

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I haven't really seen camcorders that are flash based, but I know that I wouldn't have one, just yet.

Good luck to you, and if you find one, let us know how it works out for you.

7. steven66

steven66 Guest

Well I’ve have the Canon FS100 for nearly a week now.I bought it from http://www.checkcost.co.uk/camcorders/c/4354/ .
    Previously I’d had a Sony SR32 camcorder with a 30 GB Hard Disk but looking back it was a bad decision.
    Among Canon Series camcorders they are all identical in quality and set up.. They just differ in memory storage. They all accept SD cards.. Have a look at the above link.
    And read the expert reviews..

8. sandytntn

sandytntn Member

I recently bought the Canon HF100 which uses SDHC and does up to 1080p. This thing has been really fun and so small. So nice to look at clips rather than having to back up tape. If you don't like what you just recorded just delete it. Go to Amazon.com and look up this camcorder. There are like a 100 reviews and see what people said. I originally was going to get another miniDV but once I started reading had to have this. 16GB card holds tons of HD video and you have 4 settings for quality. Go read the reviews, you need a pretty powerful computer to work with the 1080P.
    Sandy

9. Rich48

Rich48 Member

Canon FS100 Flash Memory Camcorder records on SD/SDHC Memory Card. Standard Definition MPEG-2 video.

Sony DCR-SR45/SR65/SR85 can record Standard Definition MPEG-2 video to its built-in Hard Disk Drive or to removable Memory Stick PRO Duo media.

Rich

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I'm lookin to buy a Camcorder & would appreciate a little Advice
    Hear are some that R of interwst 2 me, I like the features which are simple, and most impressed with the price
    http://www.buy.com/prod/svp-hddv-30...er-12mp-max-camera-w/q/loc/111/209680983.html
    http://www.buy.com/prod/svp-t400-bl...er-camera-w-8gb-sdhc/q/loc/111/209680958.html
    http://www.buy.com/prod/svp-t400-bl...o-camcorder-camera-w/q/loc/111/209680951.html
    If anybody has a preference to this type of camcorder,make,model,with features I'm looking 4 something that is very sharp on close-up, & less jitter in Zoom, & will handle 8GB SDHC cards. If possible in the price range of those I've listed or even less expensive. Also I like the fact that they run on AABatt.. Never without power wherever U go