serious display problems

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by ba-zing, May 8, 2004.

1. ba-zing

ba-zing Member

I have a Viewsonic Ultrabrite A90f+ monitor. Not exactly a cheap monitor. The display has always been great until recently my computer that was running xp crashed. I decided to put windows 2000 on it, rather than constantly being pissed of with xp. Now, I like win2k alot better, but the display sucks. In the display settings i only can choose to display 16 colors! And we are talking about an expensive monitor here! how the hell can I correct this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

3. Xian

Xian Regular member

Also check your display drivers for your video card. Just using a standard vga driver will only give you 16 colors. You will need to get the Windows 2000 drivers for your model video card.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Shouldnt be the case with WindowsXP (unless you're running an obscure vid card or one of them fancy CAD/Animation ones) -- I know a lot of people running stock WindowsXP drivers for their video and they dont even know it :p

5. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I think he is triing to run Win2000, why I don`t know I never liked it. But what you said Preator, also applies to Win 2000. I dont think he will have to worry about 16 colours. Alos the link I provided will give the correct complete drivers (IF I got the model number right) if not surf the website and find the proper model number.

6. Xian

Xian Regular member

It depends on the card, especially older ones have trouble in Windows 2000 and default to 16 colors. Try the PCI (not AGP) version of a 3DFX Voodoo 3000 for example. It will only come up in 16 colors unless you install the Windows 2000 video driver for the card - it will not autodetect it and install the appropriate drivers automatically. I suspect something similar is happening here - the installation of 2000 did not properly detect his video card type and didn't install any drivers other than the standard 16 color vga. My niece still has one of the Voodoo 3000 card and had that very thing happen on her PC when Win 2000 first came out and I replaced 98 with 2000. She just has a generic monitor and once the correct video driver, not monitor driver, was installed she had 24 bit color.
    I hadn't ever heard of a monitor requiring a driver just to display more than 16 colors but maybe it's a Viewsonic thing, I haven't had one of their monitors since my old 386. I am currently using an old no name monitor that has no drivers and it displays 24 bit color with no problems with the display type just set to standard monitor type.

Last edited: May 13, 2004