setup or not? p2p site

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Arnold2, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Arnold2

Arnold2 Regular member

I really do not know where this belongs please excuse if not in the correct place.

I would appreciate it if anyone knows about a site called ares and a link from there to softgap.com to download music, movies and other. I was told about this site from someone I know over the phone. i came here to look for this site and what was said about it before going there. I did not find it in my search of Afterdawn site. It just makes me wonder if it is a trap of some kind. Maybe paranoid but I like to call it cautious. I don't want to accidentally do a no no.

Thanks for any information in advance.

arnold2

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If it stinks and it's supposed to be food, don't eat it.

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Ares apparently IS a P2P network although I have never interacted with it (havnt used P2P for over a year). Perhaps people who have used it might comment? :)

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Gave it up just before Kazaa lite went down under the attack from Sharman Networks. There wasn't anything I really wanted that I couldn't reasonably buy or I already owned anyway. The stuff you download on P2Ps are often infected with a virus. I was looking for cooking recipes for my wife when I got nailed by a virus (a worm). It took me a couple of hours to insure that it, was cleaned.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2004
  5. Derr_lol

Derr_lol Member

I love the p2p concept it sure beats recording it off the radio which is what I did before the internet came along, I mean I dont think people should copy things and then sell them to me that is wrong but for personal use it is a great thing, personally I use WinMx v3.31 but you will get viruses from using these file sharing programs, so if your going to use them I recommend running a virus check after every use, check the processes running on your pc and see if there is anything out of the ordinary running on there and if so make sure your virus list is updated and check the latest virus releases and sometimes running the scan is not enough if your going to use these programs make sure you disable your system restore and delete all viruses from your registery.
    A common one is the mslagent which I got several times off of file sharing but dont be fooled you have an mslagent that is suppose to be there so make sure its the virus before you go deleting anything.