Should I get an external hard drive to transfer avi from my hc42?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by dcrfun, Jun 22, 2006.

1. dcrfun

dcrfun Guest

I have been having quality issues transfering avi from my dcr hc42 minidv handycam with an i-link cable. I always lose video quality and it is a lot less smooth after I do the transfer. I want a way to get the tape quality onto to the dvd's. I am accumilating to many tapes and want to re-use them but this is not going to happen if the quality is going to be this bad. I have been considering getting an external hardrive strictly for this purpose and don't know much about them. Is there a difference in speed and quality in diff brands and what size will be good to get? I am running a presario with an amd athlon x 3000+ 2.16GHz and a 512MB / 160GB through windows XP. I am only using the packaged software like winDVD and windows movie maker so any ideas in software would be great too. Thanks in advance.

2. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member

umm, would you plan on putting the i-link (im guessing thats antoher name for firewire) into the external hardrive, because to my knowledge that would not work, you have to use an external program to capture the video.

3. dcrfun

dcrfun Guest

some of the drives come with a firewire port built in, I may just add another drive to my system

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2006
  4. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member

im sorry, i dont understand why you want to buy an external hardrvie?
    Could you please explain this a little more.