1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

slim ps2 and mod chip

Discussion in 'PS2' started by PuFFy, Nov 20, 2006.

1. PuFFy

PuFFy Member

hello all. i am finally gonna break down and buy a mod chip for my sons slim ps2. we've been using swap magic for a while now. I was just wondering if anyone had feedback on the Matrix Infinity GreenDot mod chip. all i can find is compatability charts, (i can see it supports my ver of ps2) but i'm having a hard time finding any practical info on this chip. I guess i'm looking for any pro/cons about this chip, or if anyone would suggest a different chip and why. Thanks.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

ok, i can help with that.
    Pro, it will whoop the pants off of using swap magic
    cons, none

They are one of the 3 best chips out there along with the DMS4 Pro SE
    and Crystal Chip V1.1

the one thing you want to do is decide where you want to go with this modded PS2

for example the DMS4 Pro SE has built in support so you can add a hard drive and play most games from the hard drive rather than the disc. It also has a built in cheat device if you feel like converting cheat codes and entering them, or will work just fine with an AR Max cheat disc.

The Crystal Chip V1.1 (with hacked BIOS available on the net)
    can auto patch the DNAS codes for playing back up discs online without having to go back and manually patch them all.

If you want more technical information on what each chip will do you will find mostly all the features on thema are the same. Most online stores will have those specs. When i link you to the webpages you will see BIOS or Flash downloads. this is what the chips run on and what gives them all their features. Without that they are pretty much useless.
    Matrix Infinity
    http://www.gocybershopping.com/customer/product.php?productid=1474&cat=191&page=1
    http://www.infinitymod.com/cgi-bin/matrix/site.pl?page=chip_infinity

DMS4 Pro (the manual at the bottom for ToxicOS V0.41)
    It runs on ToxisOS which is what gives the chip it's features.
    Do not buy a DMS4 Lite unless you do not want any of the extra's
    http://www.teamtoxic.com.cn/
    http://www.modchipman.com/dms4-se-pro-p-633.html

crystal chip
    http://crystal-chips.com/main/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/lang,en/

the information is just for reference and i am in no way advertising these mod sites as i have never used any of them.

3. PuFFy

PuFFy Member

wow thanks a lot. sucks that there isn't a chip that has all these features in one. I like the DMS4 Pro SE cause it will allow you to use cheats including AR. Is this feature not supported by the Matrix Infinity GreenDot chip? Cheats are very popular here. It's SWEET that the The Crystal Chip V1.1 chip will auto patch the dnas, but my son and his friends rarely play online. Thnks again. Now i just have to decide between the Matrix Infinity GreenDot chip & the DMS4 Pro SE.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

if you have a fat model and want to install a hard drive
    then DMS4 Pro SE would be the best choice
    they should both support cheat discs though.
    But the DMS4 Pro SE has a built in cheat system that is just like having AR Max without using the discs.
    Problem is that you have to get the codes and convert them to raw format to enter them.
    I think you will be happy with either chip.

5. PuFFy

PuFFy Member

thanks a bunch man. you really helped me make an informed decsion. think i'm gonna go with the Matrix Infinity GreenDot mod chip after all, but i feel a lot more comfortable with that choice now. thanks again.

6. leeSandel

leeSandel Member

hey,
    I know how you can play your ps2 slimline without shutting the top down, if this is any help, maybe you could then use swap magic disks without paying for the flip top.
    What is Swap magic?
    Swap magic is simply a boot up disk then you have to insert the copied game without your ps2 slimline detecting you opened the lid so if u want to know how to do it please feel free to e-mail me for instructions lil_sandel@yahoo.co.uk - no spam please
    I will try to reply ASAP
    thanks hope this helps

7. PuFFy

PuFFy Member

I'm just about to order my mod chip, and it occured to me "Does either of these chips allow playback of .avi files like xvid on the slim ps2"? thanks again.

8. KC36330

KC36330 Regular member

the PS2 as a media player is more trouble then it's worth if that's what you're after get an xbox. as for the chip, myself I'd recommend the DMS over the Infinity myself, I've modded more PS2s then you can haul off in a semi and over half of them with the DMS chips. everyone with the DMS is 100% happy with it, those who went with the Matrix are satisfied but allot of them wish they'd of went with the DMS.

just a thought.
    kc

9. 1337_

1337_ Member

Im not too familiar with MI modchips but i fink it has dev mode to boot apps off MC which will enable it to boot SMS.ELF allowing you to play divX/ .avi files.

and as modchip choice I wuld also with KC36330 and choose the DMS4 over MI. your choice.

10. steimy

steimy Active member

i am not sure if a chip will have anything to do with video playback
    that is not really what they are designed for. There are PS2 media players out there that will most likely allow it.
    if not you can just get a video converter like DivxtoDVD
    It is a video converter that will convert the AVI file to either
    and ISO or Video-TS format. Then the PS2 will play it for sure.
    It does take some time to convert it but then any DVD player will be able to play the disc.

Nero can also convert them quite well.