1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

slim ps2 with external usb hdd

Discussion in 'PS2' started by PuFFy, May 6, 2005.

1. JPriest

JPriest Member

so. I had a question about burning my own copy that I downloaded of USB advance. do I only burn the cue file? what about the bin or elf files I see there?

2. meyer_m

meyer_m Regular member

Since it is meant for a 10 year old I would go with the actual copy of USB Extreme. Then he/she doesn't have to deal with swapping in and out disks.

Think of the cue file as a table of contents, it automatically links to all those bin and elf files and gives the correct format. So yes, just burn the cue file, it automatically links to the other files.

3. JPriest

JPriest Member

Thank You. One last thing though about swap magic.
    That's the plan I want to go with. How would I go about doing that? Just copying over the .cue file to the hard drive? I'm assuming swap magic would let me choose to boot it like you said. Or...is it harder than that?

Last edited: May 28, 2005
  4. meyer_m

meyer_m Regular member

I forget the complete process at the moment but I wrote a reply with a tutorial to do what you want to do so if you want to run a search for all posts by me (meyer_m) you should be able to find it.
    Let me know how it goes!

5. JPriest

JPriest Member

Yea I found it easy. Thanks. =) Here's a link if anyone else want's to check it out.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/189177

It would have been very confusing to understand though If I hadn't already done everything there using another tutorial (except for renaming the .elf file, etc.) I'm going out to Starland tomorrow morning to buy magic swap 3.6. I'll let you know if it worked.

6. PuFFy

PuFFy Member

thanks for all the help. forums like this are what i love about the net. i will post another reply once i try this system out....hopefully cheering about how successful i was. ttyl.

7. cybrgoof

cybrgoof Guest

How do you get this procedure to work? I tried everything and nothing seems to work. I tried making the usbadvance cd with Nero. I got the .cue and .bin files on the cd. I am using Swapmagic 3.6 after booting swapmagic I try and boot the usbadvance cd I made but it says not a valid ps2 disc. Can somebody please help me out with this?

8. meyer_m

meyer_m Regular member

You need to mod the ps2 with either a modchip or another modding procedure to keep the PS2 from knowing the tray opened. If you have a slim PS2 I recommend magic switch or ghost switch. If you have a thick PS2 I recommend the slide tray (think that's what it's called) mod. The problem you're having is that the PS2 knows that the drive is open and therfore resets the PS2. Just get one of these mods (they're cheap) and then you should be smooth sailing after that.
    Let me know how it goes!

9. cybrgoof

cybrgoof Guest

how about doing it with Running USB Advance through Swap Magic on One Disk that you posted? I also tried it that way and nothing. Cay you please read my problem that I posted there and get back to me?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2005
  10. JPriest

JPriest Member

Well sorry it took so long to post my success story but I just got back from camping. Ok so I got home today and popped in magic swap 3.6 and hooked up my 200GB external hdd. It's a Maxtor Onetouch II if anyone is interested. It loaded MS real quick and immediately after it loaded up USB advance. I have 5 games on there right now. The Punisher, Manhunt, Prince of Persia:sand of time, XIII: Thirteen, and Fight Club. I've only tried to load three of them. Manhunt worked beautifully. It takes a moment for it to show up on the tv and the CG movies are choppy like everyone complains about but the game itself runs smooth. One complaint about it though. Whenever I tried to skip the CG movies by pressing X it seemed to freeze and the blue "read" light on my HD stopped blinking. Next up was Fight Club. The TV went black and nothing happened. Third try was Prince if Persia. the tv went to the load screen and it said "loading" in the bottom right hand corner for a moment and then the TV went black and nothing happened. so..right now 1/3 successful attempts. But That's worth the trouble for me. I'm sure it'll get better as more people try to fix things. I'm loading more games now and will try to post a list of games I have working soon.
    Oh...by the way. I'd rather not go back and check but I think the person above this post was saying something about it not working for him. here's a shorter set of instructions as I remember them off the top of my mind.
    step 1) format your hard drive using windows. NTFS not FAT32.
    step 2) reformat using USB Extreme tools available to download from their site. I used the DOS tools instead of the windows client. choose whichever but I remeber reading something somewhere about the windows client having limitations...so if you end up using DOS..and you want some clarification on that read on after I finish these steps. By the way, when you reformat the hard drive it reformats it in Fat32.
    step 3)use whichever tools you choose (DOS or windows client) to install games on your Hard Drive. Again if you want clarification on how to use DOS read on after this.
    step 4) Create a folder on your hard drive called MAGICSWAP (I don't know if not using capitals makes a difference. Use all caps.) and within the MAGICSWAP folder copy your .Bin .Cue and .ELF files. If you need those files feel free to IM me on AIM at aa3uriel or email me at misfituriel@cox.net. I don't check my email too often but I'll respond. Once you copy those three files into the MAGICSWAP folder on your hard drive then rename the .ELF file to MAGICSWAP.ELF
    step 5) Make sure to click on the "safely remove drive" or whatever it's called icon near the clock in windows to safely disconnect the hard drive.
    step 6) Hook up the hard drive to your PS2. power it up, put in the DVD disc of magic swap 3.6 into your PS2 and let it load.
    step 7) Ta-Da. It should work. Sorry if this wasn't any better in explaining it. I tried...

**DOS tools**
    there are two tools you download. UL_FORMAT and UL_INSTALL. duh. obviously to reformat the hard drive and install the games. here's the deal. you only use the format tool once. before you install any games...after you format the hard drive in NTFS using windows...go to start>run and type in command. a command window will pop up. where ever your little blinking bar is type in "cd\" without the quotation marks and it'll go to the root of the drive. Make sure that whatever letter drive that it shows is the same hard drive you downloaded those DOS tools to. Mine for example is F:\> but it usually is C:\>....ok so once you're there just type in the name of the tool, a space, and the letter of the hard drive you're hooking up to the ps2. EXAMPLE: my PS2 HDD is lettered "G" so at the F:\> I type in.....F:\>UL_FORMAT G.......and then it will format it. It will say OK when it's done. As soon as it's done you can begin to install games.
    When installing games you make sure you're at the root of the drive where the tools are installed again (EX: C:\>, F:\>, etc.) and you type in the name of the tool followed by a space, the letter of the source drive you're reading the game from, space, and the letter of the place where you're copying it, space, the name of the game, space and the formatof the disc (DVD or CD). EXAMPLE: I want to copy the game Fight Club onto the hard drive which is letter "G". The game is a DVD disc and my DVD-Rom drive is letter "D:" this is what I type.....F:\>UL_INSTALL D G Fight Club DVD....and it'll copy it.
    The End.

I really don't know why I wasted my time writting all that -_-.
    It better help someone out.
    If you want the links to where I got all of MY information from here they are.
    http://www.hdadvance.com/usb_extreme_how-to-use.htm
    That one will show you how to use the tools and to learn how to use magic swap to load USB advance off your hard drive instead of buying USB Extreme check the link in my previous post. It's all summerized above though.....*phew* Done. I think. Thanks again to everyone who helped me in this forum. I'm up and running now. I'd be glad to help someone else. =)

11. luisfeliz

luisfeliz Member

hi i have a slim console and i want to know if i buy a usb extreme do i have to purchase the ghost switch or magic switch or i just can buy the flip top that come along with the swap magic and have the usb extreme with usb hdd enclosure

12. JPriest

JPriest Member

IF you BUY usb EXTREME than that's all you need...aside from a USB harddrive. If you already have magic swap 3.6 or plan on getting it you can use usb ADVANCE (same as usb extreme only free) and that's all you need. aside from a hard drive a little time to learn from your mistakes ^.^ Read all about it above.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  13. meyer_m

meyer_m Regular member

This is only true if your console is already modded.

In response to luisfeliz:
    Yes, you do need a mod and yes, your flip top is another method that can substitute the magic switch.

14. JPriest

JPriest Member

I am really not trying to sound like a smart ass. Please don't take it that way. I have a V12 slim PS2 that is completely unmodded and all I do is pop in the dvd disc of magic swap 3.6 and it loads usb extreme off of my USB hard drive and then I load my games. So either I have a magic ps2 or someone is wrong....once again...not trying to sound like a smartass. =)

15. meyer_m

meyer_m Regular member

ahhh, I see what happened.
    You were referring to the tutorial on the second page that booted USB Advance off of the hard drive using Swap Magic while I was referring to the process at the top of the first page.
    Our bad, and I wasn't trying to make you seem like a moron.

16. JPriest

JPriest Member

Hey...I've tried searching for a thread that had this but I'm sure you all understand it's impossible to do that without hours of spare time to look for it. That's something I don't really have...
    So. Has anyone come across a list of successfully backed up ps2 games using USB Advance? I've held off on putting my GT4 and Mercenaries on my hard drive because, if I remember correctly, I read there were problems with the size of the games or something. So any links to threads with Lists of working/non-working games on usb advance and any links to threads pertaining to patches for the games or how to get them to work would be cool. Thanks

17. meyer_m

meyer_m Regular member

A lot of games will run the gameplay just fine, the movies however are slow, choppy, and will wind up making you skip them. There really is no true list of runnable games because different people have different results. The only thing to ensure the best possible performance is to get a high rpm hard drive with a large memory cache.

18. PuFFy

PuFFy Member

ok I wanted to post another success story. I have a slim ps2 with 160g hdd and usb encolosure. I purchased usb extreme, and I followed the instructions to format my hdd and back up games. I have successfully backed up several games, but only a couple have actually worked using usb extreme. Many others have previously posted similar compatability problems (the only real downside i've seen with the slim ps2). I was gonna ask if there was a database with a list of games that can be successfully backed up and played using usb extreme, but that question seems to have already been answered in the last post. just in case someone else knows of such a list i will ask anyhow. Is there a database with a list of games that can be successfully backed up and played using usb extreme? thanks to all who responded to this thread. Particularly helpful was the info posted by meyer_m. Thanks.

*edit

I just finished playing the incredibles game from the hdd for the first time. the only 2 drawbacks I see to playing games from external usb hdd (so far) are:

1. when the demo or game intro is playing it's kinda choppy...i assume there is a memory or speed issue when using usb. damn usb.

2. when the game is loading it's easily double the usual load time: ie. when the ps2 is reading from dvd-rom. I have read this in many posts before, but i didn't really understand till now.

However when playing the game off the hdd it seems to play flawlessly.

p.s. One last question. Can external hdd and usb extreme be used in conjunction with "Action Replay"? I doubt it, but I just thought i'd ask.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  19. Molder

Molder Regular member

I guess this will work on a "thick PS2"!

M

20. JPriest

JPriest Member

Anyone have any idea how to back up a 2 disc game? I'm trying to back up Star Ocean: Till the end of time