1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

slim ps2 with external usb hdd

Discussion in 'PS2' started by PuFFy, May 6, 2005.

1. meyer_m

meyer_m Regular member

I would think you would just put one disk on then the other, I'm really not sure because I've never had to try.

2. artik

artik Guest

Hello everybody. Well i had a pair of important questions.

The first one (most important one):

- Does the ps2slim DVD reader, play faster than USB 1.1? Because, there are many comments where people says it's the same, but, i only see complains in speed issues (video and game chopping, freezes, etc) with usbextreme/advance. So... Who is faster?

- Second, is the compatibility list with SwapMagic greater than with USB extreme/advance? If so, i've read Swap magic can't read Double layer dvds. Can usbextreme? If so, loading usbadvance through swapmagic... would limit its capability of loading DL game images (in the hd)?

- Finally, in order to load usbadvance from the HD, i would have to ask: i have only a .bin and a .cue from the file i downloaded both from the link someone put before, and emule. There is not any .ELF as Jpriest was saying (to put it inside the SWAPMAGIC folder).

Because, if i put it in the Memory card, i'd still have to load swap magic, shouldn't I?

Thanks a lot

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2005
  3. nakuha

nakuha Member

since i guess im the only one with the thick ps2 i too need some help well heres my question. I downloaded usb extreme from usbextreme .com and i formated my external harddrive and ive already put amplitude on it but it dosnt seem to work when i connect my external harddrive to my ps2. plz help

many thanks in advance

4. waspisis

waspisis Member

i heard that modding your ps2 will not let you go online. is this true?

5. ChvyGal

ChvyGal Guest

Found this conector on the web last night for IDE HDD's. Its supposed to be faster than the USB connections, google "PSTwo HD Connector" and you'll see what I mean. Would supply the link but not sure its allowed here on the forums. They Look pretty cheaply made right now, but sure theres probably some better made ones around, or should be shortly

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2005
  6. ChvyGal

ChvyGal Guest

I noticed everyone saying they formatted the HD's before loading thier games...was just curious if anyone has tried partitioning out thier HD and if its been successful running off the slim PS2. I have a 300 gig Maxtor onetouch II and I use it to backup my laptop. I really would like to use the same drive for the PS2, but cant afford to lose all the data i have on here. If you partition out the HD basically a computer will see it as 2 different drives, so I'm wondering if the PS2 will also. That way I can set aside half for my PS2 an the rest for my laptop. Anyone tried this yet, or planning on it in the future? Would be grateful for the info.

Thanks!

7. elhefe

elhefe Member

i have the same doubt i use my ext hdd for work, and i cant afford to loose all the data for the Ps2 games... if i create 2 partitions and just format one to the PS2 format will it still work?

8. cheito

cheito Member

Hello

I can't make this to go.

I have a slim woxter usb disk and ps2 with matrix mx4.

I burn usb advance on a cd an when i put it on my ps2, the only thing that happens it's a noise. It seems to recognize the disc, but not the hard disk. It's doesn't make anything.

Can anybody help me?

9. zhoter

zhoter Member

Same here.
    Do we have to format the disk first, to make USB Advance work? Or even without a HD USB Advance will show something like user interface or some text?

10. JPriest

JPriest Member

In response to the last few posts....
    I've toyed with the idea of partitioning my hdd also. I think I have a 250 gb one touch II drive. To tell the truth I haven't even looked at it or bothered with any of this in a long time. I've moved onto other projects once I got it to work and a few backups running. There are a few steps to getting this all to work correctly. If you read an earlier post I made in this thread you'll get step by step instructions. But, I don't think it was possible to parition the hdd at the time I was messing with all that because the tools you downloaded to format the drive and install new games probably wouldn't allow it. Actually, I'm not too sure. And there might be other ways to do it but I never looked into them. I have too many hdds to care about the one touch I bought for the ps2.
    As for cheito's and zhoter's problems...I don't know. I never made a disc. Maybe you didn't burn it correctly, maybe you left files out, maybe your matrix chip just won't read it. I'm not sure. If you read my earlier post you'll notice that I just put the .bin .cue and .elf files directly onto my HDD and used magic swap 3.6
    3.6 is the latest version and can boot directly from external HDDs instead of from discs. if your mod chip supports that then you're good. if not then maybe consider magic swap? Or wait and see if someone else who has burned usb advance to a cd and got it to work helps you out.

11. zhoter

zhoter Member

I use the same method to install key launcher. I even install usb advance to matrix infinity manager. But it just give me blank screen, and no blik from the HD's led.

I just got e-mail from matrix infinity, they 99% sure that I have a fake mod chip. I can't do much about it, since even the store employe where i bought my pstwo dont know what is matrix infinity.

Is it possible that my mod chip successfully does it's job on other program but failed on USB advance?

12. Cractuar

Cractuar Member

I downloaded USB Advance and burned it correctly (the same way as i burn games) with nero, and then I putted it into my PS2. The PS2 recognises the disc(the screen flashes once, as it always does when I put a gamedisc into it) but the screen stays black after this.

I have thick PAL PS2 with neo 2.2 chip wich allows me to run backup cd-r's. I have tried to boot it with both AR Max and Mega Memory original CD's.

My question (as in the quote): Do we need to have the harddrive plugged in to get a user interface with USB Advance?

If not, what's the solution for the "black screen" problem?

13. iatsivou

iatsivou Member

I have the PS2 Slimline (v14) SCPH 75004 PAL. I put the crystal mod-chip 1.1, and i can play now ps1, ps2 original & backup games. I want to play via usb HDD, games that are compatible with USB Advance or USB Extreme.
    I' ve done everything i read in this forum, but i always have the following problem!

I ripped a PS2 game to HDD, compatible with USBAdvance.

When i run USBAdvance in my PS2 is saying something like: "no divice is in USB port". So, when i put the external 80GB Western Digital USB HDD with a game on it, the console recognice it correctly!
    Then, i choose the game installed in my external usb HDD, and i sellect "Start". After that, it tell me "Please wait ... loading title". At that time the USB Advance, the USB HDD, and the consol, are freeze until i reboot the consol.

Why that? Does anyone can help me on that?

Mary Christmas.

14. meyer_m

meyer_m Regular member

You have done nothing wrong, that specific game is incompatable

15. dinesh88

dinesh88 Member

hi, it's a nice hub. Can u plz repeat the steps again because it seems abit difficult for me.

I have the slim ps2.Do I need any chip in addition to the hard drive to play the games. I have to format the harddrive but I didn't understand when u tried to explain about the USB extreme software. DO I need to buy it, isn't it accessable on the net? Acutally what is a magic switch. Thanks in advance

16. PuFFy

PuFFy Member

I own both "usbextreme" and "swap magic with magic switch pro v2". I thought using the usb hdd sounded like a good idea, so i bought usbextreme. After using it for 6 mos i now think it's pretty much crap (game compatability sucks dog nuts, and the load time & demo screens are slow). I bought my son swap magic with magic switch for xmas, and i am much happier. All the games that didn't work with usbextreme work with swap magic. It's a shame that swap magic only supports 4 games at a time from usb hdd, but i'll suffer and manually swap the discs. The only complaint i have is with magic switch. I am ordering a flip top this week to replace magic switch. It's just a wee bit too mickey mouse for me with kids using it and the lid open.

you can order either from www.gocybershop.ca

check out usbextreme game compatability here:
    http://www.xafiers-home.com/ps2/gamelist.php

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  17. spin54

spin54 Member

Hey, I don't know how old this thread is, but I just got into this, and have had some success. I am using SM3.6 and USBExtreme to install games and USBAdvance with my Slim PS2.

I just wanted to say that partitioning your HDD into more than one partition works just fine. I have mine in 2 partitions and use one for the PS2 games and one for computer data.

I put my PS2 games on the first of the 2 partitions. Not sure if that makes a difference, but it does work.

Thought i'd comment.

18. bimbam777

bimbam777 Guest

Meyer_M--
    Could you please give a better link. That one is NTSC.

19. bimbam777

bimbam777 Guest

Meyer_M--
    Could you please give a better link. That one is NTSC.

20. meyer_m

meyer_m Regular member

Hey,
    The sites down right now but I believe you can find it at http://www.sksapps.com
    Since it's down I forget the precise area it's located in (I imagine some sort of 'HD' section) but just browse and you should find it fast. post it here when you grab it.
    Good luck!