1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Bit Torrent downloads? Router configuration tips.

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by CamDog, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Oh, Lordy. Too funny :p

Dakness,

First off, welcome to Afterdawn :)

Posting emails is simply against forum rules, whether you mind spam or not ;)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  2. nags

nags Member

I've followed all the instruction in this thread to a T. I have a Linksys router and I'm not new to port fowarding. I have no firewall turned on right now. I set my computer to a static IP and fowarded the range to that IP. My download speeds have actually DROPPED from like 30k to about 4k. I'm using Bit Comet.

Any suggestions?

3. nags

nags Member

I know switched over to Utorrent and set up the port forwarding for Utorrent as well as the settings shown in this thread and I'm still getting very slow speeds :(

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

I would guess you've enabled Protocol Encryption, are using a port over 10,000 that isn't the default, disabled UPnP and tried enabling DHT on public sites???

5. nags

nags Member

I disabled UPnP and I am using a port over 10,000. I'm not sure how to enable DHT?

6. mistycat

mistycat Active member

At options>preferences>bittorrent, there are 2 DHT options you can enable but private sites want them off.

7. nags

nags Member

Oh, so I want them disabled? Above you mentioned to enable them

8. mistycat

mistycat Active member

If you are using a public site like Isohunt, enable them but on private sites like Torrent Leech where you have to register, disable them.

9. nags

nags Member

I've just tried it both ways and I haven't got more than 20k/s

10. mistycat

mistycat Active member

11. nags

nags Member

Everything looks perfect on ipconfig. My ISP is a smaller local cable company and it's not on the list. I get awesome speeds from everywhere else. It's not out of the ordinary for me to download at 800k-1mb/s

12. mistycat

mistycat Active member

You would get great speeds anywhere else even if torrents were blocked. Don't know then.

13. nags

nags Member

Damn.. These 30kb MAX downloads are getting old :(

14. Joebel

Joebel Member

can someone help me with port-forwarding? whenever I try to log into my router at,192.168.1.1 I get redirected to the change password screen (http://192.168.1.1/chgpw.htm). Everything I click redirects me back to that screen. Any ideas on what to do??

15. nags

nags Member

Have you tried changing the password? Your router might not allow you to do anything untill changing the default password

16. redrowan1

redrowan1 Member

hi im new here and am having slow download speeds with utorrent, i have a netgear router and all i can find about port forwarding on routers internet page is in firewall rules and the information needed is different, for example i dont see anything about port numbers or ranges, and i know very little about computers and dont want to break it. dont know if it matters but im using peerguardian 2 and have norton 360 and im on windows xp but wouldnt know if firewall is on. and i dont know what settings should be regarding prefrences in utorrent.

any help really appreiciated

17. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Go here , find your router and click on it and in the next window, click on utorrent and follow the instructions: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm Check on the static ip address there too, you may need to set one. To find if your Window's firewall is on, go to start>control panel>windows firewall. You will see there if it's on or off and you can elect to monitor another to keep the Security Center quiet. As long as your router contains a firewall, you won't need Window's firewall.

18. redrowan1

redrowan1 Member

thanks for that but i now have another problem. i set up a static IP and i changed the rules and service but now in the bottom of utorrent it shows a yellow triangle saying "no incoming connections unless the icon turns green it could indicate a problem with your network configuration". should my static IP be in both the LAN users section of the outbound services and in the LAN server IP address of the inbound services, because they are and i cant think what should be in there if not them. and utorrent is still downloading while it says no incoming connections just very very slow.

And finally what should i have the settings as for utorrent in the preferences.

thanks again for help.

19. mistycat

mistycat Active member

In utorrent at options>preferences>connection, disable UPnP and at options>preferences>bittorrent, enable Protocol Encryption and "allow incoming legacy connections" but turn off "allow incoming legacy connections" if it doesn't help. You can also enable both DHT options there but only for public sites. Check to make sure this site doesn"t list your ISP: http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs Give the light 10 - 15 minutes to turn green and make sure you forwarded the proper port and ip address and what does speed guide say? If the port shows as open, just wait a bit. Also, don't use the default port and pick one over 10,000.

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  20. acewing

acewing Member

sometimes it depnds on what site you get the torrent from. you can go the bitorrent offical site and get a download that has a high transfer rate, and go to a site like isohunt or the piratebay and get low download speeds. it is good to find a torrent that has alot more seeders that leechers