1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Bit Torrent downloads? Router configuration tips.

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by CamDog, Feb 27, 2004.

1. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

hello, i just recently came across this thread and wanted to try it out. I usually connect with bitlord at about 100Kb on a 5mb cable connection... is that good? If it can be better can u tell me how to adjust my port settings because I am clueless about routers...

On a side note, I usually use limewire but it no longer works. I created a separate thread in here called "limewire startup problems"... If anyone has suggestions about that please post! thank you

my router is a DLINK DI524.. here's a link to the picture of my router settings, but I dont understand the directions:

Thanks!

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

First, dump BitLord, it has Adware and is banned on every private site I'm a member of. Your speed is decent but will be much better with your router forwarded. Your connection speed may be 5 MB but unless you live above a transfer station, I doubt it will be that high and probably even lower after school and on weekends with Cable. Here's a good site that's very accurate and check it at over several days to get an average and to see what upload speed you get: http://www.speedtest.net/ This guide is for utorrent which I recommend you switch to but build 1.6, version 474 and disable automatic update for now at options>preferences>general: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DI-524/Utorrent.htm and utorrent is available here on the right: http://www.filehippo.com/download_utorrent/ Other settings for it are a couple of posts up. A static ip address may or may not be necessary but is easy to set: http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm I don't know about LimeWire but I would uninstall it to and install FrostWire; same developers and interface but better.

3. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

thanks alot for your helpful suggestions mistycat... I've been drunk since thursday (lol) so I haven't had a chance, but tonight or tomorrow I will try out your recommendations and post feedback :)

4. billybob

billybob Regular member

Got anything to back that up? Cause ive been using it for ages. Doesnt demonoid accept it?

5. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Don't know about Demonoid but this from another private site aand others are similar: "May I use any bittorrent client?

Yes, except BitComet and BitLord which are banned from this tracker.
    The tracker now updates the stats correctly for all bittorrent clients. However, we still recommend that you avoid the following clients:

• BitTorrent++,
    • Nova Torrent,
    • TorrentStorm.

These clients do not report correctly to the tracker when cancelling/finishing a torrent session. If you use them then a few MB may not be counted towards the stats near the end, and torrents may still be listed in your profile for some time after you have closed the client.

Also, clients in alpha or beta version should be avoided." If you do a search on Wikipedia for BitLord adware, you will see it does and there have been many other negative posts here at AD and not by me.

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  6. mistycat

mistycat Active member

7. saveuraz

saveuraz Member

I need some help. I opened the ports 6881 through 6889...and my bittorrent even says online, ports open...I cant get a download or upload speed over 10 maybe 20 on a good moment...I use Norton firewall but I allowed connections on all ports for the program. anyone have advice?

8. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Don't use those ports, most ISP's block them. Go for something over 10,000 and unless your client needs a range (BitTornado is one I can think of), 1 port is sufficient. There are also options you can enable depending on your client, which is it?

9. mistycat

mistycat Active member

10. Wylee

Wylee Guest

hello...ive been reading this..and i have no idea how to do this..ive followed the steps but i didnt exacly know what i was doing...im using a Dlink Di 604 router, my xbox and another pc is connected to it..and i use BitLord as my Program for torrents..please help with a step by step guide please..so i dont end up screwin up my internet. and if it matters i live in canada. Thx peace

-Wylee

11. mistycat

mistycat Active member

First, get yourself a new client; there are 2 posts on why about 5 posts back. My personal preference is utorrent 1.6, build 474 with automatic updates disabled but it's your choice: http://www.filehippo.com/download_utorrent/ Set a static address (see above post) in case your router is assigning you a new one each time you start: http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm and then, go here, find your router and click on it, in the next window, find your program, click on it and follow the instructions: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm The 604 is quite easy to set up, the 604+ is actually what I use. That said, what settings did you follow and what ISP are you with, Shaw and Rogers throttle torrents.

12. Wylee

Wylee Guest

i dont know what u mean by what setting did i follow...but im with rogers.

BTw i just downloaded Utorrent but i dont no how to set it up..it should be easy but i want YOU to give me exact detail on how to do it..since u know what ur doing and i dont id rather you tell me exacly what to do.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2007
  13. mistycat

mistycat Active member

14. Wylee

Wylee Guest

00000000000000000000KKKKKKKKK so ur sayin Rogers is limiting my torrent downloads right::: limits BitTorrent bandwidth Rogers, Canada Yes

And i followed the steps that sed to go to my router config page Http://(ip adress) and change some things with numbes like 6881 - 6991 or sumtin like that..it was based on a linksys router..i have a d-link so mine was diff..and all i was able to find was tutorials on linksys routers.

15. mistycat

mistycat Active member

First off, Rogers blocks torrents but on the upload side (I think). Port Forward lists all routers, not just Linksy's, D Link is in the second column. Use 1 port over 10,000 that isn't the default and not those others. In utorrent at options>preferences>general, disable "check for updates. At options>preferences>connection, set your port and disable UPnP port mapping and at options>preferences>bittorrent, enable Protocol Encryption: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/395674 and you can enable both DHT options but only for public trackers like Isohunt. Do a speed test and use your upload speed at speed guide>connection type. Test your speeds over several days to get a good average.

16. Wylee

Wylee Guest

lol i dont know the meaning of ignorant..but i hope im not being it. lol i understood everything u wrote other than

Use 1 port over 10,000 that isn't the default and not those others. In utorrent at options>preferences>general, disable "check for updates. At options>preferences>connection, set your port and disable UPnP port mapping and at options>preferences>bittorrent, enable Protocol Encryption: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/395674 and you can enable both DHT options but only for public trackers like Isohunt. Do a speed test and use your upload speed at speed guide>connection type. Test your speeds over several days to get a good average.

No wonder my status is "newbie" if your not busy...i would REALLY GREATLY and TRULY appreciate it if you could give me those kinda tutorials that show u EXACLY everything...like which way to look, point...click...read...sit...u know what i mean? lol im realy dum when it comes to internet connection stuff. i know i becoming a pain in the neck (or atleast hope not) thanks so much man.. i hope this will be the last reply to this topic that has to do with help. hopefuly the nex reply i give this topic will be a reply of thanks..and thats it. peace and thanks

17. mistycat

mistycat Active member

You mention ports 6881 - 6991 and ISP's can block those, utorrent only needs 1 port, pick one port over 10,000 to use. The options in utorrent can be found at the upper left with speed guide. This a good speedtest site: http://www.speedtest.net/ There is a good tutorial for utorrent on this site (DVDback23 - not sure of capitals). Other than that, not sure what you need or if I know of them.

18. Wylee

Wylee Guest

Do u have msn? i think it will be alot easier to talk through that if u have it..and then u cud show me everything i need to know. (everyhthing i need to know is: How to set up U torrent [or if i can continue using bitlord, what im used to] and how to increase the speed of my downloads, which r going at MAX 5kb/s. the info i have to offer, to the best of my knowlge is: I have a D link Di 604 router, windwos Xp, and no basic knowlege of "ports" or anything to do with internet connection. yes. Im a newbie. :(

19. mistycat

mistycat Active member

No, I don't have msn. You have all the set up I know of for utorrent and I know nothing of BitLord. All I can say is follow the steps I gave you but I don't think they will be much use with Rogers as your ISP.

20. Wylee

Wylee Guest

yup, ive done all the steps u gave me...so now i have bitlord and U torrent....lol..but i dont see any change..ive done everything portfoward sed...and some other tutorials..and i dont see much change so i gess yea..its just rogers.