1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Bit Torrent downloads? Router configuration tips.

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by CamDog, Feb 27, 2004.

1. mistycat

mistycat Active member

You could have a look at this site: http://www.secureix.com/index.shtml I saw it on the Rogers forum in quite a lengthy post but never used it and only know of one person that did. Didn't help him. Apparently, it works for some but not for others and the personal account is free.

2. Wylee

Wylee Guest

thanks...did it, didnt help...thanks for all ur help tho..i gess im just guna have to settle with this

3. frankoman

frankoman Member

Hey,,new to this board..
    I use Vista. Found out that if you put the port number used in
    the router and firewall in the "open rules" for firewall
    utorrent realy moves right along!

when using the ports... select all, i.e. private, local, domain
    I use 49174 and it is always at least 60 kbs
    let me know how it works for you, or if I SPLAINED it wrong.
    thanks.

4. 1vedder

1vedder Member

Hey
    Also new to the board. Have read a great deal of the post here and tried many of the things suggested and still am having speed issues with BitTornado.
    It was fine last week, I was downloading files at an average of 150 kb/s, sometimes breaking 600. I reformatted my drive and reinstalled all the software and now I'm lucky if it gets to 10 kb/s. And I never see a green light anymore.
    I have forwarded the ports in my router page (D-Link604), set up a static IP and set the port range on BitTornado to match. I have installed the patch the fixes the Windows XP half open issue.
    Last night I unplugged teh router and it seems that is part of my problem becasue the download went from 8 up to 65 kb/s.
    Anyone got any suggestions for me?

5. mkeezay

mkeezay Guest

If you want to make torrents download faster you need to limit your amount of connections per torrent.this can be done in utorrent but im not sure what others as utorrent is all i use.In options go to preferences go to bittorrent and set the number of connected peers per torrent to 40-50.This increased my download speed from 10-15 kbs/s to around 100-120 kbs/s.also try limiting upload slots per torrent.

6. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Check that the ip address at ipconfig/all (the guide below shows where it is)is the same as your router is forwarded to; if not, you probably need a static address: http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm Keep your port range over 10,000, too.

7. 1vedder

1vedder Member

mistycat, I followed the instructions at portforward.com to a "T" and it did not improve my dl speed at all. I have my ports set in the 52000 range. I think I'm going to try ├╝torrent tonight and see if I have better luck.

8. mistycat

mistycat Active member

This doesn't help but BitTornado acted exactly the same with me after a year of no problems. It's green light went to yellow to red to black over the course of a couple of weeks totally out of the blue (no reformat, either). utorrent was fine but even it's port test showed the port as closed (wrongly) for a week or two; I don't know what happened but I still think BitTornado is a great client and may try it again sometime. Good luck

9. 1vedder

1vedder Member

so i just finished the switch over to utorrent. took about 2 minutes to install and set up the ports and i'm already hitting speeds of 200. maybe not as fast as some people see but i can live with that.

10. theone3nu

theone3nu Member

hi camdog...... my net is cable broadband... i entered my default gateway address in internet explorer but it showing as page cannot be displayed..... so how to open my ports please please help me to increase my downlad rate....... thanks for advance....

11. mistycat

mistycat Active member

If you have modem, only a couple I ever heard of can be forwarded. If you have a router you can't access. you'll have to contact the manufacturer.

12. theone3nu

theone3nu Member

but my manufacture not saying about that topic...

13. momohak

momohak Member

Hey I tried everything, following the guide step by step, port forwarding, port triggering, and some other stuff, and in the end my downloading speed went down as well as my internet speed, I ended up just undoing everything.

Why is this happening, I noticed it happend to a few other people too, btw I'm using Bittorrent.

14. mistycat

mistycat Active member

15. momohak

momohak Member

No, I'm in Canada and I'm using Cogeco, it does not block them.

16. mistycat

mistycat Active member

If your using a router, ensure it isn't assigning a new ip address. Set it static if it is. Check it at ipconfig/all (nowhere else) and I doubt this will help but worth a shot. Try port 1720, other processes use it.

17. momohak

momohak Member

I did Static IP with all the other stuff and that didn't help.

18. momohak

momohak Member

Sorry for double posting but I forgot to mention that the port 1720 did not make a difference.

19. mistycat

mistycat Active member

The only other suggestion I would have is to try downloading over night to avoid peak times, etc. or maybe a client that supports Protocol Encryption (I'm not familiar with Bittorrent, maybe it does).

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  20. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

hello mistycat and everyone else! thanks for ur suggestions on switching from bitlord, to utorrent and limewire to frostwire... Both changes have worked out well for me so far. Unfortunately, I have had some issues.

I followed all the procedures for port forwarding, and maximizing download speeds from previous threads. It was excellent for a while. I went from 100kb to 450kb immediately! Well that was short lived, because after a week i lost my internet connection for some reason. I fixed my internet by simply resetting my router to factory defaults. (not sure if the internet crash was related to changes I made with port forwarding)...

Anyway, so I waited a few days to make sure my internet was stable again, and tried port forwarding again... no change! my download speeds are still stuck at approx the 100Kb that I started with way back when! what went wrong? Is it possible for my ISP (RCN) to be blocking my speeds???? I dunno, please let me know if you have suggestions. Thanks again!