1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Bit Torrent downloads? Router configuration tips.

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by CamDog, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Keshin

Keshin Member

Hiya. Both PCs are connecting wireless to the router using Linksys speedbooster adapters.

As for forwarding one IP address to one PC and not the other, I'm really not sure. The only setting changes or alterations I have done is on the PC that isn't working correctly.

I connected the PCs to the router using the wireless adapter software. Other than that I haven't changed anything. Its only through bittorrent that I've noticed a problem.

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

On the problem pc, go to start>run, type in cmd and ok it. Now in the next box type in ipconfig/all, select enter and you will see various info including that pc's ip address. Make a note of it and exit out and use that ip address in your router. Setting static ip addresses for both computers isn't hard and may be necessary if your router selects new ones when you restart, check it out but make them different for each pc and pay attention to what the guide says about DNS servers and the Default Gateway being the same: http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

3. retard01

retard01 Member

4. amf2007

amf2007 Member

hey everyone!

1st: this thread's gr8!

2nd: this is the situation..

Connection Type: ADSL (1024Kbps downsteam/256Kpbs upstream)

Router Type: Zhone (wirless + 4 ports)

BT Client: uTorrent

NORMAL Download Rate: 110-130 KB/s

Current Torrent download speed: 35-45 KB/s (average)
    Max. Upload rate set: 15 KB/s

so, My router's page doesnot contain port portforwarding, only port-triggering..

I set it on port no. (55618) , which is currently used by utorrent..

So, 1-what shall I do for a boost?!
    2-what value should I set the upload?!
    3-Is the port no. can affect the speed?!
    4-Is port triggering is the same as port forwarding?!

Gr8 thx for the help, forward!

5. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Port triggering is not the same as port triggering but gives the same result, see here: http://portforward.com/help/porttriggering.htm The port used may make a difference, an ISP can block those ports under 10,000 and any default. Do a speedtest and use your upload speed at options>speed guide>connection type. Pick the speed nearest yours (on the low side) and run the test at various times and days to get a good average, here's a good site or utorrent has one: http://www.speedtest.net/ For an increase in speed, try enabling Protocol Encryption: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/395674 and disabling UPnP at options>preferences>connection.

6. hershy

hershy Member

I. I have been scouring this post for the answer but can't find it. I have a DLink DI-524 router that i just configured. The Trigger Port is 6881-6999 with the Trigger Type as TCP (whatever that means). The public port is 6881-6999 with Public type TCP

In BitTornado, the torrent program I use, these are the port range i am using and UpNp port forwarding is disabled. Please help me get a green symbol and quick speeds again. Below is the relevant part of my ipconfig info (with some info replaced with *** [i know the numbers]):

Thanks

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : *****
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : *********
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.***.***
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 64.71.255.198
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : July 15, 2007 11:46:15 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : July 22, 2007 11:46:15 AM

7. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Here is a guide for your router and BitTornado: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DI-524/BitTornado.htm Use a range over 10,000, 1 port for each download you will have open but be aware you're only sharing your bandwidth with more than 1 download open. It's also quite common for ISP's to block the ports you set and any under 10,000. You also need to set a static ip address: http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm And check this for ISP's that block torrents: http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs

8. oops_iam

oops_iam Member

hey....gud to see such a dedicated forum...

i use my mobile phone to connect to internet...

i'm using Sony Ericsson w550i....

so if i'm using utorrent then how to forward a port....help me how to find the router address ...as i m not able to find router on it....

9. playernba

playernba Guest

will this work if i'm using a computer that get internet from a wireless connection

10. angel45

angel45 Member

Hi. am running on an at&t router and Im using utorrent 1.7.2 my speed on downloads is 1.2k. I read the forums help to make it faster but is usually on links systems and it looks totally diffrent than mine. Im done waiting for my files to take 6 days to download. I have windows vista and the firewall that i also use is windows live care any help please.

11. chrissynt

chrissynt Guest

Hi

I have a Belkin Wireless G Router and I gone into the setup screen but I can not find anything about Port Range Forwarding.

When I download Torrents I get about 5kb/s - it is sooooo slow. In the status bar on my screen - it says online - maybe firewalled. I am running Nortons as well.

Any suggestions how I can increase my download speed.

Many thanks for help.
    Tee

12. playernba

playernba Guest

when i set up ports and firwall and test the port with azureus it still says prot not open for me

13. chrissynt

chrissynt Guest

Yes I get the same problem - I have tried many port numbers.

14. Shmeebly

Shmeebly Member

Okay, Bittorrent says at the bottom right corner of the screen, Online, Ports open. And I'm still getting only up to 10kb/s my internet is about 6mb/s +. Why is it so slow?

15. bloodsuc

bloodsuc Guest

I TRY ALL THIS TINGS BUT ANY THUNG HELP ME I DO NOT KNOW WAHT TO TO...
    PLEASE ANY ONE CAN HELP ME
    THE PORT'S UN MY COMPUTER IS CLOSED BY THE NET Administrator...

16. brockim

brockim Guest

question. is it good/bad to use the ports 6881-6889 or maybe its now 6881-6999. anyways...

17. mistycat

mistycat Active member

ISP's may block those ports and it's better to use 1 or more depending on your client that is over 10,000 and is not the default or Azureus recommends those over 47,000 (not sure if it matters as long as it's over 10.000).

18. siggymas

siggymas Member

what ports are good for bitcomet?? i tried 65535 and its a bit good since its the only way that let my WAN light turn green.

19. colm88

colm88 Guest

Right, I'm using a wireless router.

I've forwarded my ports.
    Set up a static IP.
    Using utorrent but still getting speeds no more than 6kb/s.

Can anybody help?

20. snaglepus

snaglepus Member

Well, lets see, you have utorrent, so go to options > speed guide, and select 'test if port is forwarded correctly'.

It is my understanding that most people who have problems with bittorent do not really know if their port-forwarding is correct. Of course, if this I am not correct, then I apologize.

Anyway, are you sure you allowed utorrent free access through every firewall you have? Make sure windows firewall is off, any third party firewalls are disabled, and you do not have any other programs that monitor incoming connections on. You can work on filtering the port access through these programs after you have determined what the problems are.