1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.SLUS File format what is it for and how to use it?

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by n1239, Sep 24, 2005.

1. n1239

n1239 Member

Hi

I have 2 IMG files (680 MB each) one for each CD, after converting the image file into (567 MB) BIN/CUE and openning BIN files ended up with 2 files one is SLUS (297KB) and the other System.CNF file that says it is(speed dial)size 1 KB.

Can anyone tell me what to do with these files as i can't play the game on my PC tried burning the BIN file but get the same resulting fiels no EXE or installation files and Iam 100% sure that my download is comlpete.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

The slus file is like an ID file associated with that game. Put a PS or PS2 game in your PC and you'll notice that it has a speedial, slus id, and the actual game image. I need a little more info to help you. Are you burning PSX or PS2 games? What are you using to burn them? Are you playing them on PSX or PS2? It sounds like you're using bittorent and trying to burn the file before it is %100 downloaded. Post a little more info and I'd be happy to help you.

3. n1239

n1239 Member

Hi Tokijin

Thanks for the information and offering to help. The game is PS1/PS2 called Xenogears it is a two CD game I downloaded 100% and Bittornado (Torrent program) even said download complete and stopped i.e. Finished Icon appeared.

I have PS2 and Swap Magic 3 DVD/CD to play all formats import games.

As you said there are a SLUS file and System file these came from the IMG and SUB and CCD files extracted.

The programs tried using r Nero, NTI, UltraISO, ISOBuster. Managed to mount the game on a virtual drive but don't know what to do next?
    I have the programs DVDincreptor, VCDGear, Soft Disk, Daemon Tool, and Alcohol 120%. All of this program apart form Nero is trial version!

So now I have SLUS id (296 KB) and System file (67 Kb) that are much smaller than the original IMG 650 MB.

Can you please direct to the steps on how to play the game after mounting the file (IMG or ISO not sure which) using the programs that I have. Also can you tell me how to play the game in either PC or PS2. Do I need to download and EXE file for Xenogears.

Oh one more thing after burning the ISO and IMG and opening them I get the same files SLUS and System that I can't do anything with?

Please help!!!

4. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Take a deep breath N239, this isn't a difficult puzzle to solve. Swap Magic doesn't boot Psone backups and imports, only PS2 backups and imports. To boot PSone backups and imports you need a mod chip or a product called Breaker Pro which is a boot CD for PSone games very similar to what swap magic does for PS2 backups. If you want to play Xenogears (my all time favorite game btw) on your PS2 Check out the procedure for using Breaker Pro here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/230987 If you just want want to play it on your PC then you need a playstation emulator which you can pick up here: http://ngemu.com/download.php?action=cat&id=10 I reccomend epsxe or PSXeven as those seem to be the most stable for running most PSX games. After you download an emulator then you will need to find the PSX bios (basically the core of the playstation CD ROM drive) to be able to play the game. Seeing as how the PSX bios are copyrighted by SCEA, I can not tell you where to find them (Hint: Google PSX bios or playstation bios). Configuring different PSX games to run takes some time, patience, and configuring of different audio and video plug ins. It's a little tricky, so if you can't figure out don't get down on yourself. Don't worry about extracting the original .img format right anyway, any emulator worth it's salt will be able to play the original .img file. No converiing to .bin files should be necessary. You can do it, good luck.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  5. n1239

n1239 Member

Awesome! The program work fine and XEnogears runs perfectly. Thanks my friend.
    I don't want to sound rude but do you think there is way of improving the graphics I am using Petes D3D 1.76 but there are other Pete's graphics?

Thanks again because of you I don't look stupid in front of my brothers.

Respect.

6. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

I dunno which emulator you are using, but these are the video plug in's I am currently running. For Epsxe: (Go to config/video) Pete's open G.L. P.E. Ops Soft Driver. For PSXeven: (Hit advanced and go to plug in manager) I am using Pete's DX6 D3D driver. At first you will only see the plug ins that come with the emulator. You can download an arse load of them for ePSXe here: http://ngemu.com/psx/epsxe.php?action=plugins or PSXeven here:http://ngemu.com/psx/psxeven.php?action=plugins Just download them to the plugins directory in their respective folders and you should be able to select them in the emulator. I personally just downloaded a ton of em, because most games require different combinations of plug ins to run. Some require special graphics fixes which you can access by double clicking on the video plug in you're currently using. You'll get the hang of it through trial and error. Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  7. gavin_19

gavin_19 Member

Sorry to bump this but Xenogears is giving me the same problems too. Only files which show when I mount the image with Daemon are the system.cnf and slus files. It will work with ePSXe but my PC is pretty slow so I use my Xbox to play my psx games. Only problem is that when i burn the iso as usual ( Alcohol with Playstation preset ) all it shows are the two files i mentioned above. It wont boot the game. Is there any way to convert/extract this iso to the usual file format of my other psx games ie. the game's folder structure as well as system.cnf and slus files?

8. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Well that's not that unusual, a couple games have done that when I burned them. More likely you're burning them to fast. There's a PSX emulator for X Box? That's cool. Here's the correct method for burning PSX games: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/236278 What's the original extension of the file? Alcohol pretty much supports everything. Report back.

9. gavin_19

gavin_19 Member

thx for the reply. My mistake as i didn't RTFM so to speak. All I had to do was to make an xbox-compatible iso (.xiso) of the psx iso using Quix. Then burn that to disc with Nero (DAO). So when the disc is loaded the image files are present within the xiso to click on, rather than burning the actual psx iso as an image. Sounds a bit complicated maybe but I got all my games working 100% now. Any1 else stuck I can explain a bit better. cheers.