Sony Dru-50AX and 4X burning.

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by FamilyGuy, Jun 2, 2003.

1. FamilyGuy

FamilyGuy Member

Hi guys and gals. I'm just getting started and have a question.

I got the Sony Dru-500AX and flashed the firmware so it's up to date. I then tried to burn a few DVD's at 4X with Ritek 4X media but the burn was at ~2X and took 31 min. I used Nero and recordNow DX for the burns.

Just wondering:
    Did I not flash the firmware correctly? I checked and it comes up as 2.0F.
    Do I have a bum burner?
    Is it the Media? And if so what media have people with the Sony Dru-500AX have been using and got a true 4X burn.

Thanks

2. rickchild

rickchild Member

Quite a lot of people are having problems with Sony500AX and 4x.

The new firmware seems to have added a stricter media test and dvds not on the official list such as ritek and princo are not being allowed to burn at 4x. Mine worked ok at 4x on ritek before the new firmware.

Hopefully they will fix it with the next firmware.

3. FamilyGuy

FamilyGuy Member

Thanks for the reply.

So did you flash your burner with the old firmware after you noticed it quit burning the 4X Ritek? What firmware version did you previously have. Just curious.

4. rickchild

rickchild Member

I have not flashed back yet, as I was having some IDE problems and now its working, so as they say if it ain't broke...

It worked on the original C firmware. I updated to D and i think that worked ok too. Then I updated the firmware as it came out but I'm not too sure when it went wrong as I use a lot of 2x media as well as 4x media.

Another reason I haven't gone back is because i'm not sure if its just them screwing up, or if the drive is deciding it really isnt reliable to burn the media at 4x.