Sony DRU 510AK DVD burning problem

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by deeswift, Jan 31, 2004.

1. deeswift

deeswift Member

I recently had some problems with my burner, Sony DRU 510AK, and basically it wouldn't finalize any DVD-R's. To be honest I think this could be down to the type of media I was using, just some fairly cheap Mirror Platinum 4X, as this was all my local store had in stock. Still, I've used cheapo discs before and they were all successful writes. So to anyone who owns this drive, what kinda discs should I use for successful results? Should I avoid these discs I just used and stick to a particular brand?

Some details: The firmware was updated to v1.0f quite recently. Sony's drive check tool reports that my drive is working OK. My system is on XP pro, has an SCSI hard drive, and the burning software I used was Nero and Alcohol. I was burning ISO's in Nero and .MDS files in Alcohol (both were PS2 backups).

Thanks for any help.

2. deeswift

deeswift Member

Can I get ANY help here? I really need a solution to my problem. Thanks.

3. T-bone

T-bone Member

I have found that using DATAWRITE CLASSIC'Grey Top' 2x and 4x discs work great. I would not recommend the Red Top typr though, these don't seem to verify.
    The Datawrite dvds are available from www.bigpockets.co.uk and are quite cheap to buy.
    Hope this helps.

T-bone
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Help someone out today - Because tomorrow you may need help.[/small]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2004
  4. deeswift

deeswift Member

Thanks T-Bone, I'll consider using those.

5. stevedray

stevedray Member

Hi, been burning successfully since December on Memorex DVD-R & Tevion DVD+R.... just got 25 Mirror plat dvd+ & 25 DVD- from XLSHOP & they don't work.. all coasters so far & Im still on old firmware... where did u get the update from???????